I Forge Iron

This is not for cookie making!

With the tiny spoon taken care of I submit this next item for identification.

It is labeled as a "Rosette Iron", which traditionally refers to an implement used in cookie making. One dips the iron into batter and then into hot oil.  I don't think my tool was ever used for that purpose. The flat bottom would not be suited for making fancy cookies. Nor does it seem that it is a branding iron, it wouldn't make a distinct enough brand, I don't think.  It may be something that is inserted into a similarly shaped hole and twisted, but for what purpose I have no clue.

Looking for answers with thanks!

2027928650_T410RosetteIron1278.jpg.5af0256b5878e7af44e8789bfc6b3169.jpg458854540_T410RosetteIronmaybe1279.jpg.87a8b306f8d66dfeceb1274e06a04c00.jpg

19 1/2 x 1 1/2 in. dia., Iron with wood handle

ToolGal

My first thought was that a blacksmith made their own knurling tool.  But he handle appears to be fabricated to a higher standard than that of a one off tool.  Still seems to be a knurling tool...I’m just not sure what industry.

Does the fluted end roll on the handle? It looks tapered, is it?

A knurling tool requires a lot of pressure and I don't think a person could keep it from twisting in hand. Still it would depend on what it was used on so maybe. If we were talking about crimping a pie as "knurling it" then . . Oh yeah. 

On first glance I was thinking a beading tool for gluing rubber sheet together but on second glance, it's all wrong for a beading tool, it'd trap air rather than drive it out so that's a non-starter. 

If it's tapered it'd WANT to turn a circle and make a decorative imprint in soft material say clay or pie dough or . . . ? The taper would determine the radius of the circle and that might imprint a "Rosette." 

Frosty The Lucky.

I'm actually inclined to think that the rosette iron identification is correct, but not for the making of fancy cookies. Think instead of a delicate little cup in which one might put berries, sorbet, or something similar and dessert-like.

Holy Cow, you guys are great!  Not only did you figure out the rosette iron, you made me hungry at the same time.  It took a little convincing to make me believe it was really a baking implement, it is fairly heavy and in pretty rough shape.  I was thinking it could be another one of those implements that was made to be one thing but put to use in another way, who knows how. Just shows you that if it looks like a duck and sounds like a duck, it may really be a duck!  JHCC put us on the right path and Farmall cinched it with the cooking site link, confirmed by the likes of Daswulf and BIGGUNDOCTOR, - yahoo!

I appreciate hearing y'alls thoughts on what it isn't as well as what it is.  I had considered many of the possibilities that were eventually discarded as well.  Learning more every day.

Gratefully,

ToolGal

Oh it's FAR better than a baking implement, it's a frying implement! Everything's better when it's fried you know. :wub: Now if I could just figure out how to fry a cup of coffee. Mmmmmm.

Frosty The Lucky.