I Forge Iron

Anvil suggestions

I purchased an anvil last night from a local knife maker. I thought it was a no name anvil. I was getting some of the crud off and found some numbers. On the left front foot a Z is found. On the front right foot the numbers A 110.80 are found. 173#. I looked on the bottom of the forging and it appears to have an  Hourglass recess. Could this be a Hay Budden? Also I want to clean/ degrease and remove the paint. Do you suggest i round the chips on the shoulders or just leave it be. Any info is appreciated. Thanks. Nate

20190829_161900.jpg

20190829_161853.jpg

20190829_161849.jpg

20190829_161842.jpg

20190829_161835.jpg

20190829_155440.jpg

Congratulations, Nate...........it looks to be a nice one.  Sure, go ahead and clean it up nice and purdy.  Just use a wire cup.............no grinding.  Don't even think about messing with the chips..................it doesn't have any that warrant it.  Oh, and don't tell me what you paid for it.  I'm gettin' really tired of people here on the forum telling how they've practically "stolen" anvils. :angry:  By chance have you checked the rebound or ring?

Dogblazer thank you. 

Chris- I appreciate it. I have not checked rebound with a ball bearing as i do not have one. I did a quick test with a small hammer and it seemed to do well but was concerned hitting the face cold may damage it. It rings loud, slighlty less behind the hardy/hardie. I feel the deal was fair/ in favor of myself. I was minutes away from picking up a 300 pound trenton before the gentleman contacted me. 

See, there ya went and did it!  Had to tell me you "stole" it, didn't ya?!?!?! :lol:  Had to rub my nose in your success!  Geesh, I just don't get why people have to keep teasing me with their cool new anvils...........when I can't find anything around me. :angry:;)  Oh well, I have to admit I'm happy for ya.  I'd love to find one just like it for that price.  Hammer away with my blessings.  (durn ya!) ;)

1 hour ago, Chris The Curious said:

Had to rub my nose in your success! 

You have such an invitingly rubbable nose :wub: Chris!

WOW, I just said rubbable out loud! Say that 3 times fast and you'll want to say vrooom!

Frosty The Lucky.

32 minutes ago, Frosty said:

You have such an invitingly rubbable nose :wub: Chris!

I know..................I just can't help it, Frosty.  Walkin' around with this paper money in my wallet just waiting for a deal like Nate found.  My lucky rabbits foot wasn't real lucky for the rabbit..............guess it's not gonna be lucky for me either. :lol:

A rabbit's foot is only lucky if YOU ate the rabbit. I know telling you to be patient is like telling Wile E. Coyote to spend his anvil money at KFC. instead. Of course your running in frantic circles looking for stuff really enhances your endearing rubbabllity. 

I really wish I could be more help but about all I can think to do is provide stress relief by keeping you laughing. :)

One will come, hand in there. Maybe drive a little closer to town now and then? 

Frosty The Lucky.

Don't retire the rosebud Nate just use it for what it's good for. It's hard to beat a rosebud for making even twists on long stock and controlling bends.

You're as pokable as the Pillsbury Dough Boy, Chris.

I'm reminded of one of the guys I used to work with, Mike was NOT known for his patience either. Then one day his daughter stops by with the sitter to pick him up or something and after talking a couple minutes she shrieks. "Oh DADDY you'd go broke as a doctor you don't have any patience not even ONE!"

It brought the whole break room to a silent halt then the laughter broke out. We called him Doctor Not, Mike for a while after that.

Frosty The Lucky.

Yup, that's me in a nutshell.  Oh well, at least I admit my shortcomings.  But I'll dang sure be crowin' like a Banty Rooster if I come on a deal like Nate's.  You'll be able to step out on your porch in Meadow Lakes and hear me all the way from Oklahoma. :lol:

Not fair, I tell ya, just not fair....................t'ain't even neighborly! :D 

See, the way I look at it, I've got it better than you.  I only have one anvil to move out of the way and it only weighs 50#!  ;):P

Chris

It may be an arm and hammer. Their is a distinctive 1.8 where some of the weights were located under the logo. I am wanting to get the parts to make a burner/forge. Do you still all recommend Fosty's T burner for a noob? I plan on making an oval-ish small forge, perlite/waterglass/aluminum oxide refractory.... unless you all recommend the ceramic fiber.