I Forge Iron

Multi-port Forge

MCalvert

The doghouse is where I meet interesting folks, everybody gets an occasional talking to. No big deal you have to TRY to get 86ed from IFI. It takes a little while to learn the house rules is all.

About shipping K-26 IFBs. How about making contact with an IFI member living close to an outlet and having them Flat-rate them to you?

IIRC the 1/2" T fired, no weld IFB forge required (Pic below) 12, K-26 bricks and a few feet of angle iron, some all thread, nuts, washers and misc bits and bobs. The minimum tool list is: tape measure, hack saw, center punch, hand drill, bits and a wrench or two. 

Getting a handle on building gas forges can be involved but it's NOT on the same level as welding exotics. I loved the colors of Ti welds, one of the guys in the class Tig welded figurines. 

Yeah, it's been warmer the couple last decades, it's been warming for the last 12,000 years its called an "Inter glacial warming period". The last 50 years is more of a weather cycle than actual climate change but that doesn't sound so dramatic. Ahh, I won't go into fossil and archeological evidence, I shouldn't have said that. The Iditarod changes are as much politics as snow cover, though it's been pretty the the last few years. The last one was Covid related and nobody blames anybody, I don't think it'll run till next year. 

Weather's always been wild, Alaska is something like 3/5 the size of the rest of the US combined with plains directly between the arctic and the Japanese current, deep oceans and shallow shelves, mountain ranges with ice fields and plenty of room for things to get interesting. 

When you visit bring gear for all seasons, depending on where you go you might want: shorts and sun screen, rain gear, cold weather gear, all on a one day road trip. I recommend a drive from Anchorage to Valdez for such an experience, its a terrific drive. The charter fishing is super and heck a glacier cruise is highly recommended and available about 40 miles south of Anchorage. 

Give me a shout if you're going to make it up, if Deb and I aren't snow birding in the lower 48 we'll hook up. We don't need much excuse to take the RV for a cruise. It SOOOO beats tenting or motels. I'm too old and creaky to sleep on the ground.

The below pic is the no weld forge, there is another door like this on the far side. What this version lacks is provisions for a porch in front of the openings but that's minor and an easy modification.

Frosty The Lucky.

479519701_Noweldforge07.thumb.jpg.604adcd4d07ad111aef0ccb71080674b.jpg

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I did find some of the k26 bricks on Amazon with free shipping . They had the choice of the 2 1/2 or the 1 1/4 thickness 9 x 4 , not sure what I needed yet , still reading lol. I will check on here to see what I can find before I order . I'm still hoping to use the box I have mainly because I may have to put it outside while I put my bass boat in the shop to work on it . Funny how shops & sheads are never big enough , I wonder why that is ? Lol . Using the aluminum box will protect it from the weather much better but we will see the one in the pic would be a lot easier for sure. I don't know to much on the Iditarod but I do watch it when it's on TV but I can understand the covid shutting it down . I worked with a guy that had sled dogs down here , he used a gig " thays what he called it pretty much just a 3 wheeled sled" because we don't get much snow. He actually moved up to Alaska to do it. Don't lnow how he made out never heard from him again. We are taking the Cruise from Seattle up to Alaska . My wife has been trying to get me on a cruise for years . To me a cruise is nothing more than a floating city and I don't like cities " just to many people" . So this Cruise is a much smaller ship than the Caribbean cruises so I gave in on this one ! But the deal was we book a fishing trip which we did for when we got up there . Now we have to rebook if we go this year , I was looking forward to some haddock and salmon fishing. I was definitely going to take rain gear other than that I wasn't sure what to take clothes wise , I guess it will be a little bit of everything by what you said. I imagine it would be chilly near the glaciers . Well gotta get busy so talk to you later Frosty . Take care , Dennis 

Oh and I was wrong on the gentlemen's name it was Lou L on the first time buildeds ,not sure where I got Mel from ? I'm terrible with names always have been but I never forget a face :)

Are you taking a cruise liner or an Alaska Marine Highway ferry? I don't know anything about cruise lines but have taken the ferry to Wa. I've ridden them to a number of ports as part of my job. Can't take a drill rig as airline carry on you  know. There are places on the Inside Passage you can pluck leaves from trees next to the channel. It's an outrageously good trip.

If you stay on the liner or close to the water you won't have to worry about freezing temps but expect wind. 

Not going for Halibut? :o 

Be well Dennis.

Frosty The Lucky.

I watched a travel show yesterday about the Alaska Marine Highway. I don't remember the name of the ferry MV ? Haha.  It was definitely a beautiful trip. I've never really wanted to take a cruise but traveling the inside passage and camping along the way would be great. I found it amusing that people were sleeping in tents on the deck. Looked fun, especially for kids. 

Pnut

Hi pnut , Yea I've looked a many photos of Alaska and the hwy and like you I can't remember the name either " I have enough trouble remembering the road I live on lol" . I'm sure that would have been a great trip when I was younger but now my idea of camping is a Quality Inn . My back would divorce me if I slept on the ground again :D! We used to love camping we did it for vacations for many years and still have tents and everything . Was hoping my son would get it out of my attic but there it sits :rolleyes:. But I have no doubt that would be a great motorcycle trip in the summer . Like you I'm not a big fan of the cruise I call it the floating petri dish . You ever notice one person catches some bug and the whole ship gets it ! I swear the first zombie of the zombie apocalypse will come off a Caribbean cruise , I'll put money on it lol. I'm doing the cruise for the wife " along with flying to Seattle & I hate flying" and already told her it's the only one for me unless I get godsmaked and fond I really like it " but don't hold you breath it isn't gonna happen " lol.

I ment ferry not hwy , but see whatbI mean lol

Which Ferry, MV.: Columbia, Malaspina or Matanuska?

Pnut, unless you took your own boat you'd be hard pressed to cruise the inside passage and tent camp along the way. Some places you'd need climbing gear. 

I've slept on the solarium deck almost every time I've ridden one of the fleet. There are radiant heaters under the "roof" so it's warm and you're out of the wind. 

I've only stayed in a state room one trip and that was bringing my in laws camper van home to them. Deb's Father had a stroke and Margie flew out with him. The ferry was paid and they needed their van back so Deb and I made the cruise. 

It's a great cruise and yes, you can tent on the solarium deck but good luck driving tent pegs. Food's always been good and staff is pleasant and good hotel quality service personnel.  

If you make the cruise you won't regret it.

Frosty The Lucky.

Pnut:  I've never made the trip but it is on my bucket list.  However, based on what friends who have done the Inside Passage on either cruise ships or Alaska State Ferries have said, plan for fog and rain.  If you are lucky and get sun or just overcast count yourself lucky but expect wet weather.  Also, if it is possible to schedule when you hit major ports such as Sitka or Skagway when there are no or few cruise ships in port you will probably have a better experience than when they are over run with thousands of touristas.  I don't know if the Harbor Masters have web sites with when what ships are expected but it is possible.

Good luck, have fun, stay safe, and stay dry.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand." 

Folks,

I hate to be the bearer of bad news,

But,  about three days ago.  the Canadian government  extended the ban on cruise ships until 2022.

Check out this news story,

Ban on cruise ships until 2022 deals another blow to businesses relying on tourism | CBC News

I tried to attach the u.r.l. to this post,

But the "control C" function, for internet addresses, has stopped working on my system.

Is anyone, else. having the same problem, too?

Regards,

SLAG.

OOOPS!

The url is working, now.  Go figure.

Good Morning,

There is a Washington State(?) Ferry, from Bellingham to Alaska (I can't remember to which Town). It doesn't stop in Canada (that I am aware of). The trip up the Inside Passage is like watching a movie that is always changing. It is stunning. Little tiny communities, hanging from the Wet Coast. The Wet Coast is wet, bring your rain gear or a bar of soap.

Neil

Neil:  According to the WA State Ferries website the only destination outside of the State of WA they have is Sidney on Vancouver Island.  They may have had service further north in the past but it does not appear that they do now.

That said, I believe there are private water services from Seattle to Victoria, BC.  There may be others going further north.  I do know there is seaplane service from Vancouver to some small communities further up the coast.

It is an area of the world that I could happily spend a fair amount of time exploring.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand." 

Good Morning George,

All the ferry routes that go between Canada and the US of A, are shut down. The border is closed. There will be no Ferry from Anacortes to Sidney, until the border opens. Black Ball Ferry from Port Angeles to Victoria is also shut down. The border is only open for essential Truck traffic. Not via the Ferries.

Bellingham downtown, there is a Ferry that goes to Alaska. US of A port to US of A port. It goes through Canadian waters, but it doesn't touch the beach until it makes the Alaska Panhandle.

Neil

Yeah, Bellingham is the southern terminus of the Alaska Marine Highway ferry system. Unfortunately the northern terminus is Haynes and you have to drive through Canada or fly to reach the rest of Alaska. I don't recall if there are other ferry routes between Haynes and the rest of the state.

It'll be on the Ak. Marine Hwy web site and you can ask questions. 

I can't fault Canada for closing the borders and the ports to foreign ships, especially cruise ships. Another summer without petri dish super spreader tourists is going to kill a lot of businesses here. I think it's a smart move on Canada's part but you should hear the complaints here. I'd like to see Alaskan borders closed.

Every time the infection rate slows, idjit gvts start taking restrictions off and golly molly gee WHIZ infection rates go up! 

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty I don't know all the details my wife set it up I know we are going from Seattle to glacier Bay with stops in Juneau and Ketchikan and a few others. You don't like halibut? I'm pretty sure that was on the list I guess it depends on the time of year ! Friend go up every year for a few weeks and bougt home some fresh halibut and it was the best . I liked it better than the salmon and I love salmon ! Lol 

Well I thought it hit post but when I got back on this morning here it sits lol . Any how it's all moot now with Canada shutting down the boarder for ships like slag posted. I don't blame them one bit , to be honest I wasn't looking forward to the petri dish Cruise to much unless I had the shots but even then you can still carry the virus and spread it . With all the people who still don't wear masks or believe in the virus Canada made the right choice since they have been able to keep a handle on it there for the most part. So maybe we'll go to the Outter Banks again instead for some surf fishing where no one is near me . Plus we can take my dog's " the puppy has never seen the ocean yet so thst will be interesting lol.

Ps : my wife who booked the trip said the reason the cruise is out is because by law a cruise ship must stop at a port in Canada because most ships are under a foreign flag . I don't know all the ins and outs of the law. So she just booked it for the following year sp we don't lose our deposit . Take care all.  

Dennis 

Please excuse the mistakes in spelling and words some are mine most are spell check :rolleyes:. Also thats a American law about stopping at a foreign port " I think we were to stop in Victoria for 4 hours " !

YES I LOVE halibut!! I must've really gotten lost in a ramble to miscommunicate that. Halibut has a delicate flavor that can take a heavy spice load and not be overwhelmed. I make a dish I call Mongolian Halibut, the original was for beef and not a traditional Mongolian beef, there's no sugar added at the end to caramelize the sauce. It's made with hot bean curd and hoisin sauce. I added  cumin because I like cumin, a fast HOT stir fry and it goes over stir fry veggies with rice. I discovered after the first time I had to almost double the spice load and have upped it considerably since. 

One of these days I'm going to marinate it in Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce and put it under the broiler. A friend makes marinara spaghetti with halibut and you haven't lived until you've had halibut tacos. Hot and spicy but still taste like halibut. Wonderful fish.

I'm somewhat familiar with cruises that turn around at Glacier Bay. If you make it one of these days check out Juneau's old town, it's about as cool as it gets. We used to eat at the "Roller Bay Cafe" in Ketchikan but last time I was there it'd moved to the bowling alley by the Super8 and wasn't as good food.

Cities in South East are in cloud belt rain forest so expect fog and rain.

Glacier Bay is awesome.

Yeah, it's American law that a foreign flag vessel can't travel from an American port to  American port without stopping at a foreign port. I used to know the reasoning but it was something Ben Franklin came up with to help curb British dominance IIRC. Maybe from around the war of 1812? I don't recall and not going to look it up. It's early and I haven't quite finished my first pot of coffee.

Iditarod is on but I don't know if it will be next year. PETA has managed to drive off the major sponsors and without them it's probably done for. They just ran the Willow 300 and Mitch Seve won for the 4th. consecutive time. Good breeding and care show, his teams look beautiful and are happy. It says a lot. 

Mushers have been training year around with wheelers for quite some time now, one of the big names from 30 years ago started doing it and it was such an obvious move everybody does. If you were to visit the Iditarod Headquarters about 6-7 miles from our place you could take a sled dog ride on a purpose build wheeled "sled". 

Sled dogs no fooling LOVE to run and pulling something is icing on their happy cake. Their excitement starts to grow when you walk out with their harness and they know THEIR harness from the others. 

A dog with a job is a happy dog working dogs doing what they're bred to do are the happiest. Ever watch a Border Collie herding. . . anything? You should see Ronnie our younger Dachshund at "barn hunt," The game is to find rats safely caged and bred for the sport, hidden in a large stack of straw bales. All sorts of obstacles like: high hides, tunnels and little narrow nooks. 

She is like a rocket, doesn't try to get the rats, just finds them and at a dead run. She's so happy everybody competing is laughing and cheering. 

I'll have to see if Deb has a youtube video.

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty man that sounds good to me it's one of the best tasting fish along with Red fish  in FL a few years ago when we were down for bike week . We can get halibut here but it's not as fresh as what my friends bring back much better flavor by far . You know I understand treating animals with dignity I don't like to see any animal mistreated but they go overboard sometimes . I'm a hunter and have had some dealings with them on a hunt to thin out the deer in a park that was getting over run luckily the game wardens kept them at bay so as not to have any trouble . I do my very best to take a deer with a quick kill so it doesn't suffer and I don't take bad shots I would rather let it walk through , a wounded deer does no one any good esp the deer . I am a ethical hunter and don't take more than I need and follow the game laws to the tee. They have no clue about different dogs and you are correct in saying sled dogs love what they do I have seen it first hand. I myself have Lab's and they are at their happiest when jumping into a cold pond to retrieve a bumper or a real duck or goose and that's just a fact . I can hear them now " look he's making that poor dog jump in that cold water lol" . As for the stopping in foreign port my wife tried to explain that law to me I had never heard it so now I know a little bit more about it thanks. Seems like a old law that needs to be taken off the books since it's not relevant now you know I read Chicago still has a very old law on the books at least it used to be that you can be arrested if you're ugly :o. So I stay out of Chicago since ugly means different things to different people " why take the chance "LOL :P:D. Maybe you can answer this ,we wanted to go to Denali on the train but found out you had to take a bus back to Anchorage . It's a over night trip and I told her I wasn't riding in a bus for that long so we scrapped that idea . I can't figure out why you can't take the train back , I mean it has to go back at some point right lol ? We didn't know if it was the train rules or the cruise company but we wanted to stick with the cruise because if something happens " I have bad luck when it comes to vacation's lol" it's up to them to get you back on the ship if it leaves without you ! The train thing just didn't sound logical to me . Probably a good reason though thats why I'm asking . Have a good day my friend .

Dennis

• 3 months later...

Finished my forge awhile back just been to busy with other things to mess with it . Throwing my back out for two months really set me back "no pun intended lol" on things around the home. But here it is. 

PXL_20210430_165548969.jpg

PXL_20210430_165321665.jpg

Guess I should add I used 1/8 aluminum for the shell and ceramic fire brick . I used a old propane grill cart I had to mount it on for easy movement in & out of my shop " I don't throw anything away ,to a point lol" ! 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi mikey I guess I missed that part somewhere , what do they need to be coated with ? I haven't started forging yet so no harm done still trying to catch up since my back problem and it's now 95° and humid here so no hurry to stand near flames till the heat wave breaks . I will go back into the forum and see if I can find it . But thanks for the heads up sir .