MCalvert

Members
  • Content Count

    28
  • Joined

  • Last visited

About MCalvert

  • Rank
    Member

Profile Information

  • Gender
    Male
  • Location
    San Angelo, Tx.
  • Interests
    Metal fabrication, hot rods, race cars, guns, shooting, 3 gun, knives, swords, axes, spears, armor

Recent Profile Visitors

199 profile views
  1. I just want to say well done on your forge. I know you are working a couple bugs out and all, but this thing looks fantastic to me. When you get it dialed in just how you want it, I bet it ends up being a pleasure to use! Bravo.
  2. I got my forge doors cast finally. Being that the doors are consumable items, I made a mold that I can zip together to cast more as needed, and leave in a corner in the mean time. These particular doors are cast-o-lite with soft brick cores. The soft brick had passages drilled and packed with cast-o-lite to tie the faces together and increase strength. I am impressed with cast-o-lite as it is very strong after it is cured. My hope is to have doors with reasonable toughness that will aid in insulating the forge to a degree.
  3. Overdue update: Except for casting of some refractory doors, the forge is finished. I am on to working out the burner. The interior is 1/2 in. bubble alumina for the floor and 1/2 in. COL30 for the walls.. light coat of matricoat90. I wish it was about an inch wider, but overall I am happy so far.
  4. Backfiring elimination (maybe/hopefully) via velocity increase
  5. I would recommend reading the consolidated notes (Lou's sticky) and Burners 101 so that when you make a 300-400ci forge to use the other 99.9% of the time you forge, it will be a well-built and useful tool. I hope your behemoth turns out great, and please post all the trial and error so that we can learn from your testing the limits of normally-sized burners in such a whopper. Good luck to ya!
  6. I am currently doing this, and I am hopeful it will improve low pressure performance.
  7. Progress has been slow till tonight. I got my shell finished (I think). I did run into some trouble though.. Two of the bolts warped in their nuts while welding. I have had good success with the method to hold the nuts while welding, but in the past I had used a TIG. I think the MIG had way too much heat transfer. I should have switched but didn't think about it at the time. Everything turned out ok though. I'm pretty happy with the shell, and if the next four days go well at work, I will be cutting and rigidizing refractory blanket. If the setting of the guts goes as planned, the forge volume will be somewhere between 302 and 318 cubic inches. As a side note, you may see these pictures and observe popping/high wire speed on the shell's welds/beads. This was due to an issue with the spool, and I had to turn her speed up to make it work.
  8. Thank you! I was probably looking at the same Ebay listing that you used. The price really isn't horrible from comparisons on Amazon/interwebs.
  9. Jwmelvin, Did you get one of the Ebay thermocouples? What are your thoughts on where to purchase having done so recently?
  10. So I'm both on the right track and in good company!
  11. I couldn't agree more, though I sometimes wonder about civilization. The patrol life is honestly a good one, but you NEED a support structure and avenue to decompress! In my case a wife/kiddos and lots of metal. (This comment intended for anyone by chance considering law enforcement as a career.)
  12. Frosty I'm having a blast. I traded my hot rod gig in a few years ago for a police job, so this is my regular mental health recharge. Everybody needs an outlet.
  13. Another progress update - The door and exhaust guides are on, nuts to hold the ribbon burner are on, and the ribbon burner is cast. I let the burner sit in a bag for 24 hours, then in open atmosphere for five days. I cast it a little different. I cast the refractory a little long, made a guide setup on some dowels, preset the voids for the crayons with a tapered rod of less angle than the crayons, then set the crayons tapered end down. This worked fairly well, but when setting the burner plenum in, a couple of crayons settled a little lower than the rest. The crayons were tapered, and when the bottom 3/4 of an inch was cut off, the smaller holes were exposed. The crayons were then melted out. I am hoping to slightly increase the air fuel mix velocity exiting the outlets. If it works, I came up with a precise way to do it next time so that the outlets will be very uniform.
  14. Progress update. Casting the burner this weekend!
  15. Progress. next will be casting and testing the burner.