I Forge Iron

Hello from NY

Hello Everyone! My Name is Camillo CS Tactical knives. I have been making knives part time for 6 years. I have made over 300 Knives mainly through stock removal. I typically work with Crucible steels (Cpm3v and S35) So you might be asking your self what brings me here? I have come to a fork in the road. (The next step) On one  side of that fork is going to a production style knife/ folders and invest in a CNC machine. The other side of the fork is to invest into the more traditional style of knife making and to pursue different pattern Damascus . (Hydraulic press, Anvil, ETC ) 

Well Thanks for having me and i look forward to all the Advice and Wisdom I receive. 

Cheers,

Camillo     

27 minutes ago, JHCC said:

Welcome aboard! Please add your location to your profile, and read the READ THIS FIRST tab at the top of of the page.

Got some pictures of your work so far?

Just updated! Thank you! I have a ton of photos I am new to forums and I was not sure if it was appropriate to share it here.  

26 minutes ago, Irondragon ForgeClay Works said:

Welcome from the Ozark mountains. The thread JHCC directed you to will help in getting the best out of the forum. It is full of tips some of which may keep the moderators happy.

Thank you I appreciate it! 

25 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

Come to the Dark Side---we play with FIRE!

Well said! Lmao. I think that is direction I am leaning. At the very least it will keep my work shop warmer haha

2 minutes ago, Cs Tactical Knives said:

I have a ton of photos I am new to forums and I was not sure if it was appropriate to share it here.

We do like to see people's work, so it's quite appropriate. See the guidelines in Read This First about sizing.

Where are you in New York? We have members all over the state, so there might be someone near you.

If you are using a computer with windows, you can r-click the picture and select edit. That will open Paint and check resize, that gives you the option to reduce it. Then in Paint select save as and add a number to the name on the picture so if the picture is say 000-100 make it 000-1001 and you will have both saved.

Two questions about the 4th knife from the top, the one that is sort of cleaver shaped:  1) Does the hole in the blade serve a particular purpose other than possibly hanging it on a nail or hook?  2) Is the large hole in the end of the handle intended for the pinkie finger when gripping the knife?

Nice work.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Welcome aboard Camillo, glad to have you. One of the site rules is no commercial site links. You can and probably should have your website URL in your header. That's good, just not posted to the forum in general. 

It's fine to post the name of a company, say the one I buy my refractories from, "Distribution International," You can search out and visit their website if you like, no problem. I'd just get my post edited and a stern word from the mods if I posted the link. 

IFI has some world class bladesmith / author members so you're in good company. 

No reason to limit yourself to one type knife though you'll get plenty of stock removal practice finishing forged blades. To be honest I really prefer a forged or ground fuller to one cut with an end mill. 

Frosty The Lucky.

I apologize for my ignorance but I am not sure how the proper way to respond to a member without quoting. So will try it this way 

Irondragon Thank you I appreciate your feedback. The Kukri was my favorite as well. It was a lot fun doing cut test with it lol 

Daswulf- Thank you! The knife you are referring to is all SAE. I do HVAC as my profession so I am a little biased with the hex sizes haha. The sizes I used were 1/4", 5/16ths, 3/8", 7,16", 1/2", 9/16" and a 3/16th square nut. 

George N. M.- Thank you! The hole towards the tip I added in their to give it the butcher knife look. The hole on the bottom functions  the same as a karambit style blade. Pinky in the standard hole. Pointer in reverse grip.

Frosty- Thank you! Are you referring to my profile with my website link? If so I was unaware of this. I will change that. Yes I do agree with you with the fullers. As of right now I do everything free hand with  1" contact wheel. It makes me nervous every time I do it. I have a a lot of paper weights do to a slip on the grinder haha

The way you responded in that post is perfect, we all will see your response, and that way there is not a lot of band width usage. We have members world wide and many have to rely on dial up internet or pay extra for data, so the forum tries to be frugal for them. Being frugal is in a Blacksmith's DNA.:)

Cs, cool, I like em. Always think it's a little dangerous on a knife to be using but in an emergency it could be useful if used safely. I like the versatility. If you do metric, 7mm, 8mm, 10mm 12mm, 13mm, 14mm, and 15mm would be the most useful. Unless you are a ford guy, then you'd have to add 5.5mm, 9mm and 11mm. Lol.

Cs:  Thank you, I suspected that the blade hole was just for the look of the thing and the grip hole was for a digit but I wasn't sure.

Just as a comment from an old Viet Nam infantryman, I will say that what a grunt is looking for in a "tactical" knife is something that is a last resort weapon but also a tool which can be used for other tasks such as cutting brush/bamboo, cutting roots when digging a foxhole, stripping insulation from wire, opening rations or other crates, and any other task requiring an edge, a point, or a short pry bar.  Any knife carried by a soldier will get used for many more mundane tasks than in actual combat.  I carried a Randall Model 18 which worked very well for my needs.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand." 

In your initial post it occurred to me, why not do both?  I have found, at least in the learning stages, the initial investment to get started blacksmithing is minimal in terms of equipment.  You could put together a solid fuel JABOD (Just a Box of Dirt) forge for next to nothing.  For an Anvil, There is a huge thread on Improvised anvils.  Minimal outlay to get started and you can still keep saving for a CNC and other stuff.  Heck, even Propane forges and a second hand anvils are cheap compared to some of the big CNC mills I have seen.

Oh, and those are some really nice knives!

IronDragon:  I'm afraid I am Cheap rather than Frugal.  If I was Frugal I wouldn't have so many duplicated tools in my shop and wouldn't go to the scrapyard every Saturday Morning...As it is when I see tools selling for scrap rate I buy them and add to the pile.  Of course College Students help whittle down the pile; both by passing tools on and by destruction of tools in class...They are much happier paying scrap rate to replace something they broke through carelessness!

CS: on a windows based computer you can also copy and paste and click on 'post as plain text' in the dark bar that appears under the pasted material, add a couple of "  and you are golden WITHOUT using the built in quote mechanism that wants to quote an entire post!-----"I apologize for my ignorance but I am not sure how the proper way to respond to a member without quoting."