I Forge Iron

Gettin' Mighty Close!

Chris C

(like anyone really cares!):lol:

I'm really gettin' excited about this forge build.  Been gathering pieces and parts for some time now.  Got all my refractories in last week.  But still waiting on my K26 bricks and the forge housing.  Got my Harbor Freight cart bought and assembled today and set the blower on the lower shelf to start looking at how to anchor it and how many other pieces of pipe I'm going to need.  I've got "most" of the pipe pieces in-house, but I need to decide how high off the floor the opening of my forge needs to be so I can get the exact measurements for the "rack" that will support my forge above the cart and remaining pipe I need to purchase. Is there a general consensus as to how high off the floor the floor of the forge should be to be most efficient?   Got all of my fuel source line made up with the regulator, 1/4 turn shut-off and needle valve.  Still need to weld up the plenum and cast  the ribbon burner nozzle.  Getting it working correctly is my big concern at the moment. So close..............yet so far.  Could be finished in two weeks or two months.................who knows.  I guess everyone who has ever built a forge (at least their first one) has felt the same as I do right now.:wacko:

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Chris The Curious said:

I guess everyone who has ever built a forge (at least their first one) has felt the same as I do right now.:wacko:

Uh no, I don't think so Chris. I'm pretty sure you're the only person who's ever been excited about putting a forge together. :rolleyes:

Those of us following you're progress care enough to stalk others for the thrill. 

Frosty The Lucky.

On 6/18/2019 at 12:45 PM, Chris The Curious said:

Is there a general consensus as to how high off the floor the floor of the forge should be to be most efficient?

I like my forge high, near eye level so I'm not bending down all the time looking in it.   I actually have a high stool that I sit on while the metal is heating which puts me at eye level for the forge.  A high forge saves on the back, but you have to have a wider stable base to keep it from falling over because it can be top heavy.  

Others may feel differently.

Looking forward to seeing pics of it in action!

DanR

We like ours at about chest high. That way you are not tempted to stare into it which is not good for the eyes, unless using IR glasses which change the color of the work. Standing back several steps the chamber is visible at a quick glance. I find it easier to retrieve the small stock at that height.

That was my thought also.  My forge will be sitting on a 4-legged raised platform above the top shelf of a Harbor Freight rolling cart.  I would be a whole lot easier to whack the four legs of the platform than to try and weld onto them...................since I've no welder.  From the responses, it sounds as if my "thought" was sound.  But we'll see.

My gas forge sits on the frame of a barbecue grill with wheels. I can move it, but it sits low. I find myself stooping down to be able to see what's going on and it makes me think of Frosty warning about not staring into the forge because it can cause damage to your eyes. I'm going to figure something out to raise mine

Well, my back is gettin' old...................not me, mind you, my back.  It's 74 years old as of 4:15 am today, and when I spend a lot of time bending over it reminds me of every one of those years.  I'm gonna start out high and do my best not to stare into the white hot "oblivion", as per Frosty..................though I've always loved to stare into a hot fire.

Mr. C. C.,  and Mrs. C.G. Lady,

Happy birthday C. C..

C.G.L. there is need to stare into the forge fire. Pull the tong and work out of the fire and then check out the work piece.

Then quickly replace it in the forge.

Regards,

SLAG.

SLAG: when I first started, I was very impatient and had a hard time letting the piece get up to heat and I took it out all the time. So I started thinking, just let it soak and leave it alone. So until you pointed out what I could do, it never occurred to me to just take it out and look for a second. Thank you and my eyes thank you too. 

Happy birthday Mr. Curious. Hope you have many more. I'm 46 myself and out of commission at the moment because I hurt something in my back a couple of days ago. So understand the back thing

Thanks for the "Happys"  Slag and Goat Lady.  Gittin' old ain't fer sissies....................and ain't a whole lot of fun if'n ya don't have a lot of money to enjoy playing with. 

Just finished installing the fan on the cart that will hold my forge.  Need to wire up a switch on the cart that will be convenient and not make me bend over to turn on the fan. :lol: Gittin' closer by the day.  Going to pick up my soft K26 bricks tomorrow.  All I need is the forge body so I can decide on the lengths of 2" black pipe and PVC pipe to purchase, weld up my plenum and cast my ribbon burner and I'm ready to get on with this project.  My attention span is pretty limited and I want to get this project completed before I lose interest and dive into some other hobby! :o

HAPPY B'DAY Chris!

I've found breast pocket is right at too low and eye level is pretty good. Depends on what you're doing as to how high in the forge you need to see. You'll know as soon as you light it if it's too high.

I prefer the forge floor between chin and eye lever. That's me though. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Glad to hear you'll be able to spend more time with your wife now, Thomas.  Makes for a happier life.

"Between chin and eye level"..................don't know if I'm going to be able to get it quite that high with the parts I have, but I know it's not going to be too low, that's for sure.

Gettin' older has it's perks!  You really look forward to having the next Birthday..............more and more each year.  The alternative means my little wife is gonna be ticked with me because I didn't get rid of all my "stuff" before kickin' the bucket!!!  She brings up the subject frequently.  :o:lol::lol::rolleyes:

Your chin and eye Chris, NOT mine. :rolleyes: So long as you can see the floor most of the way to the back wall without having to bend over is close enough to work with.

Making another birthday is a good thing, don't need a card, present or . . . just making another one is good enough. :wub:

Frosty The Lucky.