I Forge Iron

Am I wrong

jwms

You're gonna love those strip LED's.  So much brighter, at least to me.  And, in your part of the world...they come on with full brightness in COLD weather (don't have to warm up like the fluorescents)!!

Oh YEAH I love LEDs, I have a couple in the shop now and they're brighter than the incandescents I'm using now. Better, the strips I paid $49 for then are down to $29 now. My problem in the shop is access to the ceiling to hang them, Deb will kill me if I even buy a step ladder that'll reach. 

Have you noticed LEDs messing with radio reception or other electronics? I hear things but nothing steady or consistent. 

Frosty The Lucky.

I have LED's all over the house and shop.  The only time I have had interference was from one particular LED bulb in the shop and since I only turn it on infrequently it does not make too much static on the shop radio to be a nuisance.

LEDs have a color temperature that can run from orange/red range, "warm white" (read yellow) to daylight.  This has a GREAT influence of what you see as it actually colorizes your world, like looking through colored filters.  

image.png

Choose the LED with the proper color temperature that you need.  

I hate having to calculate color by Kelvin temp. Sure it's scientifically correct but hardly necessary for the house or shop. 

Seriously it's pretty meaningless when a majority of folk can't convert between F and C scales, now they want us to covert color to temp Kelvin? Ask somebody in a store what Kelvin means. The almost most common answer I got was being corrected, the comic strip is, CALVIN and Hobbs. 

Lastly, how do you know that color actually IS 3,500K? White, no problem but my eye/brain interface isn't calibrated in K. I think whoever thought this up should be given a wedgie, deprived of lunch money and given a real job. 

Oh, the new basement LED strip lights are 4,000k. <sigh> Bright white.

Frosty The Lucky.

My shop LED lights are bright white (daylight, I think they call it).  At first they were a little "too" bright, but I have begun to like it more for the shop.  I'm with you, Frosty on the Kelvin temp thing....not my cup of tea.  In the house, we don't like the daylight version.

5600K is very very close to natural Sunlight, less than that is yellow to pink, above that is bluer, there is no conversion to worry about,  I have 5700K in the house Love my sunlights.

• 2000k-3000k for the warm white and yellow glow of flames and household bulbs.
  • 3000k-4500k for tungsten lights and the early and late parts of the day.
  • 4600k-6500k for direct sunlight, overcast skies, and HMI lights.

When I worked across the street at the National Radio Astronomy Observatory we used to joke that you could tell astronomers that had experience with solar observations vs those who "only worked nights".  The solar ones would park so their cars would be in the shade when they got off work and the night observers would park where there was shade when they arrived at work.

Man, I LOVE AC in the car, pickup, those 70f temps are unbearable. The folks used to make one of us kids run out and start the car about 10 minutes before we left to let the AC s it'd be bearable. I do NOT miss 4x60 air conditioning!

Solar would be nice if there was much possible sunlight during the part of the year we really need lights. Also if it's very cold the batteries don't take or hold much of a charge. I have a solar LED motion sensing light above the porch that seems to work pretty well, I might pick up a few more. I'd REALLY like one with a more remote solar cell so I could have light IN the wood shed.  Oh, they're not hard to find I just don't think about wanting one when I'm somewhere that carries them or can answer questions. It's a TBI thing. <sigh>

Frosty The Lucky.