I Forge Iron

Cone Mandrel from Holland Anvil

foundryguy

On 10/27/2018 at 11:31 AM, stevomiller said:

That’s awesome. Did I miss the cost in a previous post? Ductile iron correct?

Yes, they are 65-45-12 ductile iron. They ask me not to discus pricing on this forum site. Shoot me a private message. 

JLP, I need to check with my son on that. I will get you on Monday. As always, thank you for your support! 

10 hours ago, BIGGUNDOCTOR said:

I always thought that cones could be made as a byproduct of casting the anvil. Pour the anvil and the sprue is in the shape of the mandrel. Cut the sprue off and you have a cone to go with the anvil.

Someone probably did that back in the day. Our down sprues are straight, not tapered, probably useful to someone for something but nothing that I would wish to sell with my name attached to it. We are a production shop focused on quality product for our customers, including the blacksmith tools. 

On 10/28/2018 at 11:27 PM, MotoMike said:

JHCC and JPL, thanks 

Mike, the material is quite but simple to polish, cut, machine, drill and tap. We debated on what to put on the bottom as a mount but a 1 inch without draft seemed to be the way to go. We have seen a few people hold them in a vice for their needs as well. 

• 5 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
1 minute ago, Whiskeymike said:

What's the slot for?

It's often called a "tong" slot but was more likely for the connecting link when truing up a ring on a chain.

Of course that's just my opinion I could be wrong. 

Frosty The Lucky.