I Forge Iron

Kettle Head

Scott NC

Ah, what are friends for if not knowing each other? 

A franken bucket could be most anything made from or into buckets.

A Franklin Bucket sparks images in my dented brain. I see a riveted together kite on a long cable sort of string, maybe the tail is connected to the support. (Ehh, details for later.) At the "ground" end of the cable, kite string is a plumpish balding Franklinstein sculpture and hanging from the cable is a bucket with lightning bolts connecting with Franklinstein's finger. His fringe of hair would of course be sticking straight out, maybe flashing lights for eyes and (ears?)

Frosty The Lucky.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there an Ingolstadt in Boston or Philadelphia?  We're talking Ben Franklin so there'd be a whiff of perfume and ale in the air. Can't attract the ladies smelling like ozone and fear you know. :ph34r:

Leave it to me to add things to your bucket, we'll get you settled in permanently one way or another. :)

Frosty The Lucky.

Yes, yes.... I have gotten my Frankenstein and Franklinstein wires crossed again.  I don't know how these things happen.  :blink:  

I doff my hat to your imagination, my friend.  That would be a fantastic sculpture, I can see it in my minds eye.  I tried to think of how to improve on it but came up empty!  :)  

Ah, you spark images and the voices draw pictures I just write them down. If you build a version you'll change and improve it in the doing. If I contributed I'll feel honored and the voices will be silly happy for who knows how long.

Free associating things just happens in my head, crossed wires sparks images, I cross them without effort or worry. It's how my mind works. Crossing other people's wires is a bonus. It's what the greatest game is about. Anything can be punned, words or things.

It makes me feel good if it sparks images and idea for you. :D

Frosty The Lucky.

Lol, if you do bring a Frankenbucket to life then your most certainly gonna have to do it on a stormy night and scream it’s ALIVE! Loud enough to make everyone within hearing distance feel uncomfortable! 

another idea I just had was you could make a whole set of the old monster movies to go with him so he don’t get lonely

count spatula, the wolf fram…filter?

I got nothing for the mummy and phantom of the opera, your on your own for them lol, 

Indeed I do.  It's been known to occur....  :) 

I am very grateful for all the inspiration, ideas and skills I have gleaned from this place.  

As far as a mummy goes, I have a few ideas, the more I think about it I may make one.  I'd build a rough "skeleton" figure out of bar stock and cover it with long thin strips of torch cut, rusty sheet metal, heating with a torch as I go, wrapping tightly and overlapping it in places to represent the ancient tattered cloth.  Maybe leave a gap here and there so one could see the "bones" underneath.  A couple of ominious shiny ball bearing "eyes", kind of set back in the sockets for effect.  Also, some indirect green led lighting from the sculpture base would be neat.

I really should be concentrating on that pelican instead, but Halloween IS coming up!  

I'll think up an apt name for it later....

The Mummy needs articulated legs so it can advance on people!  Now to forge some metal Tanna leaves!

Actually Ben Franklin and his experiments with electricity was part of the background that hatched the book Frankenstein---along with a volcanic eruption that resulted in "The Year Without a Summer".

I heard of some rumbling in Alaska lately; Frosty you eating chile again?

Something is always erupting up here, recently there have been a couple on the Aleutian chain constantly putting on a show. Mt' Wrangle is always steaming and blowing ash but we don't get dusted by that one. I'm kind of bummed it's been almost 20 years since we could see an erupting volcano from home. <sigh>

I'm WAY out of practice, I stick to mild chiles and who came up with the silly notion of too much Stubbs BQ sauce?

Weren't some mummies wrapped in shrouds and only secured with tied strips? 

Frosty The Lucky.

"Weren't some mummies wrapped in shrouds and only secured with tied strips?"

Even creepier...  Might have to consider 2 versions.  This all goes in my project notes for future reference.

15 hours ago, George N. M. said:

Nodebt, "Ferrenhotep" or "Rusticlees"?

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Rusticlees.  Perfect!  Tutanclinkermon for version II. :)

Thomas, I haven't seen it but it's on the reading list now.  I am starting to rebuild my library selectively after thinning it out for the move. 

"numerous illustrations show Egyptian metalsmiths hammering, chiseling, and casting metal objects – copper and bronze"

On 10/1/2021 at 2:54 PM, Frosty said:

I see a riveted together kite on a long cable sort of string, maybe the tail is connected to the support.

Now you got my half caffeinated brain trying to figure a good support structure for a kite sculpture.

Optimally just using cable as the string but it likely would need a rod to hold up the kite as I don't know of any cable strong enough to stand and support the weight on its own even if the kite were made of aluminum sheet.  On a small scale possibly but not on a larger scale.

A kite could also make a cool weather vane.  

Two ideas occur to me. One would be to make a pair of swages to give a cable-twist texture to a solid bar, and the other would be to untwist a length of cable and replace its center strand with such a bar. The first would probably be stronger, but the latter would probably look more realistic.

Trentonkhamun?

A long tail is what I was thinking of for supporting the kite, the cable/string would make a second point of support for a more stable sculpture. 

If the "string" was almost vertical a pivot where it met the kite would allow it to weather vane. That causes hanging the Franklin bucket a little more . . . interesting problem.

Frosty The Lucky.

5 hours ago, JHCC said:

Two ideas occur to me. One would be to make a pair of swages to give a cable-twist texture to a solid bar, and the other would be to untwist a length of cable and replace its center strand with such a bar. 

Those are two great ideas, I'm glad they occured to you.  I've often wondered how to use cable in various projects without having it sag (insect eye stalks, tentacles, etc... :)).  Perfect solution.  Thank you!   

• 3 months later...

Lol... I forgot all about it.  I'll have to see what I can do.  I have a long 220 extension cord to my tin shed (for now) shop but it overheats and blows the breaker.  I tried making a pig sculpture when I discovered this.  A shop build is on the way.  Just moving and all, the wheels are grinding slowly.... I may try brazing one together, if I can lay my hands on a metal bucket.  It won't be up to Jerry's vision though... Sigh....  :)

On 10/1/2021 at 2:54 PM, Frosty said:

A franken bucket could be most anything made from or into buckets.

A Franklin Bucket sparks images in my dented brain. I see a riveted together kite on a long cable sort of string, maybe the tail is connected to the support. (Ehh, details for later.) At the "ground" end of the cable, kite string is a plumpish balding Franklinstein sculpture and hanging from the cable is a bucket with lightning bolts connecting with Franklinstein's finger. His fringe of hair would of course be sticking straight out, maybe flashing lights for eyes and (ears?)

I may come close though!