I Forge Iron

Testing some rebar: can it be forged, hardened or forge welded?

My uncle allways wore a bow tie, never a long tie.  I never knew why until recently. It seems that all employees where he worked were required to wear white shirt and neck tie. Typical business attire of the 50's-60's.  But due to working around moving machinery, he and his entire crew all wore bow ties.  

Even though I don't have them out at the airfield where I work, when I host contractors for meetings and they ask me about dress code I usually say business casual (and then they show up in ties).  I've taken to telling them that I will be very angry if I see any ties- what some fail to recognize is that there's the threat of getting choke-slammed by the tie.

I stayed out of the tie zone and now out here, "dress up" means clean bluejeans.  I used to attend "cowboy church" where folks would show up on horseback and wear hats during the service---like the Pastor for that matter.

My Father was in Management and wore suits so much that he had one to wear on weekends as he wasn't comfortable without one.  Me, when I was interviewed for a position in academic research and my Boss's Boss did the interview in shorts, a grungy T shirt and Birkenstocks, I was telling myself I'd take a 5K cut in salary over the other job offer I had that was a "Tie" situation for the relaxed dress code.  Instead they offered 3 times as much vacation and a hefty increase in salary to boot---perhaps they didn't realize that having to live in a small rural town in NM was a big plus to me!

I still have a couple of ties; but I haven't worn any in *years*!

With the beards, you might try a beard butter or beard oil.  I hate calling them that, but works wonders for the itchyness/scratchyness when it's coming in. I grew/regrew one every month for a couple of years between drill sessions with the Guard, and had one most of the time I was in Iraq.  I prefer having a beard, but I'd have to win over wife number three, and I'm still worn out from convincing the first two.

Give beards time.  Mine grew in lousy until I was in my mid-30s.  Patchy, and the middle was missing out of the mustache.

Cool video Joe, you never fail to impress.

1 hour ago, ThomasPowers said:

My Father was in Management and wore suits so much that he had one to wear on weekends as he wasn't comfortable without one. 

Same here, Thomas.  In fact, one time back in the 70's my parents were vacationing in one of their favorite towns, Red River, NM with Mom enjoying the hummingbirds and Dad fly fishing.  I decided to drive out and spend a couple of days and fish with Dad.  When I pulled up beside their motor coach and got out, Mom was enjoying her little winged friends and reading a book.  I asked where Dad was.   She pointed down towards the stream.  I walked down to say "Hi" and, YUP,  I'm not fibbing, Dad was in waders and was wearing a Sport Coat while fishing the stream.  That image of him still sticks in my mind.  Couldn't believe it then, still can't and wouldn't if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes.

I wore a coat a tie for a lot of years at our family business, but I worked on equipment in the plant so much that I finally traded in my Sport Coat for a heavy canvas apron to protect my "office clothes".........................but no coat and tie, for sure.

I remember my Father mowing the lawn wearing a sports coat.  I once pointed out to him that his hair was longer than mine if you let the "comb over" dangle...I'm going for the "Bald Santa" look.  My wife prefers me bearded and so even in the heat out here I keep it.  And with the "isolation" mandate I've grown it long enough to braid.

I remember when I first grew a mustache and my Mother asked me how long I was going to grow it: "Till I can tie it around my ears!"  Never got it that long.  Had a van dyke in college and slowly have been shifting my hair from my head to my chin nowadays.

I let my beard grow when I moved to Alaska and wore it in all it's thinness until around 94 when I started shaving for summer. A good friend's kids didn't recognize me the first time they saw me, recognized my voice but not my face. The younger one, Crystal screamed for her mother after maybe 20 seconds of giving me weird looks. Phyllis didn't recognize me until I spoke. 

Shaving for summer lasted until I married Deb, she much prefers me in a beard. 

Never tried a fancy beard, just mine trimmed to be even. . . occasionaly.

I'm shaved now, just now in fact. Stupid wearing a mask over a beard, even to prevent the wearer's bugs from getting on others. After a couple months clean shaven I'm REALLY looking forwards to getting rid of the shaver.

Frosty The Lucky. 

2 hours ago, Randy Griffin said:

Having major surgery Friday but after that, I'm growing it back. ;)

They're removing something and you're growing it back?! :o  

One of your parts goes bad, they remove it and grow you a new one! Ain't modern medicine something! Hmmmm, all of me is showing wear I wonder what a new one costs. 

Frosty The Lucky.

• 2 months later...
On 5/31/2020 at 4:35 AM, Hans Richter said:

Below is a photo of a set of quick-made tongs to take my filigree Raku Ceramics out of the glowing kiln for reduction in the wood chip barrels. 

Hans,

Making tongs to remove my FeCl smoked raku was what got me interested in blacksmithing several years ago. I am just now banging on softened steel and I haven't made a raku pot in about 7 years! My initial notion was to use rebar as well. I went so far as to get my MAP torch and some kaowool and try to get some rebar super hot. Grr, didn't work.

Now I dream of incorporating iron work into my ceramic work.

Keep on keepin' on.

Taylor