I Forge Iron

Making an anvil

2 hours ago, FlatLiner said:

check out Wasach Forge

I have met them at a renaissance fair. they seem like a fun crowd.

18 hours ago, Kyle Haidet said:

I live close to Salt Lake City, Utah.

I am in Holladay and have some fork tine pieces I would be willing to gift you. They would make excellent anvils stood on end. On end the face is 2" x 6". 

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 12/24/2019 at 11:52 AM, 671jungle said:

I am in Holladay and have some fork tine pieces I would be willing to gift you.

Well, I just flew into Vegas about an hour or so ago but will be driving back sometime between Jan 2nd and Jan 6th. If I could head over your way and get them that would be awesome. How many do you have? If you have more than one piece then I think flat liner could use some:)

You are in my neck of the woods now.  I work in Henderson, but live outside of the valley.

Not much for smithing gear here, and one guy seems to snap it up, and then tries to flip for high dollar. Most of his anvils have been listed for well over a year.  I got my stuff back when it was reasonably priced, so I am in no hurt for gear. The only thing I would like to find would be a small anvil for a small vintage portable forge I have. I have been told it is a farrier's forge.  I have a 95# HB that has a rough top, but if I can come up with a Fisher in the 50#-100# range I would like that even better.  Just feel bad for those starting out, and getting hosed on price. That is why I recommend an improvised anvil. You can pick up 200# of steel for around free to $50 depending on where you get it.

What type of items are you mainly interested in making and what do you have for steel?

19 hours ago, BIGGUNDOCTOR said:

Just feel bad for those starting out, and getting hosed on price.

What type of items are you mainly interested in making and what do you have for steel?

I’ve lived in Vegas my whole life and just moved to Utah back in maybe August but come to think of it... I’ve never heard or seen of any blacksmiths around here but I’m sure it’s the same thing as me not seeing any scrap yards but I know they’re here haha. All of my anvils right now are improvised except for my small 15-20 pound anvil/vice. I made my own striking anvil and made it out of mild steel specifically so that when my striker miss hits they don’t chip my high carbon stuff and end up really injuring or killing one of us. But steel wise... my only stock is mild steel which kind of sucks but I keep finding scrap that’s sometimes good steel. I’ve studied a lot on making hammers and I really want to start doing that(hence why I made a striking anvil) but I don’t have tool steel large enough for that but I’m thinking maybe a nice Damascus hammer one of these days(figure out some way to keep it rust free). But for what I want to make... hammers, tongs, top tools, and knives are the main ones but I also do make whatever is requested by those who know of what I do. Would be awesome to find some good tool steel honestly. I have some maybe 4x4 or maybe even 5x5 inch squares of good high carbon steels of different sorts all at about half an inch to an inch thick. But I only have about 3 squares. And a little left over 1095 and 15n20 plates for Damascus but that’s it

On 12/26/2019 at 12:07 AM, Kyle Haidet said:

If I could head over your way and get them that would be awesome. How many do you have?

I have two pieces I can part with. It is the two in the photo. I was going to have them welded but that would be more trouble than just standing them on end. The straight piece is probably around 40-50lbs. You and Flatliner can roshanbo for first pick if ya like. Message me your number for contact. I'm off Thursday and Saturday. Available Friday and Sunday afternoon.

On 12/26/2019 at 9:34 AM, BIGGUNDOCTOR said:

You are in my neck of the woods now.

We could all meet up for a Hammer In sometime in the spring! It would be great to learn what Y'all have to share!

IMG-4657.JPG

4 hours ago, 671jungle said:

We could all meet up for a Hammer In sometime in the spring! It would be great to learn what Y'all have to share!

I would love to meet up and do some smithing. I love learning new techniques and info that you guys have... would be a great opportunity for me to learn. Let me know if you ever want to meet up and do some work

Re old style anvil:

First post, first line: "I don’t have enough money to buy myself a nice old style anvil"

Good to hear you are thinking outside of the london pattern box.

My Daughter just moved from around Hill AFB to Okinawa; so I won't be making any SLC trips now...

Kyle just stopped by and picked up a whole fork tine from me. It was chopped up, but definitely usable. 

On 12/18/2019 at 8:41 AM, ThomasPowers said:

Generally what we find is that folks are making terrible assumptions about what they need.

This is true with me when I first started, heck I'm still a baby at this, but now I find myself on the other end of the spectrum on what I can do without. When the gears get goin I have to stop myself and think how they did it before the thing I think "I need" existed. Most times a little ingenuity will take care of it.

29 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

I won't be making any SLC trips now...

Dang, It would be a great honor to meet the Master Curmugeon. Your scrapping stories remind me of my very resourceful mechanic father. Rusted and greased metal is mostly what I can remember from my time with him.

Anemoia: Nostalgia for a time you've never known.

On 1/3/2020 at 12:07 PM, ThomasPowers said:

"Why do we remember with Nostalgia things we thought were unpleasant when we were doing them?"

We gain a certain value from our experiences whether good or bad. Good ones usually give us confidence to proceed and excell. Bad ones usually make us stronger and teach us lessons. But all get downloaded and contribute to our build. :huh: at least thats my take

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, 671jungle said:

Hows it goin Kyle? I'm sure the guys would like an update! With pictures!

Hey yes sorry I’ve been super busy. But it’s going great! The forklift pieces you let me have will be going to the airbase with my uncle so they can machine it for free and then I’ll have a good striking anvil with a hardy and I can’t wait for it. I’ve learned a lot since my last time on here with hammering technique and placement of my workpiece on my anvil which has very noticeably increased production speed by a lottt. I spent half the day yesterday making myself a new and for once... a properly I dilated forge. I tried replicating Alec Steele’s forge and this one was just kind of a quick put together and I’ll have to fix my dimensions a bit but the forge works insanely better than what I had! Before I was only able to do a few small things at a time and forge welding Damascus wasn’t easy but now with the new forge and burner life is way easier. I made myself a hammer eye punch, a drift, 3 tongs(one unsuccessful), a touchmark, a small knife, the start of a hammer, and another hand held punch for tongs all today which to me is great given I was barely able to scrape by making on little knife in a day as of a few days ago. I haven’t been able to get the guy with the anvil to answer but my little guy is doing me well right now. I’ll set a reminder to take pictures and show you guys what I’ve got going on tomorrow. I’ve got a pretty bad case of memory loss so sorry to you guys that have been asking for pictures. I’ve also been requested a difficult looking knife to be made for my friend’s dad’s birthday that is in the picture that’s attached. The handle is going to be brass and everything as seen in the picture but the blade is going to be Damascus. Damascus from where the handle meets the blade rather than that weird design halfway through the blade. Does anyone know how I can get the small and fine dragon designs for the handle? I don’t have fine enough casting sand and I don’t know any machinists yet. But thank you very much to each of you who have helped guide me and give your knowledge and advice to me... it has helped so much

knife.jpg

xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx My idol is alec steele right... um him and his team want to see my set up and my blade that I’m about to make and see my work! I’m incredibly extático and like I need to make this stuff look good. Man am I happy!

I can’t believe this is happening like really out of all the people they want to  look at my stuff? Woohooo!