I Forge Iron

Support my leg vise

duyhien

Yes, I was there 1970-71.  Obviously, I was in the south. I spent time in Saigon, Bien Hua, and the Da Nang areas, both in the cities and the country.  A beautiful country and mostly good people.  I would like to go back some day.  It would be better times than when I carried a rifle and wore a helmet.  I have looked t some of the areas in the jungle where I was and they are now all rice paddies and villages.  I'm glad that no more boys have to die there.  There was too much of that when I was there. 

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

2 hours ago, Anachronist58 said:

Your vise is beautiful.  There is nothing I dislike about it. 

Thanks for your compliment. Im so lucky to own it :)

2 hours ago, George N. M. said:

I was there 1970-71.   A beautiful country and mostly good people.  I would like to go back some day. 

i'm so glad to meet you here in this situation. Vietnam now is better and we have changed so much then.  A peaceful country and nice people still.
My uncle was also a solider, but not lucky as you, he died in that war.
You should come back here again and see it yourself how Vietnam has changed, and hopefully you will have more good memories about us. And about this tool, I've been collecting quite a lot of tools from USA that you American bought to Vietnam since that war.

If I ever get back there and get to Hanoi and if we still have contact through I Forge Iron we may be able to meet.  I'm sorry to hear about your uncle.  Here is one verse from a poem that was written about the young men who died in World War 1.

"They will not grow old as we who are left grow old.

Age shall not weary them nor the years condemn.

At the going down of the sun and in the morning,

We will remember them."

Tell your family that you have received sympathy and condolences from an old American soldier who was on the other side of that war for the loss of your uncle.

I've been in Vietnam in 2013 myself when I visited Ho chi Minh city with my fiancé as well as her sister & husband. Her parents are from vietnam, in the Hanoi region. They said people they talked to thought they were korean because they had apparently an accent from growing up in Finland.

On 8/18/2020 at 3:21 AM, George N. M. said:

If I ever get back there and get to Hanoi and if we still have contact through I Forge Iron we may be able to meet. 

Thank you for your encouragement. And I would love to see you here in Vietnam one day.

now I have an idea on how to mount my vise so it is movable. Thanks for the post!!!  Love the internet. Here are people from all over the world - literally - sharing questions and ideas and making new friends!!!

That is a very interesting vise and stand. We see a lot of people building stands like that, but I don't recall seeing one that clearly was made by the manufacturer for that specific vise. Those building their own would do well to note how solidly this is built and with so much mass for stability in use.