I Forge Iron

Vise?

Marc1

Not really a vice ... Consider sharpening a chisel on this thing ... or doing anything else for that matter. Nice to look at it though. Reminds me of the early mechanised tin openers. As useful as an ashtray on a motorbike  :P then again, may be 100 years ago this was the must have cordless power tool kit of the day.

$_20.JPG

You could easily make a rotary cutter and put it in place of the carborundum. get it up to speed and feed the potatoes in a tube towards the cutter. It would spit the chips like 45 rounds out of a tommy gun :)

I am sure we can place it in the useless inventions ... 

Well to argue with myself, (funny thing I always seem to lose), I tell my students that the London pattern anvil is the SAK of anvils with lots of bells and whistles on it.  (And like a SAK you can generally do very well with a plan simple 1 to 2 blade knife and  a simple improvised anvil...)

Looks like something Harbor Freight would make and market for the guy who likes to tinker but isn't really serious about doing anything in particular.  Similar concepts would look ridiculous when applied to say a bathroom where a toilet contraption with accessories attached served as the sink, tooth brush holder, mirror and soap dispenser all in one handy thing secured to your septic with a wax seal :D  Saves space and for an extra $39.99 you can have a hair dryer/hand drying nozzle!

12 hours ago, JHCC said:

My woodworking teacher liked to say that any combination of two different tools won't do either very well.

Mm I would probably disagree with your teacher. He obviously never used L' invincibile ... :)

Sorry about SAKing up the works! On blade and bushcraft forums lots of acronyms evolve about cutlery just to save time or shorten posts. SAK = Swiss Army Knife, GEC = Great Eastern Cutlery, etc. Once you're in a cutlery state of mind you can cypher most of them out but I have been stumped by a few. Years ago a group at the Pentagon called TRADOC started a campaign to convince us lowly soldiers that acronyms were better than regular speak for day to day interpersonal conversation. And they LOVE applying acronyms to weapon systems! Why have a Multi Launch Rocket System when you can just tool around in an MLRS.

PS TRADOC is Training and Doctrine Command

Cold War lullabies may be back in fashion soon! Hope Not!!!

Apologies Marc1 for running off on so many tangents on your thread. I'm easily distracted but every time I pop back in here that little vise/grinder/anvil widget grows on me. Would it be possible to mount a Jacobs type chuck to the spindle the grinding wheel is on and use it as a drill? Either way it's a neat little tool. Also, I could use an ashtray on my motor bike! And a fan for summer time riding :-)