I Forge Iron

Hammer identification?

Allodin

Good Morning,

Looks like someone touched it up with a surface grinder, or, it is still new and nobody has radiused the edges yet. The Flatter will leave marks from the sharp edges, they need radius on all 4 edges and corners. Yes, it is a Flatter. It is used to smooth out hammer marks or irregularities.

Neil

Hi swedefiddle, yes i cleaned it up, it was in very rough shape when i purchased it. Just hit it with a scuff cookie.  Thank you for the help! I was told it was a old auto body hammer but i knew it wasnt since thats what i do for a living lol. Thanks again

Welcome aboard Allodin glad to have you. If you put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many members live within visiting distance.

Folks who don't know what a blacksmith's top tool is often misidentify them as body tools or special hammers. A flatter serves the same function as one of your planishing hammers. Our version of a dolly usually weighs better than 50kilos 100 lbs. 

I'm going to wait and see what a "scuff cookie" is before guessing. It might have been a perfect name for some of my little sister's early cookie making experiences.

Her first batch of baking powder biscuits came out beautiful darkish golden brown but were brick hard. Even the crows couldn't do anything with them after dropping them on a concrete deck from 30m or so. So, after watching the poor birds dropping and picking for a while the helpful lad that I am I went out with a hammer and crushed them up and the crows pigged out. They spent the rest of the day hopping around squawking because they couldn't get off the ground. 

It was years before she'd even bake Pillsbury biscuits let alone scratch make a batch. I can still get slugged for mentioning grounding crows. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Welcome aboard Allodin. I always recommend reading this to help getting the best out of the forum.  READ THIS FIRST

Frosty, my MIL used to make biscuits that my FIL called hockey pucks, he didn't get many to say the least.:)

Finally found something even Google was stumped on "scuff cookie".:lol:

2 minutes ago, Irondragon Forge & Clay said:

Frosty, my MIL used to make biscuits that my FIL called hockey pucks, he didn't get many to say the least.:)

Oh, did the first biscuits delivered puckwise do enough damage :wacko: he stopped calling them that?  I  know I stopped asking Scoot if she'd made another batch of bricks, etc. when she developed a throwing arm and decent aim. 

Looking back I recall the first batch of sourdough biscuits I baked in a wood cook stove, it came out much like the first batch I baked in a cast iron dutch oven. No, you do NOT want a roaring fire in the cook stove even though the fire box is so little, any more than you want to put a shovel full of coals on the lid of a dutch oven and for the same reason. 

Jer

Scuff cookie:

20200203_150316.thumb.jpg.3376ce80eed1645d55d9163391188830.jpg

Dont use them to often at the house so i could not get a pic of one till i was at work. We use them mostly for rust on hubs and rotors and to remove paper gaskets from transmissions. Honda's are a pain in the behind to get the gasket off of.  

Thanks all for the for the warm welcome, yes BillyBones thats what i meant by scuff cookie,  my day job is restoring classic cars so that carries over into alot of my work at home. I knew that hammer wasnt for body work,  would love to see some peoples faces if they seen me using this as a body hammer haha

There can be some cross over; I once had my daughter help straighten my pickup's rear bumper using my screw press.  She had backed into something she shouldn't have.   I didn't get mad or yell; just had her help fix what she had done----during a Christmas break in chilly weather!  Crawling under a truck fighting the bolts and figuring out how to block things so the screwpress would straighten out the bends was much more effective a lesson than pitching a fit!  She still won't let me give her 4 sons hammers as presents...

Been workin on cars my whole life. My dad drag raced back in the 70's so i spent a lot of time in the garage. My first car we got when i was 13 ( 1983) was a '70 Nova with a 350/ powerglide in it. We hauled into the garage and started working on it so when i turned 16 it was read. Not sure of HP but it would run 11's in the 1/4. I loved that car. Sold it in 1992, bought it back in '94 and sold in again in 2002. 

Any way this is our current project. 66' Mustang 302/ standard. Havent put it on the strip yet so no clue as to what it runs, but she got some get up and go. We traded the '67 Bel-air for it. 

_storage_emulated_0_Android_data_com_sec.imsservice_files_received_files_20180731_184549171_resized.thumb.jpeg.e57fe176b5298cfe401d5d76a0c0bacf.jpeg

And this is the Bel-air we traded:

20180304_144826.thumb.jpg.fc24366041fece5d0d6f6eb497c0e642.jpg