I Forge Iron

First anvil advice

Although I understand the advice that I can make a usable anvil from scrap metal, there aren’t a lot of scrap yards around me in Northern Virginia. I checked on the usual places and wonder if y’all might comment on a couple of my options. 

a Peter Wright 160:

E75E23F4-5848-4F76-8A03-D0A127F9C5E7.thumb.jpeg.50527e60b1fad828be0072fbc73c9a2e.jpeg

32FAE259-A10F-4E19-A1D5-0D95C33350E1.thumb.jpeg.55ae1af0de8fc0cd8a768a4190f131b7.jpeg

a Fisher Norris 100:

EE39597E-276D-462F-9B73-E72CFAAC8EE4.thumb.jpeg.3e172f13ce213e0e43577fb86a6b1149.jpeg

F684DA83-1CE5-4620-B69D-13918A7D5672.thumb.jpeg.9e748a60441494f5d4de7941dca4bf95.jpeg

Any thoughts on which would be better and how much might be reasonable?

As an add-on to my question above, if my primary interest is knifemaking, would I be better off with a worn (some sway) ~150 lb used anvil or a new 85 lb. from Holland Anvil? I get the sense that bladesmithing may not require as much mass in an anvil but I can imagine larger is better as a general matter. I will make a massive, stable mount for either. It strikes me that a flat surface could be useful from time to time and that I would one day appreciate it if I have one. 

Good question. How much experience do you have at the anvil will make a difference as will how large the blades and stock you plan on using will be. None of us can read the future though. <Sigh> 

Right now as we type there are world class bladesmiths making good livings forging swords on stake anvils a few inches across and sitting on the ground. Experience and skill makes up for anvil size. That puts a + on the 85lb. new anvil's side of the list.

However, if you'd like to maybe do some architectural or decorative projects as well, they might be easier on a larger face and some marks will just be texture. so that's  + on the old anvil side.

Were I you I'd buy the 85lb. Holland, they're a known quantity and unmarked. You get to put the dings in it if you can. ;)

Frosty The Lucky.

I'm not a knifemaker, so I may be wrong about this, but do you really need the horn or heel of an anvil when forging knives? If not, I would say your best option might just be to go to some scrapyards and find a big chunk of steel with at least one relatively flat face for cheap. I'm of the opinion that hardened anvil faces are a bit overrated for hobby use.

Holland anvil has a warranty, as I recall. For the same price, would you rather buy a brand new car, or meet someone in a parking lot to buy a used car? You can't call up Fisher if the horn falls off. :) Not that it would...

According to Josh Greenwood, a sway in an anvil has many uses. Adding bevels on blades, for example. However, you can do that on a new anvil as well, just tilt the blade. The PR looks like it has a lot of sway, it may be harder to resell if you upgrade later on. I personally would not buy it for bladesmithing, because of the sway. I can find better, for the money,

Bladesmiths do use the horns, depending on the blade style, and tang shape.

I have a Vulcan on my wall of shame that has the horn broken off; happened in the local University's Fine Arts Metals classes.  The instructor gave both pieces to me after I sourced a swedish cast steel anvil as a replacement---for free. I use it to explain why I don't like Vulcans. (Bad casting defects!).

OTOH I love my Fisher and wouldn't trade a pickup for it!

Its certainly not overkill, 140 is a nice size. Just because 85 will do doesn't mean a LITTLE more isn't gooder. 

The watchword here being, "If a little is good more MIGHT be better." In this case it's true within reason. It's not like you're buying a 600lb. monster.

You're going to be a happy customer. Betcha!

Frosty The Lucky.

• 2 weeks later...

My beautiful anvil is here. Now I need to figure out how to mount it! I don’t seem to have a section of tree that is the ~18” length I need. May have to bundle some large lumber; or make a reinforced-concrete stand. I think the former, at least until I know exactly what height I want. 

5C236138-BAAF-47FB-8FD3-38CA0C5CA896.thumb.jpeg.47a3ce5b33616d702ef72be5f1740c5e.jpeg

Since I don’t yet know the height I want the anvil, I made a box to fill with stone dust. It was a quick way to try my new anvil.

I just fired up my forge for the first real time and tried to bash some metal. Pretty fun. Here is the result; I started a pair of tongs. They are rough but I think I will be able to make them function. Happy first project. 

952DB43D-C30E-41FF-AE53-7FD498F0163E.thumb.jpeg.5a6b914a26bd5e974e08317ed3644fa8.jpeg

• 1 year later...