I Forge Iron

Anvil critique?

I am brand new to the craft and am currently building my first forge.

What do y’all think of my anvil? (The sledge head is 10lb HF sledge; I am aware HF isn’t the best option but it’s the best my broke self could do lol).

p.s. yes frosty I have read the READ THIS FIRST post (oops I hope I didn’t sound rude there); sorry if this is in the wrong place-I wasn’t sure whether to put it here or in the beginners place section

85717F6F-420D-41C6-8997-2E541F3EFCA4.jpeg

Alright. I was not sure whether or not to do this because I read somewhere that if you do that you destroy the heat treat on the sledge. Also I know this is a little bit off topic but it goes along with the new forge. I am going to be using a JABOD forge with coal (anthracite now, though I plan to use bituminous once I can get my hands on some- I currently can not afford a membership to my local ABANA chapter). I am trying to save as much money as I can, and I was wondering what would work well as an electric blower. The current ideas I am debating on are an air mattress inflator and a hairdryer. What advice would y'all have on those two options, or other suggestions? Again thanks very much. I know y’all answer a lot of questions about blowers So sorry if I’m annoying you with this question, but I wasn’t able to find anything super specific on air mattress pumps.

Hey Nathan. no need to worry about ruining the HT on your sledge- you're just grinding or filing. If you're grinding, use a flap disc and kiss the sharp edges and feather them in. As far an your air supply, I'm using a recycled bathroom vent fan going into a dump valve made from a 4"pvc 'y'. One branch of the 'y' goes to my forge, the other branch goes to a sliding blast gate. I control airflow by closing the gate down (so more air goes to the forge) or opening it up (so more air goes out and away). The fan was free, I had the electricals and pipe fittings laying around. Works well for me.

Steve

I use an old hairdryer i found in the attic, mostly cause it was free. It does have way to much air even on low so what i did was took my angle grinder with a cut off and cut a slot into the piping it is connected to, then using the top of a soup can i inserted it into the slot as an air dam. Works purty danged good. 

Using the anthracite it will need a constant airflow and more air than bituminous coal. Both however like a bottom blast. That has been covered in many a thread so do a little research. 

I am by trade a mechanic and scrap prices around here are way down so we are tripping over scrap in my shop (of course it is all the stuff i myself cannot use). Get down to your local mechanic and ask if you can rummage through their scrap pile. You should be able to find some exhaust pipe for your tuyere and maybe even some small pieces to forge into things.  dozen doughnuts will get you in that pile a little easier too. Also let them know why you want the stuff. If you want coil spring i would be much less likely to give it to you to put it on a car than if you are going to cut it up and make knives out of it.  Then after you make a few things take them a gift, we love beer so bottle openers would be good. Coat hooks for the tool box are also good. Just let them know they are made from the scrap you got or maybe a wrench that was broken, job related is appreciated. Also with the exhaust pipe, if it is connected to a catalytic converter ask one of the techs to cut it off for you, i have seen cats that are worth upwards of $1000, yes you read that right $1000. They may not like you taking that. 

Anyway welcome to the club. Stay safe and have fun. 

Billybones you said that a bottom blast forge works well for coal, but would a side blast forge work also? I’m just asking because I somewhat doubt my technical ability to make a properly working bottom blast forge. Another option I could do for sure would be the firepot in a shape of a v with a pipe running along the bottom perforated with holes. Would that work also? I know that it wouldn’t be super complicated to build  but I still have a lot to learn in that Field and wouldn’t trust myself. with the little money I have left I can’t afford to buy new materials and rebuild.

I find the beauty of the JABOD being that all the material is reusable. 

I used the perforated tube idea when i built my first forge, it worked but i burnt through fuel like there is no tomorrow.  You may also melt the pipe. I have melted a couple side blast tuyeres being to close in.

I may add i am by no means an expert on these things. I am a mechanic and this is a hobby for me. IDF&C just answered your question with much, much more experience than I. I can show you what works for me after trial and error, but i will never say "this is how its done". 

I may also add, if you can build a side blast, you can build a bottom blast. It really is not that big of a leap. 

If you have two pieces of auto exhaust pipe and can make a T to attach them together, you got a bottom blast configuration.  Air into the branch, ash goes into the down pipe. 

image.png

Grate is just a couple of pieces of 1/4 inch rod or nails to hold it into the forge pot.

You may want to review BP0133 The 55 Forge.

The forge can be configured in many different was with bricks, round, square, oval, rectangular, shallow, deep, large, small, and whatever is needed for the job at hand.  There is no one perfect shape, just what gets the job done easiest.

No one ever said you could only have one forge.  Build several and compare them with fire in two or more at the same time.  

Unfortunately my parents did say I could only have one forge lol. So I will have to start with my forge and then evolve it as I see fit based on my needs. As others have said, that’s why I like the idea of the JABOD forge, as it can be redug to suit different purposes. Thank you also for the tips on making a bottom-blast forge. I guess it’s not as complicated as I thought 

Most ABANA Affiliates I know will allow folks to attend some meetings before requiring a membership; especially for young folks.  If you are under 18 than having a parent attend a meeting with you is suggested. (Doesn't matter which one!)  You will truly learn a heck of a lot more in person than from staring at a glowing screen!

Also check out ILL at your local public library; you should be able to turn up a copy of "The Complete Modern Blacksmith" Alexander Weygers  

Thanks, I’ll make sure to remember that. I was mainly referring to that being the best source of bituminous for my area, and they only sell to members. The AVANA chapter here in Oklahoma from what I can tell doesn’t have a dedicated  meeting place and sometimes does not have meetings because they don’t have a person who volunteered to host. I was wondering if I was just misunderstanding the website. Does anyone here from Oklahoma have any insight into that?

Nathan, Saltforkcraftsmen do not have a dedicated meeting location. There are four meetings scheduled each month one for each of four quarters of the state. If you really want to you can pretty much go to at least one meeting a month, some months four! There’s a bunch of good people there in the club. A person can learn a lot with these guys! There are club stores of coal at different locations around the state just ask a member.

hope this helps! Bill D. (Near Lawton Oklahoma)

Bill, Thanks for answering my question on Saltforkcraftsmen. If it's not too much hassle i was wondering what most meetings are like so i know what to prepare for. Also, is it something where as other have said, I can attend a few meetings before I'm able to afford a membership. Lastly, is there an age requirement for meetings, memberships, or classes?

Update: to all y'all who helped me with my forge, in case you haven't seen, I have now built my forge. It is in this post for anyone wondering. I ultimately did decide on a side blast forge.

Nathan, there are, as far as I know, no age requirement. The meetings are rather informal meetings, usually some people forging on their projects or demonstrating techniques. Speak up and ask questions. Be respectful and you will get all the help you can handle! The newsletter is well worth the membership cost. That said, newsletters (except for newest one) are available free on the website. There are a lot of members in the Tulsa area. Yes you can attend meetings without formally being a member 

Hope this helps, Bill D

Thanks! Hopefully I will see you at one of the upcoming meetings (if I can convince my parents to drive me there lol)

I was also wondering how the trade item works (if I can go without bringing one and just look at other smith's work, what level of quality would be expected, etc). And can I bring other random work and ask people there to critique it for me?

The trade item is strictly voluntary! You can look at all the work on display.  You can bring anything (within reason) you wish to show to others. The host of the meeting chooses what the trade item is supposed to be. Everyone who wants to brings their version of the item and all the participants draw names to swap items.

bd