I Forge Iron

Permit for a forge?

Forge Jim

A couple points Kilo. Asking the same question on more than one thread is a waste of bandwidth and isn't going to get you a better response.

Second, Why are you asking this of a forum with something like 45,000 members read in about 150 countries around the world? If on the other hand you're wondering how a person might go about finding out, we might be able to give you some tips.

So, hey. Ask your landlord if it's okay. That way if he says no you won't have to waste a bunch of time talking to the: FD, city, county and state code folks, insurance company, etc. You DO plan on carrying enough insurance to cover replacing the building if there's a fire. Yes? All an insurance adjuster needs to discover is a non UL listed let alone home made propane burning appliance in the building to deny a claim, even if it wasn't running at the time. 

Running a forge in a rented space is NEVER "just," there's nothing trivial about high risk activities in someone else's property at risk. Permits and inspections? You DO live in California don't you? Of course, there are probably more hoops to jump through than a trained circus dog on a busy day. ;)

Frosty The Lucky.

Leave it to iforgeiron to be full of a bunch of crusty know it alls. Been doing this professionally for 10 years and I have plenty of local contacts. Just running into a tricky problem I haven't heard of before and thought to ask the broader community. Oh well, I'll ask elsewhere, not much positive feedback on this site anywaUys. 

learn how to act like an adult or you will be asked to leave IFI

So after 4 hours you have formed that opinion? There are many " maybe in your state" that do not get on here every day. Not everything is instant. You got close to instant advice and just insulted it, and the website they contribute to. Doubtful anyone else will stick their neck out. 

The replies and additional questions surely don't sound "know it all" to me. 

It has to do with insurance. if the landowner insurance does not cover it, he is unlikely to allow it. The owner on the other hand may see it as low risk and do it without telling the insurance. Unwise, but possible. The tenant does not have that choice. Thne there are council regulations that vary from state to state (in Australia from suburb to suburb)  

Some time ago making your own biodiesel was all the rage. A few people burned down their house in the process only to find out that the insurance did not cover them. 

My landlord encouraged me to forge at the casita I rent; no permits, so special requirements.  One of the reasons I rented from him.  However I don't know how my situation here in NM renting from a person---no lease!---has any alignment with your situation.   Surely your local contacts have run into this before?

In general I understand trying to get covered as an artists studio is easier than as a smithy.

• 4 weeks later...

Well my neighbors hate me doing anything productive at the garage i rent and keep calling code department, first I’m running a “welding business “ then accusing me of storeing my welding cylinders illegally and latest is that i don’t have a hot work permit which is legitimate and is part of California’s fire code  each county has different fees and might have extra standards over set state fire code.im glad they called on that one because 1) with a hot wok permit i can make noise up to 90 dB legally during certain hours 2) I am safety oriented and would rather spend a week or two of work and 800$ And know I have met or exceeded the standard safety protocols . I’m extremely lucky as it is to get this garage for 1/4 market value and have the trust of the landlord to make changes as needed - I was a union carpenter before I joined the army and was a plumber till I got medically retired and taught my self and learned from school and friends electrical so everything i do is up to code... just maybe not permitted 

Work with the code officials to be sure you both compliant with codes and are in their good graces. Work with the landlord to keep him happy and informed so there are no surprises. Go above what is required for safety.

Find out the specifics for hours, and where the 90 dB is measured from and etc. Keep within the rules.  Work with the code dept and when you are ready to start, invite the code department over to see what you have done and if there is anything you have missed.  Show them the standard bucket of water, multiple fire extinguishers, concrete wall board, etc and other safety measures you have taken.

After a while the code dept will get tired of being called and have a discussion with the neighbor. Keep track of the neighbors infractions in case the information will assist the code dept in their discussion.

I've mentioned having an issue where an unknown neighbor was calling the fire department on me.  By sheer luck every time they wedged their big fire truck down my narrow alley I was using my smoker---cooking was a non-permitted use of fire in Columbus OH; After the 4th time this happened I was told that the caller was informed that there would be a US$1000+ fine for each false alarm called in.  Never had an issue after that.

Forge Jim,  is the building you are renting zoned for commercial use? You mentioned being a professional. Hobby use and commercial use is vastly different. Most residential areas consider a gas forge a heating appliance. Using a heating appliance for commerce requires permits and probably a business license not to mention insurance. You need to specify in which manner you will be using your gas forge and you May get a more helpful answer.

Pnut (Mike)