I Forge Iron

Grumpy Thomas

ThomasPowers

Went to the pancake supper last night.  I was moderate but still had terrible BG numbers until in the middle of the night I figured out it wasn't the pancakes it was a misinserted set for my insulin pump, (done right before the dinner).  Had a decade of doing it manually with NO issues; but now they have a spring loaded gadget to do it for you and with a failure rate above 1% in my sample.  So changed it out for another one and didn't have to wake my wife to take me to the ER again. My co-pay was only a couple of thousand the last time I had ketoacidosis.  I was up about every 1.25 hours to check though. Really dragging today; but the woodstove was fed all night long!

Colonoscopy prep is no fun, but my personal favorite so far was discovering during recovery from my throat surgery that Percocet makes me throw up and Vicodin makes me break out in a rash.

The good news is that since I have known allergies to both of those, the chances of my getting addicted to prescription opioids went waaaaaaaaay down.

Colonoscopy  one of those "Age Barriers" one gets to cross.  At least they put me out for the procedure.

So John what do they give you for pain; alcohol and a bullet to bite? When I was 28 and had an emergency gall bladder surgery; I was kind of happy that the pain shot was so painful I didn't really want another.  Had a knot in my hip area for 2 years after the first one.

They started me on the Percocet; when that made me throw up, they put me on the Vicodin. When that had built up enough in my body to trigger the allergic reaction (whole-body hives), they switched me to high-dose ibuprofen. By that time, the throat had started healing sufficiently that the ibuprofen was able to handle what was left of the pain. Alcohol would have been nice, though.

I don't recall the name of the oral med but when I was getting my diabetes under control one of the meds made me pass gas almost constantly and it was like a chemical warfare agent. You know it's bad when the dogs leave the room. 

Colonoscopy prep pretty well debunks the whole pork stays undigested in your digestive system for weeks myth. I saw everything in my digestive system as it was flushed out! The worst part was no coffee! I came to during my first colonoscopy and started making wise cracks till the gas passer put me back under. I got to enjoy my last one fully but called a halt when the doc started trying to jam it around a corner like it was a battering ram. 

Deb keeps trying to list morphine as an allergen on my data sheets because it makes me mean. :rolleyes: The stuff makes everybody mean! Pain meds tend to make me grumpy. If the hospital staff would just do what I told them it wouldn't I wouldn't be a problem. Seriously the cause and effect is pretty obvious.  It doesn't take any pain meds to make me grumpy in a hospital.

Frosty The Lucky.

Everyone was trying to get a transfer in place ahead of time?

I've been scoped from the bottom, from the top and even did the "swallow the camera pill and wear what looks like a suicide bomber vest around town as we get pictures of everything in between."   I seem to have occult hemoglobin on a regular basis.  Found nothing till the last time from the bottom and had 1 small polyp.  Now the cysts in my spleen and the node on my lung helps get my deductibles out of the way early in the year.  I'll get it all fixed when the Mother Ship gets back...

Metformin has a way of biting you especially if you eat high carb stuff. The tilurning point for Sandy was victosa

Opiates lower my BP, I pass out on codeine and my heart stops on morphine, and as I broke p4 on my left ring finger and chipped p4 on the pinky and am still wearing a half xxxx splint somthing more than meloxican and tylinal would be nice.

You and me both on the coffee, and I share the waking up with Jerry. Rather painful.

I had 2 shots of morphine and a lortab all within a 30 minute span when I had bladder surgery. They don't cut you for bladder surgery so you can imagine how they get in there. By that time I didn't care if it hurt or not. 

Steve, did they say no food or drink? I think that means coffee too. Glad I'm in Alabama. :ph34r: 

Comatose is my favorite hospital time yet, even the food wasn't bad, never got close to my nose or taste buds! 

Their diebetes control procedures are as bad as I've seen anywhere but the staffs are really small and they're always packed. They'd check my BG inject the insulin an hour or so later then it'd be on average 3 hrs. later food would arrive. About 1/2 - 1 hr later they'd take my BG again and smile if it was over 300!  Another thing I thought "special" was the healthy balanced diet that consisted of primarily salt free starches. 

The coffee was pretty good though, hot would've been better but it was something.

Frosty The Lucky.

CRS; I would gladly exchange your two finger injuries for the two concussions I had when I bounce tested my noggin on concrete when my blood sugar tanked one year. I've come to a bit of peace over the fact that some stuff I used to know is gone for good.  My wife says "You still recognize me; so you're good to go on a while."  If I could just remember to say "Who are you?"  I could arrange to truncate my life line rather abruptly.

Randy; I haven't had a bladder surgery; but I did have a TURP; all I can say is Bloodclots!

Frosty; our local hospital can't deal with intravenous insulin like is used for Diabetic Keto Acidosis; which is why last time I spent 14 hours in the ER where they were able to monitor things; still better than getting medevaced to a hospital in the city that could do it on an inpatient basis. (However that incident over Christmas is why I was trying to get things under control at home without waking up my wife---told her about it *after* I had the new set in place and the numbers were coming down. I needed a spotter as I had to guess what to bolus as the old set hadn't worked. I guessed pretty well!

My dentist will no longer prescribe any pain killers per govt regs. He said to just take a combination of Tylenol and Advil. Lucky for me I have a high pain threshold.:(

I'm scheduled for my annual CT scan on the third of March. The worst part of it is NPO (no food or drink) and having to drink the radioisotopes  for 2 hours prior to the test.

We had to rent a motel room for my first one in NM---Dr was in the city and I did not want to take the prep "on the road". No good trees along the interstate where we are at!

Steve---think of the bright side!  For a brief shining moment NOBODY can claim you are full of it!   

My wife has done one and refused any others; at 73 she thinks her chances are pretty good.  Her ex-husband later died of cancer due to refusing the standard tests.  I'm only 63 and not allowed to skip any of them. With a polyp they want one every 3 years now.

Heh, heh, heh. My, dazed as I come out of an episode state, has saved me from committing spousal suicide. However, you can probably get away with using a corny pick up line on the missus when you come around. You can spin with whatever makes her happiest or least angry. :ph34r:

When I earned my TBI  Deb said I was asking everybody I saw how long I'd been there. Not "where am I," how long.  It's the first thing I remember saying and being ignored by 5-6 people standing around my bed till I shouted HEY! how long have I been here? Only two of the whole group looked at me and rolled their eyes and Deb wasn't one of them! I started talking more or less coherently and the hospital stay turned into a normal one from there. <shudder> 

Boy, I'm close to hitting submit and Deb yells, "It's a nice day, lets get out of the house. Want to see a  movie, it's $8, matinee Wednesday?" So off we go and saw the latest release of, "Call Of The Wild," I get back and the thread has left most of my reply dated and . . . Nevermind. 

Good rendition of the movie, we had a heck of a time with maybe 20 people in the theater and no lines anywhere. 

Frosty The Lucky.