I Forge Iron

Mystery tongs

Whiskeysup

First of all thanks to all that have responded, I am very new to blacksmithing, still in the collecting gear phase. It is easy to misinterpret words especially when texting(which I hate to do)-brief statements are often so.  Thank you Steve Sells for redirecting my post to the "Tongs" section-I did not see it as this was the first time on this great site. Looking forward to gaining skill and knowledge through the experience of forum members. Still trying to figure out what these tongs are for, wife said they are castrating tongs-a little worried why that was her first thought!

37 minutes ago, Whiskeysup said:

Still trying to figure out what these tongs are for, wife said they are castrating tongs-a little worried why that was her first thought!

Ha Ha. She may well be right! I would not be surprised if they have a veterinary use.

And I agree with Wayne. The tone of your response would indicate that you will fit in well here. Welcome to the forum.

I remember seeing that contraption before, a long time ago. Looks really familiar but can't remember what it is for.

It may come back ... or not.

Not tongs that's for sure, so it's in the wrong section. Should be in the mystery contraption section. 

Whiskey ... don't mind the locals, just do your thing. :)

My Daughter's a Veterinarian here in NM and nope they are not tongs for neutering animals.  If I had some time I'd peruse my 100 year old Sears & Roebuck catalog reprints. Unfortunately I'm booked till Monday night getting ready to visit my shop and forge at an SCA event and sweep the chimney at my northern house, etc.

Whoo eee! Thanks for all the responses. Took it out to the fence, couldn't figure out how to use it for tightening the wire. I am wondering if it was used for twisting wire, the shape of the points has me wondering. Also the longer of the "flats" is beveled to an edge. 

If I had to guess....

That company was big into drop hammers to make ceiling tin tiles--those decorative roughly 12" x 12" stamped tin pieces that get nailed up in old-school ceilings.

Those have some thickness..often more than 3/8" after stamping... which would account for the wider duck-bill portion but are lightweight and easily damaged which would account for the small gripper part.  I certainly would prefer to put those in and take them out of the hammer with tongs rather than my hands, especially when working fast.

The way it works is by holding onto the rolled edge of the drum with the mobil finger and then you push the sharp flat into the top by pushing the handles forward. The other flat is for guide on the outside. 

Then again it could be to extract Rinoceront molars :)

Marc1 gets the ceegar!

I went back out to the burn barrel and played with.the tongs. The first time I assumed it sheared the metal like scissors. Instead the two points grip the rolled top edge then you squeeze the tongs and pull down. It cuts the drum head similar to the old P38 can openers we had in the Army. The beveled part is curved to match the inside of the drum.

Thanks for all the responses, I guess I won't be pounding them into tongs I can use. 

20181025_181059.jpg

20181025_181051.jpg