I Forge Iron

Small Bick

I'm making some little cone shaped flowers so I needed something to form them on. I made a sort of bick out of a piece of 1" steel rod turned down to the size cone I needed. I drilled a 5/8" hole in a piece of 1"x1" square stock and turned the same size pin on the other end of the cone. I made the pin a little short and welded it in. I also put some angle iron on the bottom to give it more stability.

LqMhepq.jpg

2NPm1BO.jpg

It still flops around a little so I may shim the hardie shank. Maybe I can put some weld beads on and grind to a tight fit.

It was a fairly quick job, and I only caught on fire once while doing some grinding. A little singed hair but no burn. I might invest in an apron.

Uw0VCIz.jpg

I wear jeans 99 percent of the time, but it's still a drag when holes get burned in 'em. I like the new apron, although it's still a bit stiff. 

Btw, the bick didn't work out as well as I hoped. I find it easier to form the cones on the anvil. 

I finally finished the project this bick was made for. The flowers were made from 1/8" sheet metal, which was necessary to be able to have enough material to draw out the curl.

I did add some shims to the square bar on the bick which fits into the hardie hole. That made it a lot more solid. I'm sure I'll use it for something else in the future

179dS4F.jpg

I use angle iron and square tubing shims as I have a variety of hardy hole sizes on my anvils. I find that if you cut them on the corners and fold the tabs out they stay in place nicely and for the sq tubing ones you get the pounding on the shim and not the anvils face.. (I have one nested sq tubing set to take my 1.5" hardy holes down to 1" the more common size to find tooling shanks.)

Actually it probably more depends on how many hardy tools you acquire over time and of what size shanks thay have.  I've seen a lot of smaller shanks with strap stock arc welded on to beef them up generally from the 3/4" to the 1".

Some anvil brands tend towards smaller hardy holes, others larger. Currently I have several  1", 1 1.25" and 3 1.5" hardy holes, 2 of which are in the same anvil...and even the 1"r's show a bit of "manufacturing variability". So a hardy tool that is snug in one may be loose in another.

20 hours ago, Ted Ewert said:

Thanks all, glad you like it.:)

pnut, it's welded at the base. Those stems provide support, although not as much as I'd like. It's probably good for 20 lbs.

If you made the stems from roll up door spring they'd be decent support.

Frosty The Lucky.

It was a thought, I like stronger than necessary within reason. A couple overhead door springs came to me a few years ago and it's handy stuff. You have to unwind one to believe how much wire is in just one half. 

Frosty The Lucky.