I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

Just ran my first fuller. Far from perfect, but cleanable. I started with a Dremel to start the cut, then went with progressively bigger grinding tips. Wanted to maintain as much control as possible. 

Got the other side roughed in. Much straighter than the first.... straight edge guides are a good thing. 

I need to draw out the tang a bit still to allow for a longer grip... 

Think I'm going to build a temporary long trench forge for the heat treat because i cant heat the full thing in my forge.

20230621_092017.jpg

• Replies 26.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What did I do in the shop today? NOTHING! Just like the past 44 days. I had my hopes up I'd get the cast off today and I did, but they put another one on. Three more weeks. I was all perturbed about it, then I started reading the thread about blacksmithing from a wheel chair. I got nothing to kick about. My problems are temporary. I can maneuver on a knee scooter. I can't get all sweaty dirty, but tonight I'm going to get SOMETHING done. Hopefully set up my new induction forge/TIG cooler.  

Jeremy, Randy , thanks for the inspiring examples.

Cut my mobile welding table down to make it into a cart for the MIG welder. There is now substantially less horizontal junk accumulation space in the shop.

IMG_6886.thumb.jpeg.8c3cbe4d81a4a624eb444bc41f1062a6.jpeg

I may at some point add some shelves, mount a vise on top, or even move the welder to the top and turn the entire base into storage space.

Purple Bullet, lately I can tend to go that stint from just being worn out and tired from work and kids. My shop is a mess, all I even want to do it clean it out and restructure it. Best I can do lately is move a little here and there.  Always look at the bright side of things. You'll get there. In the meantime sketch and plan. 

Thanks, Daswulf - I can't afford to sweat too much in the cast so I'm trying to do a little at night when the temp gets down below 80 F. I did manage last night to disconnect my old induction unit, move the cart near the front of the shop and put the new induction unit on it. That would have been maybe 20 minutes of work that took me three hours, slowly and carefully planning each step, but it is progress. Tonight I hope to get the TIG cooler and 220V hooked up. It's progress.

Even all that seems a lot with a cast on. You'll get there. 

I remember when I cut a tendon in my finger and couldn't do much of anything. Never wished more that I could go back to work lol. I sure dont have idle hands. Dont do anything to prolong having a cast. 

First demo since last October and the Fitchburg forge in competition. 

Also first real forging day since I dislocated my elbow back in Dec 2022. 

Today was a demo at the Steam and Gas show in Orange Mass.  

5 pairs or jaw sets for chain makers tongs for the class " beginner and beyond"  at Peters Valley, NJ

They have no chain makers tongs and welding is covered on day 1 or 2 of the class. 

I had no 7/16R in the trailer so finished tongs will have to wait. 

3/4" sq starting material. 

Also a little demo on leaves and organic shapes in metals. 

20230624_150753[1].jpg

Very impressive Alexandr! And a very hard act to follow…

I got time in the shop today and started on the first of 3 stake flippers for gifts when I visit my family in a couple weeks.

A9F6882D-B194-4B8D-AA84-41E2858C87DE.thumb.jpeg.39eb6b2fea99f16c922b3e5e1d37b635.jpeg

Started out as 3” of 1-1/16” round 304 stainless steel. Doesn’t meet the sketch I drew up, but pretty close.

Keep it fun,

David

I'm way behind on this thread. The railings look great John, simple clean and strong, I like them a lot. Your welding cart is really improving, lots of cool features to steal, thank you. Making the Molson keg portable is something I think you could market to college students.

Beautiful as always Alex. You have some lucky customers!

Nice flipper Jennifer I love the twist may we see a close up please? 

I have good luck using 5/8" x 5 1/2" square for flippers and can draw them out long enough to work on outdoor firepit grills and still have plenty for a comfortable handle. Not saying you should change you have a fine product it just makes me cringe to think about drawing 1 1/16" rnd so far. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Today I lit for the first time both my kerosene/diesel fuel 2000F Aeroil burner and my new to me Gasoline blow torch. 

There is something to me about old gear that somehow makes sense. 

20230620_202302[1].jpg

20230620_202313[1].jpg

I don't have enough confidence yet to fully open it up.   It should burn nearly blue when fully Choochin. 

And here is the gasoline torch.  

Both items have been pressure tested and cleaned before trying. 

I might have to clean the gasoline torch 1 more time. 

Pressure tests were good with no leaks. 

1 hour ago, Frosty said:

Your welding cart is really improving, lots of cool features to steal, thank you.

Here are two more: a cleat for the cables (power, electrode, and ground) and a rod across the back of the basket, for holding spring clamps. 

IMG_6896.thumb.jpeg.4eaa5361b9368ad560ef3eb20bddf65b.jpeg

Frosty, I need the mass for the end finial. I could have upset it, but I find it easier to draw out than upset. Here’s some closer pictures of the twist:

D26432AF-DEE4-4677-B57B-52315BE18025.thumb.jpeg.a422d892cb0f4de7e82e852c108dd922.jpegEBB73712-7723-41D0-9EF7-9AC558701115.thumb.jpeg.41a74badd14d179fce03cb8e138f2933.jpeg

1/2” square, with the corners chamfered to 5/8” across, then chased the flats created on the corners. Nothing on this one is very clean, but a couple new techniques for me that need practicing…

Keep it fun,

David

Jennifer, tell us more about the aeroil burner.  I've never seen a unit like that and it looks like it could be a handy thing when you need to bring lots of heat to the workpiece as opposed to bringing the workpiece to the heat.  I'm going to guess that the fuel tank is pressurized by a hand pump like the gasoline torch.  Interesting thing!