I Forge Iron

Just a photo.

alexandr

• Replies 771
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice place Alexandr. If you were closer I’d love to visit just to look around and see your property in person. From all the pictures you’ve posted, it has a park like feel. (I wouldn’t mind seeing you shop and watching you work as well. I could learn a lot!)

Keep it fun,

David

19 hours ago, Goods said:

If you were closer I’d love to visit just to look around and see your property in person.

Thank you David  !
30 years ago it was a bare field and a few hundred-year-old trees. People used to live here. But during the war of 1941-1945, an air bomb hit the house, and since then no one has been here. I bought this land in 1989.

26 minutes ago, NoGoodWithUsernames said:

That is a lot of wire to run! I was hoping you had some ingenious way of hiding a solar panel somewhere. They do look very nice though. 

There are few sunny days in our area.  It's cold in winter.  Solar-powered lanterns only last a very short time.  It's better to spend time laying wires.  Also, all lamps are equipped with motion and light sensors.

• 3 weeks later...

It's such a beautiful time of year if it just didn't presage winter. Almost all the leaves have fallen here so we're getting more sun through the trees but we've already had some single digit f. lows and warm days break freezing. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Alex, your photos offer a wonderful glimpse of a land that many of us have never had the opportunity to visit, thank you.

The sculpture intrigues me. Along with the difference in the benches, the differing styles of clothing suggest a young woman from the modern era visiting an esteemed gentleman from an earlier time. Is he a famous poet or composer? The green bough she holds adds a nice touch & as I look closer I see that it covers her book, so maybe he is a famous author?

--Larry

6 hours ago, LarryFahnoe said:

Alex, your photos offer a wonderful glimpse of a land that many of us have never had the opportunity to visit, thank you.

The sculpture intrigues me. Along with the difference in the benches, the differing styles of clothing suggest a young woman from the modern era visiting an esteemed gentleman from an earlier time. Is he a famous poet or composer? The green bough she holds adds a nice touch & as I look closer I see that it covers her book, so maybe he is a famous author?

--Larry

Larry !

This is a monument to the famous Russian teacher of the 19th century Ushinsky. Next to him is a modern teacher. The monument is located with the oldest school in Gatchina, built in the mid-19th century.

When I showed the statue of Ushinsky to my wife, Madelynn, sho is a retired teacher, she said it gave her goosebunps.

Statuary of this sort is more common in Europe than the US.  One exception if Loveland,Colorado, about 80 miles south of us.  Here are some links:

https://www.sculptureinthepark.org/sculpture-collection

https://www.uncovercolorado.com/events/sculpture-in-the-park/

https://www.google.com/search?sca_esv=576325651&rlz=1CAVARX_enUS1020&sxsrf=AM9HkKmTnZ3M8UEKSqUsyc7jdgeA2_Zpdw:1698194575713&q=park+statuary+loveland+colorado&tbm=isch&source=lnms&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwimmcfj-4-CAxUjMn0KHTfVCWkQ0pQJegQIDRAB&biw=1920&bih=961&dpr=1

They have a strong tradition of public art in that city and there is a large art foundry located there.

• 3 weeks later...

First snow is sort of a combination of anticipation and dread for the coming winter. We've had our first three snow storms though the first hardly counts with only 4" of accumulation, less than a week later we got 12" and about 3 days later another 12." I finished plowing out driving areas yesterday and it's snowing again now. 

I think Alaska has decided to act like Alaska for the first time in several years. I think it was lulling the newcomers into thinking winters are easy. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Frosty The Lucky.  

• 2 weeks later...

I'd make a joke about dating Dr. Zhivago but it is a good movie, Very good.

We got close to 30" of snow in an 8 day " snow event" (:rolleyes:) a couple weeks ago and now it's warmed into the hi 30s f. so everything I plowed is an uneven skating rink. I'd post a couple pics but this stupid new Iphone won't use my old Iphone email address and I am NOT allowing apple to install itself on my laptop! I made that mistake once with my old phone and it interfered with most everything wanting to turn my PC laptop into a MAC! 

Oh well, my snow pictures are about like Alex's, though it looks like your snow is drier than ours was. That's a good thing, fewer broken trees and limbs to clean up. Volunteer firewood only sounds like a good thing. eh?

Frosty The Lucky.

• 1 month later...

I like the chimney cap Alex!

Guessing that you are having a fairly typical winter. Here in Minneapolis, Minnesota we have essentially no snow and very unusual warm temperatures. About 85% of Minnesota has no snow on the ground. In October we got 2.7" of snow which did not last long, then the total for November AND December was only 2.6", all of which melted soon. We are 15.1" below normal snowfall for the winter in Minneapolis. Our temp today is just below 32F. So your pictures of a proper snowy winter are certainly appreciated! On the other hand, I can't say that I miss shoveling...;)

--Larry

2 hours ago, LarryFahnoe said:

On the other hand, I can't say that I miss shoveling...;)

Agree. Not the most pleasant experience.:wacko:

2 hours ago, Frosty said:

Ayup, that's cold Alex and yes it's beautiful, especially sun rise and set, though a full moon can be as breath taking as the temperature.

HI Jer !

Winter has its own charms, despite the cold. But I would prefer a warmer climate.

WhatsApp Image 2024-01-05 at 23.28.17.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2024-01-05 at 23.28.19.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2024-01-05 at 23.28.18 (2).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2024-01-05 at 23.28.18 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2024-01-05 at 23.28.18.jpeg

Warmer clime would be nice and warmer than our current break in temperature. It's warmed up to highs in the mid-high 20s, a few days ago it actually hit 31f and calm! T-shirt and skinny dipping weather!

Your arches and trellises give me shivers, I try to keep any overheads trimmed off or I avoid them, getting the snow dumped on me :( is not my favorite winter activity.

Frosty The Lucky.