I Forge Iron

Frazer's Corner of the Internet [photo heavy]

Frazer

Thanks Jennifer.

MJ, Stabilized wenge. Over time the cactus juice has taken on some color from the different woods I've stabilized (padauk seems to dye it the most). Now when I cure it all the grains that get filled in have that coppery-amber look.

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very cool! Lol, when I quit shoeing and went smithing, I swore I would never do the typical horse shoe art. Kept that promise. I have done some nice forgework with shoes but no welded cowboys. Long story short, nice horse shoe art! Clean, simple and elegant design. 

• 2 months later...

Thanks again to JHCC and Latticino for stopping by and making this rounding hammer with me. Final weight 800g (1 lb 12oz). Fitted with a shorter handle than I usually use, but I expect it will work nicely with the lighter head.

DSC00663.thumb.JPG.6b733b7bbfd0f84785713071de4c5c53.JPG

DSC00665.thumb.JPG.a2edcf826fc6602153bc19cc3aa12bed.JPG

Other items that were finished earlier this year:

Damascus clip point

DSC00653.thumb.JPG.c0734ea0852a8314e50ac4823a5ae370.JPG

DSC00655.thumb.JPG.13d20bd94531a0cfeabb247c7d3d88b5.JPG

DSC00657.thumb.JPG.6c2719e0ec586f60c7c7756a3f6efdc1.JPG

"Heart-Art" for my uncle and his family.

DSC00651.thumb.JPG.cc09dfba97e50c75674c2114b4b31c0a.JPG

Good looking work -- glad I could help!

(I would also add for the sake of those who have not had the pleasure of forging with Frazer how impressed I am with his thoughtfulness and skill. What we have here is an excellent demonstration of what happens when natural talent meets serious dedication, when putting in the hours at the anvil really pays off. If you ever get a chance to forge with this guy, do it.)

Agreed. Frazer not to toot your horn there buddy but when I saw you forge the first time I was seriously impressed, and a bit jealous haha but you did inspire me to work on some things and I'm a better smith for it.

Too much tooting :wacko:

Mark, I'm glad I was able to help in some way. However, it seems to me that you had plenty of inspiration and an impressive body of work from well before we crossed paths.

Anyhow, as long as we're waxing sentimental, I'll say that having a great group of folks here, at our local blacksmithing school and in our NYSDB group offering guidance/inspiration has been invaluable.

... Okay, back to our regularly scheduled program: The Friday Punapalooza

Sure has been great watching you grow as a smith..  Super nice too that you take an interest in an aspect and then explore it. 

Most will take an interest in a facet and then let it pass by..    

I have some pieces of wood I'd like to send for stabilizing..  Not ready on my end yet, but just wanted to throw that out there. 

I need to get to RocAFC...for obvious and maybe not so obvious reasons...

As for my body of work, like my ex wife would tell you, when I start something I start at 300% haha, I can't ease into anything. 

JHCC thanks, unfortunately my shop is just too small. When I buy my next house it'll be a different story. One of the prerequisites is it has to come with an already established barn or shop building. 

Jennifer, there are just so many areas to explore... What's fun/interesting to me (even if it's not surprising) is when I revisit an earlier topic everything seems to go easier. Other techniques I picked up along the way can be applied to previous projects so each rabbit hole builds on the other.

I've found the best skill builder for me is/was tongs.. Particularly tongs with welded reigns. For a long time it seemed I needed to make a pair of tongs every time I started a new project. Once I had a pretty good array I went back and remade the earlier (ugly, but functional) pairs. There is material planning, matched pairs (even if they aren't copies of each other, a simple example would be box jaws), moving parts, planned dimensions, etc., etc. all wrapped up in one project.

Perfect timing since I just got another gallon of cactus juice! Feel free to send whatever you'd like stabilized whenever you're ready. (The offer stands for others who might be interested as well).

Mark, Genesee region meets every 3rd Saturday at the Arc & Flame if you want to make the trip. If that doesn't work for you I might be able to set something up outside of the NYSDB umbrella.

Mark,

We aren't all that organized.  Join the club, it's cheap, and there are meetings (unfortunately also on the weekends) for the Buffalo based chapter as well (Niagara) on alternate weekends.  Typically our meetings are a bit of a free for all, but there is usually a demo to start and plenty of smiths hanging around to chat and forge with.  The website isn't great, but it does have some good information: https://nysdb.org/

I think it is in process of being upgraded.

Dan, Mark is an active Niagara region member so he's familiar with their meeting structure, which is pretty similar to ours.

Mark, I'll try to keep you in the loop with who's doing the demo and what they plan to do, but we usually don't plan far ahead.. Sometimes someone offers a month ahead, sometimes a a week before the meeting... Other times it's the day of and we do an impromptu sort of affair, but it almost always starts ~9am.

(We must have pressed send at the same time)

Edited by Frazer