I Forge Iron

Built my first anvil stand

I took a couple of hours this afternoon to built a stand for my railroad track anvil. It is my first one I’ve ever built so it’s not top notch but it hasn’t fallen apart yet and  it works pretty well. What do u guys think?

511E589B-B9B2-480E-8E40-55B46F010947.jpeg

1930E2E6-5680-41EF-B728-04BACC8F9EEC.jpeg

I would suggest re orientating your anvil, the head up the rail is only 1 1/2” x 3” but in that orientation you have a 1 1/2” x 3” column under your hammer intend of the 7/8” web. 

You might look at this for inspiration. 

Second, are you using the hot set with the hames cap as a top tool or a hammer? As a hammer I would dress the “pein” to at least 1/2 radius as a top tool I would sharpen it 

That  one had a broken handle so I carved and sanded it down to fit in the hames handle correctly and I do plan on sharpening it and getting the rest of the  rust off also. Everyone I know that sees it tried to steal it for some reason?

1 hour ago, ThomasPowers said:

Hame, Hame, on the range; where the Deer and the Jackalope play....

And the mer folk sneak up on your hame?

Do we have a misspelling / typo becoming a new name for a tool ? It makes me wonder how many words and heck languages got started like this. It is sooo cool.

Frosty The Lucky.

Oy gib mir a haym,
Mit a vaybele shayn,
Ver der shepsn und de tseygelakh loyfen,
Oy gib mir a hoys,
Mit gisinten cowboys,
Und a couple hundert kettle tsu farkeyfen!

1 hour ago, Frosty said:

Do we have a misspelling / typo becoming a new name for a tool ? It makes me wonder how many words and heck languages got started like this. It is sooo cool.

The English language is based on the misspelled words of languages from the world over, Latin, Greek, Scandinavian, Indian, French, Germanic etc etc etc, we've spent many centuries perfecting our misspelling........is it any wonder we get all grumpy about the Americans messing with it!

7 hours ago, Matthew Hargis said:

did I spell it wrong?

What is a "Hame?" I believe all of us assumed you misspelled "Hammer." 

Boy will our faces be red if assuming got us AGAIN! :wacko:

Frosty The Lucky.

You got to remember Charles is a farrier and horse type person. He thinks in horse first, blacksmith is a second language..
I will post a reference link as Farm Hames or Pulling Hames.  (It is in the Horse Stuff section of the site).

Quick answer  hame: Two curved pieces of iron or wood forming or attached to the collar of a draft horse, to which the traces are attached.

hame.jpg 

And while we are catching up on our reading, try Snow shoes for a horse.

Part of a major change in how equines were used. Early style harnesses would choke the horse under a heavy load, the horse collar moved the load stress from the throat and you could now use them to pull a heavy plow or wagons.

And let's not forget Hamish....as in "How was the poison administered  Sherlock?"; "It was alimentary  Watson!"

Yes, ox style yokes are a poor match for horses, tho interesting enough you can flip a a coller and hames and use them on cattle. The Swiss coller and asiatic coller are variations. Then we get into breast coolers and saddle yokes....

As blacksmithing is a foundation technology we could end up with many more subsections descusing forging and using tools and hardware for a thousand different things. Just the steel for this set of hames (it is held on with long washer backed rivets).