I Forge Iron

Best forge?

Sparksfly

Looking to get my boyfriend a forge for his birthday. Budget is under $200. He’s going to be using it to make knives  

I love the atlas mini forge but it’s just out of my budget. He’d typically be into building his own but he’s getting ready to finish up school and doesn’t have time. 

Any suggestions?

If you were in the United States you might be able to attend an ABANA Affiliate propane forge building workshop and meet that price point.  However as we don't know what he wants to forge it makes it hard to make any good suggestions.  (If you asked what would be the best vehicle for him and not tell us if he needed 4 wheel drive, or to carry 15 people, or to commute long distances cheaply; or to haul 16 tons of gravel...you can see  how the replies are going to be guesses and a waste of both your time and our time.)

You need to first find a fuel that is local to you can cheap, gas, solid fuel such as coal, charcoal, coke, wood, etc Next look for or build a forge that used that fuel. The type and design of the forge depends on what is being made and what the forge is used for. 

Search the site for JABOD forge. Cost is minimal for a solid fuel forge.

Read the forge section on the site for good information and answers to some of your questions.

Click on your name top right of the forum and add your location to your profile. IForgeIron is a world wide forum and visited by over 150 countries. Your general location is important in getting answers and suggestions to your questions, and products in your area.

Welcome to the site.

OK what continent are you on---I assume the $200 is to include shipping and are those Singapore dollars or Australian ones? (or Canadian, Fijian, East Caribbean,....) We have over 100 different countries participating here on the World Wide Web.

Will he be wanting to forge weld billets in it?

That's very advanced, and requires lots of skill and experience, and a pretty hot and generally large forge.

Buying a good forge is hard these days from what i've heard.  DYI is the way to go! Can you give more information? Does he live in the city? That would mean a gas forge might be better.  What stock does he have/want to use?

How much experience does he have? 

There are a lot of variables here, rarely are there plug and plays that work for everyone.  

Good luck! 

(M)

1 hour ago, Sparksfly said:

United States.

It would be better if you could narrow it down to a state. Much of the information is location specific due to availability and shipping.

We are trying to guide you into providing specific answers so we can better supply good answers. Yes it is a bit intimidating at first, both blacksmithing and the forum, but with a little patience you will find a whole world of information on your subject. And not just one subject but a world of information on each part of the subject. We want you to succeed, we just need a little help from you to make that happen.

The site moves very fast. Check back often so you can keep up.If you have questions, please ask. We will try to get you an answer. If you do not understand the answer, tell us and ask the question again, maybe in a different way. 

Yes, girl types are blacksmiths, excellent blacksmiths as a matter of fact. There are several on the site and they do amazing things. Just takes a little practice. Besides what is better than working together in the same blacksmith shop helping someone you like?  First time your in town, swing past the hobby store and pick up a brick of modeling clay, usually under $5. Anything you can do in clay, you can do in metal. The fun thing about clay is that if it does not work out, you can start over. 

Well if you are anywhere near the American Bladesmiths Society school(s); perhaps funding a class  there will work better than trying to select a forge without the input of the person using it.  (I know I am NOT allowed to choose appliances for our house even when I will be the person using them more often than my spouse.)

Also Quad-State Blacksmiths Round-Up,  held in Troy Ohio Sept 21,22,23 this year, is a great place to buy stuff as both new and used is available.  One of the demonstrators is generally a big name knifemaker and you can camp on site to lower costs.  I'm driving 1500 miles (each way) to attend.

There is only one forge sold for that price; you can find it on ebay, as part of a large collection of overpriced forges they sell. There is no need to say which one ot them you should choose because it is the only one in your price range. BUT, while is is worth the price, it should not be considered as turn-key. Everyone of their forges need to be finished in order to run efeciently. Fortunately, it only needs some simple and cheap additions to make it work fine'

What I would recommend for a present instead, would be a topflight burner. the Forge's burner is the hard part for most guys to get right. He can easily build a forge with a good burner to begin with, and that leaves him the choice of what kind of forge he wants to mount it in.

The only first-rate burner in your price range is sold at Hybridburners.com.

You say that he does not have time to build a forge but to make any of the low priced forges useable he will still need to spend time casting the interior and applying an IR product (like Plistix or Metrikote).  For the same amount of time and money invested he can build a better forge.

Let me know if I can help you. 

Wayne

Yes; exactly; building a forge isn't hard. It[s getting the burner right that most guys find hard. So, buy him the hard part and let him build the easy part. Devil forge make pretty good burners for reasonable money. Hybridburners.com make good burners for too much money, but still within your budget. A 1/2" burner, and point him toward building a forge from a non-refillable helium or Freon cylinder for it. We will all help him through its construction.  he will never grow tired of the burner or the forge.

Heres my advice for that price point.  Buy him a box of 8 k26 insulating firebricks, a 50lb bag of kastolite30, a pint of matrikote90ac.  Then tell him to come her on instructions to put it all together and build a burner.  All of that will be in the 200 range.  Anything other than that will cost a lot more for something decent.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I believe building own forge is the best option. But If you don't want to build it, you can search online for propane gas forge guide and expert opinion to get some ideas. Do your own research, then search online stores such as xxxxxxxxxx  to get your required forge. I started with a one-burner forge from amazon.

Thanks mate.

• 5 months later...
On 6/17/2018 at 6:08 AM, WayneCoeArtistBlacksmith said:

Or help you build yours.

Sorry to revive a thread a bit here... but I know I for one would for sure love someone to either build for me or help me build a burner. I think I can handle the forge part... but I do not have a drill press to drill and tap a T for a burner and the ones I have managed to find on etsy/ebay either seem to be way off size from what Frosty's plans have or are way expensive.

I finally found my local ABANA affiliate the other day. I have not joined their site yet, but from what I have been able to discern from their FB page and site, they are not doing anything in person at this time due to the current pandemic. I was planning to pay their fees and apply to join once people could actually do things together again.

Join now and talk to the members, you might come across someone who will let you use theirs, make one for you, etc. Heck you may get a great deal on a drill press. I don't think anybody with any sense is making face to face contact with anybody they don't have to. Staying safe is a lot more important than building a forge right now.

Frosty The Lucky.