I Forge Iron

A Rail Spike Knife..... Ha just kidding Thomas

MotoMike

Thanks Irondragon.   I think I have an hour and a half in that thing.  started with a 4 pounder and once broken down a bit switched to my 2.25 rounding hammer.   I suppose it is worth it for the experience, but wondering if people would pay what I need to make it worth the effort.  It was fun though.   Do you know if linseed oil can be used on items that will be in contact with food?  Or should I use something like canola?

1 hour ago, MotoMike said:

Does it take on a dark color?

Mike, for me it works about like the linseed oil. you can just coat it hot and wipe off, or you can go with a burnt in, black finish by reheating after spraying. Some times I will spray and heat a couple of times to get that seasoned cast iron look. I like it both ways. Oh and the cheep spay works just as well for me as does the name brand.

2 hours ago, JHCC said:

Just keep that aerosolized oil away from open flames!

Thanks JHCC, sometimes I forget to mention the obvious.                    Dave 

Frozenforge - I think I got it pretty good.  but as you say, a lot of work.  funny thing about the rail spike.  It must connect with people as I've posted several things on the blacksmithing for beginners site before and got 6-10 replys.  this steak turner is at 155 and counting.  surprised me.  

11 hours ago, MotoMike said:

More work than I thought it would be.

It is Gorgeous, and a few other "ous's", like Sumptuous. You are not likely to fetch what it is worth, because few, save those above, who know what went into it, can appreciate it.

Bravo.

Robert  Taylor.