I Forge Iron

what have you gained from blacksmithing

Local sherrif came by one day just as i was putting my boat in. He said i got some questions for ya. I said well i am kind of busy so get in and lets talk. We rowed out to the middle of the lake and he asked about fishing. I said i been doing good. He said any thing illegal? I lit a stick of dynamite and handed it to him. I said you gonna talk or you gonna fish? 

Yeah, ok old joke from i think it was Andy Griffith originally, got a love Ange, but we did however do the same thing with artillery simulators when i was in the Army. 

Frosty, Anvil, thank you. I am one of those vets and it means a lot.

On 4/1/2019 at 11:51 AM, Frosty said:

I just want to be clear, the rest of your post sounds like you're donating your time and shop. Either way is good, our Vets need the help

yup, donating shop and time to vets. I'm a disabled viet nam era vet myself, and familiar with the "PRO's and pawns, um, er, cons, oops,,, "problems" within the va system, so I want nothing to do with the system itself. I've actually done this for vets forever, along with any walkins looking for a little help. I do occasional paid classes, like many of us as well. But teaching has never been my main work.

lol, it won't be my full time focus, but I hope to pull together a group of basically disabled vets and give them a place to be in our smithing environment and no stress, other than what lies between hammer and anvil.

and if even one gets the bug, and pursues our craft as a full time Smith, I'll be a happy camper.

helps in my metalwork class at school as I can bend a piece of metal, rather than filing for hours, I do half the filing and smash the iron the rest of the way, it also helped my whole class with heat treating, and welding

First and foremost, a better understanding of material science and what is happening on a molecular level as we mold and shape steel and other metals.  I have gained a finite understanding that, if I forge well and work hard there is a good chance that some of the things I make will outlast my lifetime, possibly by many generations - In this way we become Immortal.  I have gained a better understanding of self and what I think I should be doing with my life.  I have gained a better understanding that my father will never, ever, quite get what I am doing and why I want to make a living off of it; The hard work he understands.   I have gained the knowledge that, like martial arts, Smithing is a Discipline.  One must focus both mind and body to constantly strive for perfection and beauty.    I have managed, beyond my own knowledge, to gain lots of forgeable steel and many new/new to me tools!

Oh, I also gained a Dog as a shop buddy, he stays on the lawn, don’t want him getting tinnitus as well.   

2 minutes ago, Bear Creek Iron Works said:

Oh, I also gained a Dog as a shop buddy, he stays on the lawn, don’t want him getting tinnitus as well.   

They don't like wearing hearing protection. They're also tough to fit with hearing aids so it's good he stays outside of your shop. ;-) 

Pnut (Mike)

As one of those beers that had been spoken of on this thread I get a lot of healthy therapy from all of my crafts. However smithing had been a huge blessing in the way it engages my brain. I love what the one gentleman said about it being "chess with a hammer"!

On a side note I work with veterans through a couple of amazing programs and would love to help anyone on this site, or any of your friends. I don't want to advertise on this thread, so if anyone is curious send me a pm.