I Forge Iron

American civil war tongs

dave in pa.

Hi all,

I have a friend who has a restored American Civil War travelling forge.

We are working on collecting/making the tools that need to go with it.

All the reference material that I can find says that it was equipped with 3 tongs, but I have no reference/pics of what type of tongs they would have been.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Dave

I just seen this on a civil war site. All the tools for traveling forges were based on the Mordecai drawings by Capt. Albert Mordecai. I don't know if that will help but I would try googling it and see what you come up with.

Pnut

Anything in the original Specs archived in Washington DC?

One of the member here wrote Civil War Blacksmithing, you might try contacting him. https://www.iforgeiron.com/profile/2340-david-einhorn/

Does he have the anvil that fits inside the stand?  I sold DE an original anvil and stand it fits into that I found in an antique store down here.

I also commend to your attention:

Though sadly the links mentioned in it are broken.

Antique ordinance publishers has a book called field artillery traveling forge no. 61. Also the ordinance manual of 1863 has info on it. The browser is acting foolish so research time is over for me. I have to access iforge from an email. I need a new phone.

Pnut

Edited by pnut

I'm too poor for an iPhone.  I have a weird brand of phone that's Chinese. I think the company is on a list of tech companies that the government can't use due to security concerns. It's old and I'm surprised it works at all. The browser shuts down about half the time if I try to do a search, and I have to access iforge through an email notification or the browser stops after a few minutes, I have to use speakerphone or the person I call can't hear me. It's on its last legs, but  I think my insurance plan may offer a free cell phone. I'm going to check in to it. This one is probably six or seven years old but I'm not sure. I just looked at the battery and it's date of manufacture is marked as 2007 so it might even be older than I think. 

Pnut

Mr. Pnut, sir,

The battery is dated 2007, that makes it twelve years. (DUH).

So maybe using a new battery might help 'reception'.

I know this observation is not brilliant but it is a cheap measure to give that a try.

And the battery can be used elsewhere if the ploy does not work.

Just some stray thoughts.

SLAG.

I'm going to have to do something soon. 

The battery seems to be functioning fine. It holds a charge no memory issues with the battery not charging all the way. I don't think this phone is worth a new battery.  When it finally gives up the ghost if it's not already been replaced I'll have to get another one or suffer iforge separation anxiety.

Pnut

I was told my flip phone with a physical keyboard would stop working when we went to G5.  I haven't found a newer one I can tolerate.  Hard to find a physical keyboard these days. I don't need apps, browser, games, etc. I only use  phone, text and camera. I'm like Frosty  Computers are for computers!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...