I Forge Iron

First 2020 Sword...Book IV Piece

JPH

Hello:

OK here we go...This is the first sword I finished in 2020...The blade is 1070..and the Hamon.. well,  I  dunno what to call it... Togari Gunome maybe??  This Hamon didn't turn out like I wanted.. I was going for more of a crashing/breaking ocean wave/surf sort of thing but that isn't what happened.. Like I have said before...Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted to..

It is finished with temple lion motif fittings from my art foundry guys in Taiwan..They do a great job..yes they do!! Much better than an old ham handed  reprobate like I could do..... Black samegawa under that black and gold Chevron Tsuka-ito that I adore..  This is another proto for book IV which is coming along splendidly even if I do say so myself.. 

The siya is black lacquer that I dripped/ "flicked" Testors model airplane paint  (metallic gold) on and then sealed with  6 coats of hard, clear lac.. I got the idea from a  tanto siya that one of my friends down here showed me a little while back...turned out not too shabby at all really but there is still room to improve on that...I do know I need to find a better price on that stuff..it is horribly $$$

Happy 2020 ya all..

JPH

(Oh this one goes up this evening on my website for sale..cheap...self serving plug here)

DSC05817.jpg

DSC05819A.jpg

DSC05834A.jpg

DSC05844A.jpg

DSC05846A.jpg

Hello:

Well that particular wood cut wave was what I was after but it didn't quite turn out so "wave like"..but since two folks here have mentioned art piece that I guess I did accomplish this to a certain degree..Still I was hooping for something a bit move wave-ish....Next time may be better for that..

Still have a good deal of writing to do on book IV but I am knocking off the pages pretty good so far.. Presently I am, working on grip/handle materials and making hybrid wood/bone/stag/resin grips from vagarious materials.. If all goes as planned it will be my last book..Four books on one subject is enough if you ask me...

JPH

• 1 month later...

I've come across another interesting tidbit that might make a good name for your katana. It's the name of a storm god who rides the crests of tsunamis.  

Susanoo-No-Mikoto  

I was reading about this particular god the other day and immediately thought of your katana in his hand while riding a tsunami to battle. I don't think you'll actually use the name but I wanted to post it anyway. It was a strong image in my mind.

Pnut

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...