I Forge Iron

My new forge

Nathan Kraft

Just built my first forge. What do y’all think? The cardboard is just a mock up- I plan to use a piece of a soup can lid as my airgate. I am planning to use a hair dryer not my bellows. Any suggestions for how to support it on the end of or otherwise attach it to the tuyere? Especially thanks to Glenn, IDF&C, and BillyBones for your help and suggestions on my forge. I also wanted to say for all of y’all complaining about the price of starting the total price of this was $10, though I know others have done it cheaper.  Any comments or suggestions are welcome. 

22D62EF7-68C8-4EFC-A608-9C1CE8798697.jpeg

How do you differentiate the side from the front? That is not a blacksmithing power tool, I just built the forge in my dads woodworking shop. This is not its final place- I’m getting kicked outside lol. Thanks for the idea, I didn’t even think about the idea of larger stock later on lol.

How you arrange it depends a lot on what type of work you plan to do with it; but if you look at the pictures of the hot spot for a side blown forge you will notice a sort of "hard back" that the tuyere goes through meaning that you need to be able to move your workpiece from side to side as you look at the end of the tuyere.  That way you can heat more than just the end 4-6 inches of a piece. So cut an access slot on the "ends" and trough the forge bed to allow it's use and Bob's your uncle!

I hope you get a lot of time using it over the Holidays!

For the mounting the hair drier, you could mount it on the side of the box. I would put a “T” right after the hair drier, with the stem of the “T” connected to a flexible tube up to your tuyere pipe. Then you could use straight through side as a waist gate. If you hard mount/plumb to your tuyere pipe, it will be a pain to adjust as the end of the pipe burns up. The tuyere pipe will most likely be consumable. 
However you do it, make sure you air adjustment is easy to use and reach. That way you can get in the habit of adjusting the air between heats. That will save you a lot of fuel.

Keep the pictures coming!

David

Yeah, I finally figured out how to lower the resolution on my uploads, and it looks like I overdid it. I wrote that if your hair drier has a cool air button, wire, wire tie, or tape it in. You don’t the hot air and the hot air may melt cheap corrugated tube, not to mention drive up electricity bills. The other note was to use a PVC T or better a long sanitary T, but conduit body shown above by Chris Williams is fantastic! That has a easy gate method built in!

David

I find internet searches useless for this type for thing. I would normally walk through the hardware store and just get what would fit close enough and was cheap. (I also have a good hardware store only two blocks away.) I believe the tube I used may have been a discharge hose. You could also try shop vac hoses, but the are probably heavy, generally meaning more expensive.

Look for some 3 inch flexible and expandable metal clothes dryer vent that can be found at the big box stores etc.  Crimp or crush one end to the air pipe on the forge and hold in place with a hose clamp.  If you need a larger radiator clamp, put two clamps together.

Expand the length to what you need to go to the blower.  DO NOT connect it to the blower but separate the blower from the air pipe and aim the air toward the end of the pipe.  Aim more directly for more air, less directly for less air.