I Forge Iron

Refflinghaus or Ridgid ?

When I was getting out on my own and took my first solo trip I got a bunch of Traveler's checks. Discovered on the road everybody was happier taking one of my Bank of America personal checks than paying the fees and % to take a Traveler's check.

Soooo, I came home with several hundred in $20 Traveler's checks and to get my money back I had to sign each one to cash and they went back to my bank without the charges, etc. After sitting and signing them all, the bank employee does their thing and slides over a paper for me to sign and All's done!

I just sat there looking blankly at the paper with the little red stick on arrow. I couldn't remember my name let alone how to spell it.

He laughed and passed one of my checks back and all I had to do was get my cramping hand to do what it was told.

Frosty The Lucky.

Reminds me of when I bought the house out here and had to sign my wife's name and reference the power of attorney to do so about a gazillion times.  Of course if she had been here to sign, it would still be going on 17 years later as she calligraphs her signature in a fancy hand---once she had some papers come back from selling stock saying "you have to sign this you can't use a rubber stamp" so she signed them again and then in the same hand wrote "this is not a rubber stamp; this is my legal signature."

My Dad had a friend back in the 50's who was buying a new car. The dealer handed him the paperwork and told him to put his John Henry on it, so he signed it John Henry. The dealer got mad , tore it up, and told him "I meant sign YOUR name name!" he looked at him and told him "That IS my name...."

Beef56, you will be better served getting the anvil off of the separator stand on onto a proper one that is either wood, or fabricated out of steel.

I have anvils from a 96# HB to a 306# Soderfors, with a 125# JHM, 138#PW, 150#Vulcan, 170#HB, and a 260#Fisher in between, and what do I use the most? The 260# Fisher, not because I need the size, but it was the first anvil my Dad and I used, and I love how quiet it is to work on. For what he and I have done work wise we could have used an anvil around 150# and done just as well. I loaned my 125# JHM Journeyman to a friend from Italy to make pattern welded billets and he mentioned that it was a nice anvil.  It is a farrier anvil with more of a blacksmithing shape than most farrier anvils. It has turning cams on the heel , but they have come in handy for tweaking , and bending items.  JHM makes anvils up to 260# at reasonable prices, and they supply the anvils for various farrier competitions.

It all gets down to what YOUR needs are. If you are only working 1/2" stock, you don't NEED a 200# plus anvil. You may WANT one, but you don't NEED one ;)

Post a picture up of the anvil you have now, so we can take a look at it. Many times what newbies call rough is actually no big deal condition wise.

Beef. My progression- first three years  #240 cast iron bridge anvil 40% rebound- lots of lurking lead me to look for a “better” anvil. Next two years #80 Vulcan about 60% rebound but I literally broke a golf ball size chunk out of it trying thin out some leaf spring. I hugely upgraded to a #700 South German over 90% rebound. Having such nice equipment has made me strive for more ambitious projects. 
I say all that to say - read through tons of articles and let your skills tell you what you need. If you get an unbeatable deal along the way - you will know what to do. 

3 hours ago, BIGGUNDOCTOR said:

Beef56, you will be better served getting the anvil off of the separator stand on onto a proper one that is either wood, or fabricated out of steel.

Post a picture up of the anvil you have now, so we can take a look at it. Many times what newbies call rough is actually no big deal condition wise.

20210220_165342.thumb.jpg.5102ccc5c74b1ff459157a7612da5f0f.jpg

20210220_165227.thumb.jpg.c3cdacf3c23e03601da4b48c8f0c58fc.jpg

I "THINK" I need an anvil heavier than this 125. Maybe a better base is the answer. I appreciate all the suggestions!

Edited by Mod30
Trim quote.

I didn't think I "needed " a new anvil, I just "wanted" one. I know it won't improve my craftsmanship but thought one a bit heavier would be easier to move material. I will build a different base, probably 6x6 on end and give that a try. I still may order a 165 lb Peddinghaus if I can find one discounted. I wish I could find a Hay Budden in good condition in that weight area. Thanks for all the information !

I think the issue is less with Covid and more with them having sold out at Quad-State in September and at ABANA's Iron to Art Festival in October (for which they also donated ten anvils). The anvils are a sideline to their main foundry production, so stock only gets replenished when the production schedule isn't full up with other orders. They are beautiful anvils, though, and the Hagans pere et fils have been developing a good reputation for quality product and customer service.

I can understand wanting a new anvil and I have no regrets buying one.

I started with a 100# vulcan and it worked well but I always worried about beating on it too hard as it has a few chips. 

When I was shopping it came down to the Rigid and Kanca. For some reason I wanted a forged anvil and those are the only ones not cast today.

The Kanca was about $40 cheaper but I much prefer the horn shape of the Kanca v. Rigid and that sealed the deal for me. 

That said and I know my anvil is all I will ever need, I want a big old American show piece. A 400# Fisher is my dream anvil (for now)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey friends, I make the Holland stuff. We are out of stock on a lot of items currently as mentioned. While sales have been good the reason is due to commercial casting orders in our foundry and tooling orders in my pattern shop where anvils are machined and horns are polished. We are swamped. Add to that the inability to hire here in Michigan, its crazy. It would be hard to find a business in Michigan that is not in need or workers. We never had issues like this pre Covid. The anvil items take a back seat to the commercial orders that have kept us in business for 75 years. 

We take small refundable deposits on anvils that are not in stock and we will be casting a bunch of sizes next week. Many of the anvils in process do not make the website, they are sold to those that put a deposit down. 

I do not want to use this group as a sales platform, just let you all know what we are up to. 

We appreciate the support we have had from all of you on IFI, its been a great 4 years making these tools! More sizes and shapes are in the works including a 190 double horn in the coming weeks! 

Happy Holidays, Salud!