I Forge Iron

new forge!!

Sabre

well thank you for all your help on making a forge..
i have made a few forges but this one is my best for now.
all i need is a good blower (i use a shop vac)
it is made from clay brick and a steel table underneath with a brake routor as a firepot. i spent a total of 16 dollars to buy the steel for the ductpot (underneath part)
the anvil is a 100 pound vulcan thanks to steveh!!

6731.attach

6732.attach

6734.attach

6735.attach

6736.attach

Well, it's not pretty but it looks functional and that's what's important. Once you've earned your first $million or so, then you can worry about looks. Mine isn't any prettier but again it's functional and that's what I like. At the rate I'm going I figure I'll make my first million in about 15 years. Of course that's cumlative and not all at once so I won't be buying everyone here steak and beers! :D

I was out of town this past week so maybe I missed this but, were did you get the anvil? The forge is isn't pretty but as long as it works then use it till it dies. Mine isn't pretty either, the blower is currently wired on. Looks horrible! The only problem is it doesn't work so well.:D Anyway, show us what you have made.

The kidsmith,
Dave Custer

Good little setup. I noticed carpenter claw hammers near the anvil. I would retire those for their intended purpose and try obtaining some 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 pound ball peen hammers instead. You can pick them up at pawn shops usually for around a dollar or two. BTW, nice little Vulcan. looks to be in great shape. I have the same Vulcan that I use for a portable demo anvil. Nice and quiet yet a suitably hard working surface. It is hard to find the 100 pounder in good shape. Careful working around the edges of your anvil as tool steel faces welded to cast bodies tend to chip a little easier. At least from what I have seen. Chris

Well, it's not pretty but it looks functional and that's what's important. Once you've earned your first $million or so, then you can worry about looks. Mine isn't any prettier but again it's functional and that's what I like. At the rate I'm going I figure I'll make my first million in about 15 years. Of course that's cumlative and not all at once so I won't be buying everyone here steak and beers! :D

Larry, I gave up on my first million. Some one told me the second million is easier to earn LOL

Looks like a good start, Sabre! I agree with Simmonds about the claw hammers. They're not blacksmith hammers;)

Nice setup Sabre but the location of your chair is ALL WRONG!!! :D You should pull it around to where you were standing to take picture #1 so you can easily admire your smithy.

I agree with the above: 1- a shop vac is noisy but a good blower with enough pressure (that most small squirrel cages lack) to power a very good forge; 2- I would lose the chimney and give yourself room to work, maybe just a couple bricks to the side of the pot and set wider than shown and; 3- that first million is hard to come by

Nice setup

well the only reason i have a hood is to vent the charcoal sparks away from my face and the bricks make it for more heat and being able to hold more coal/charcoal..
ya lol i know the chair was there because i had just mowed the lawn! it was in the way..

about the hammers
i have a big one but those claw hammers are all i have now...
when i go to princess auto i will get some tongs and a hammer...... i will make tongs for now and check the pawn shop..

overall thanks guys i am at school right now and get off at 2:15....
like i said i will post some pictures or the forge running

i am getting a barrel today also to make lots of charcoal wile i am forging....

Hey "sabre",
I am the kidsmith. That name is a regestered trademark of the Fiery Furnace Forge Blacksmith Co. I could sue! :mad: Just kidding!:D Maybe we should start a "kidsmith battalion." Kidsmith Assotiation of America" Yes, I am a member of the KAOA! :D I think I am starting to act like Frosty. Sorry!

THE kidsmith,
Dave Custer:D

Kidsmith Assotiation of America" Yes, I am a member of the KAOA! :D I think I am starting to act like Frosty. Sorry!

THE kidsmith,
Dave Custer

Yeah, right KID. Give it another 40 years of practice and you may get there. :P

On the other hand I like the idea of the KAOA. I want a subscription to the Newsletter.

Frosty:
Member in good standing of the GCOA.

I'll be the President, Sabre can be the vice president, Frosty will be the founding member, (we will have to say we started sometime in the early 1900's) ;) Hammerkid can be the newsletter writer, but we will have to think of a more official name for that. :D

The kidsmith,
Dave Custer
Proud member of the KAOA!:D

I'll be the President, Sabre can be the vice president, Frosty will be the founding member, (we will have to say we started sometime in the early 1900's) ;) Hammerkid can be the newsletter writer, but we will have to think of a more official name for that. :D

The kidsmith,
Dave Custer
Proud member of the KAOA!:D

EARLY :o 1900's?! You BRAT! Talk like that and nobody's going to tie your shoes for you.

Here's a respectful Kid for you.

Frosty

6761.attach

Edited by Frosty

Staedy gents.

You all should know that the time to take up anything is when you are young and you know it all!

The longer you are doing anything, you realise the less you know about it.

That's experience, you can't teach it, just pass it on.

Still learning, be dead when I'm not.