I Forge Iron

A vise for every chore

caintuckrifle

I thought some of you might enjoy seeing a couple of my vises. On top is a 3 inch unmarked vise in mint condition. I'm not sure who made it, is be curious to see if anyone here knows. On bottom is my 8 inch Columbian vise. The Columbian came from a mining company in Northern Nevada and is currently awaiting clean up and being put back to work. 

20200107_132317.jpg

20200107_132243.jpg

20200107_132325.jpg

Marc1,

That is a big dude. It might work pretty well for cracking black walnuts 2 at a time!

I absolutely love seeing the old industrial iron, and old tools in general. I don't have any use for the big stuff, but I love seeing big toys. (Especially being put back to work)

3 hours ago, 671jungle said:

Where did that come from?

Vice is the spelling for the tool in 49 out of 50 English speaking countries including Canada to my surprise. 

The attempts at finding different origins to each spelling from Latin "Vitium "for Vice and "Vitis" for Vise is suspect at best and probably just a fabrication. 

The spelling development of the English language is interesting as watching grass grow. More of a convention that extends only to those convening .

By the way I also spell Aluminium, Axe and Gauge :)

Fantastic vice, I'm still looking for this kind of 'Big Berta' (like Marc's) for my workplace. I only have the problem that I sometimes also use the vice for welding and grinding work, with the result that the necessary traces of use are left behind. I have been able to restore this so far to weld the jaws with 309 cladding and then to update it. Will also have to look for a 'sacrificial bench vice' in which I will perform this work in the future.