I Forge Iron

Anvil Identification

1 minute ago, ausfire said:

It's an ACME! Used primarily for dropping on roadrunners!

Not REALLY! They're actually used by WilE coyote to drop on himself. :rolleyes: WilE Coyote never gets even close to getting the Roadrunner! Sheesh, you'd think you live on the other side of the planet or something Aus!

Welcome aboard Thereandone, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many of the gang live within visiting distance.

All kidding aside your anvil is an Acme. Someone with a copy of Anvils in America can tell you who it was probably made for, (Sears I THINK), when and other stuff.

How'd it work for you? 

Frosty The Lucky.

1 hour ago, Frosty said:

Not REALLY! They're actually used by WilE coyote to drop on himself. :rolleyes: WilE Coyote never gets even close to getting the Roadrunner! Sheesh, you'd think you live on the other side of the planet or something Aus!

Welcome aboard Thereandone, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many of the gang live within visiting distance.

All kidding aside your anvil is an Acme. Someone with a copy of Anvils in America can tell you who it was probably made for, (Sears I THINK), when and other stuff.

How'd it work for you? 

Frosty The Lucky.

Works great.Thank you sir!

1 minute ago, therandone said:

Works great.Thank you sir!

SIR!? :o That'll teach me for joshing with you! 

We've met haven't we? Going to make the March 30th. meeting at Pat's?

Tentatively we'll do a twist tong demo & workshop to get folks going more quickly.

Frosty The Lucky.

A large number of American anvils have waist welds; not very specific...

Can we have a photo of the bottom?  That should clearly differentiate between Trenton and Hay Budden!

Many large retailers would contract out orders for things like anvils and have them stamped with their mark---ACME is a Sears Roebuck brand and it's known that SR used several different suppliers over the years.

Most likely the serial number and the weight on the front of the foot under the horn.  What does it weigh?

Wow, you guys rock! It weighs 84.5 lbs. Tpowers: I think you might be onto something with your bottom inquiry. So, the bottom surface is fairly flat with a slight depression that measures app.  0.375” deep in the center. I’ll snap a photo later and post it. In the mean time, the angled photos above actually show the entire bottom surface, but the shadowing definitely makes it difficult to see. Regardless, thanks all for the help, and I’ll be back in touch!

HB's are known for their "hourglass" indentation where the outer edge of the base extends slightly more than the center---this can vary from very pronounced to almost worn off.  Trenton's in their later years used a "caplet" indentation---quite pronounced; but sometimes A&H anvil will have it too. (IIRC Postman speculated that they would share bases between them if needed.)

I'm on the HB side.