I Forge Iron

1st Knife Build!!!

NCHammer

Hey everybody,

I just finished making my first knife. I had an awesome time and learned a lot along the way and am looking forward to my next build. I’d love to hear what you guys think, what you like or don’t like about it. And especially how you think I can improve it. It’s 1095 steel with a brass pin and teakwood handle. 

PS. This is my first attempt at making a knife. It was a lot of fun and learned a lot. Still have to bring the edge up to a fully sharpened but I’m awaiting a sharpening stone. I used a small 1x30 inch belt grinder and is severely under powered and I could only source 80 grit belts, so it was chore to get any significant scratches out. I would love a suggestion for a more professional belt grinder, that would be suitable for my needs. Which will probably be smaller knifes but possible a sword in the future?

Thanks in advance.

26F40014-C914-4FA2-8255-4B3BB0D72ABB.jpeg

50130608-909B-43F8-AE26-B4776ECC7FBD.jpeg

B73129B1-5BAF-4E38-806A-6230ACDA53C8.jpeg

292B4CC2-3827-4A56-963A-D7F28A76CDCD.jpeg

42A2423D-992A-4720-BC31-22D2D3921EA1.jpeg

F78A8FDF-1B13-4535-9275-42CD8EB94403.jpeg

There are a couple of 4" x 36" belt grinders out there that have 3/4 - 1 horse power  for under $200. They will change your life. I guess I'm not supposed to use brand names here, but look for direct drive rather than belt drive, and don't even bother with the $65 model from the cheapest of all tool stores.

I quenched in vegetable oil at nonmagnetic and then put it in the oven at 400 for two cycles about 3 hours each. Thanks for the suggestion on the grinders I'll look into some of the 4x36 grinders. I've been trying to look at some 2x48 grinders but most are fairly expensive. 

Be careful the platen extends farther than the motor, if not you'll be very limited how long a blade you'll be able to grind without it hitting the motor. Go ahead, ask me how I know. :o

Frosty The Lucky.

I done several 8" chef's knives and a 10" filet knife with mine. But it's good to hear about someone else's learning experiences now and then.

Oh yeah, the blade in my profile pic. It's a five inch boner made from leaf spring and stabilized spalted alder. The meat manager at our local grocery has the mate to it. He also has a cold room and butcher shop built into his garage. Apparently the boner I made him went through 2 pigs and half a steer before he had to touch up the edge, so I got the HT right through no fault of my own.

• 3 weeks later...

Nchammer,

Great looking knife for your first!

Personally, I think the proportions would look a tad better with a smaller choil and maybe a little bit bigger of a guard. Just me though...

One more thing... I’m not sure why 1095 is recommended so often as a great steel for beginners, because a soak time in hardening is recommended. 1084 is easier for beginners who don’t have a controlled heat treating oven at their disposal.

Overall, a very nice job.

11 minutes ago, C-1ToolSteel said:

I’m not sure why 1095 is recommended so often as a great steel for beginners

You make a good point, but with a lot of beginners I suspect 1095 is more like 1084 by time they get to heat treating.  All those extra heats will gradually decrease the carbon content of the steel.

Nice job on the knife.

For a reasonably low cost alternative for a belt grinder, I went with a Bucktool 4x36 and added a Jiffy conversion to it. This changes it to a 2x48 with flat platten and 2 contact wheel sizes. Gives me a lot more versatility and much bigger selection of belts available.

The one thing I did notice is that the platten of the 4x36 will twist a little causing your tracking to go all funny. I solved this with some angle iron and a support post of my shop.

DSC_0810.thumb.JPG.ad769eb61bb2894915f37fa1900c9c56.JPG

• 2 weeks later...