I Forge Iron

Homemade Forge Build

American Piddler

• 2 weeks later...

You seem competent with tools and are probably better than i am at producing items.  However you should not be making any instructional videos until you can figure out and follow the basics of safety.  This is the second video i have seen from you where the lack of safety gear and/or the misuse of tools could have led to immediate serious injury.  Also the dangers of long term health affects from lack of ppe.

You need to realize people will see and duplicate these videos and the damage done to them is your fault.

On 11/25/2017 at 7:06 PM, Binesman said:

You seem competent with tools and are probably better than i am at producing items.  However you should not be making any instructional videos until you can figure out and follow the basics of safety.  This is the second video i have seen from you where the lack of safety gear and/or the misuse of tools could have led to immediate serious injury.  Also the dangers of long term health affects from lack of ppe.

You need to realize people will see and duplicate these videos and the damage done to them is your fault.

Your responses are repetitive and generic have you watched the last video to make sure I had all proper ppe? Your advice on safety has been taken no need for you to mention it again

Any chance you can go back and add something really anything such as adding text to your completed videos saying "I really should have had gloves on while welding this"?

2 hours ago, American Piddler said:

Your responses are repetitive and generic have you watched the last video to make sure I had all proper ppe? Your advice on safety has been taken no need for you to mention it again

As an Alabama boy I would have been slapped me bald for saying something like this to someone who is my elder, a master craftsmen or a master craftsman who is my elder. I understand you are not having the kind of interaction you were looking for when you posted links to your YouTube videos on IFI but there is no reason to be rude. I am not sure what you are looking for here but I don't think you will get it telling people what amounts to shut up.  

It think part of the disconnect is that we are not just talking to you, we are talking to others who are lurking or who in the future may stumble open this thread. So yes, you will get dinked for not having proper PPE, you will get dinked for showing or advicating somthing dangerous. If it high on the hold my beer scale the admin will shut it down. They aren't trying to limit your creativity, they are trying to protect others. We have members from grade school to great great grandparents here. The same thing applies to your vidioes, do you realy want the karma fallowing you around if some one who is not as experienced at doing dangerous things safely gets them selves hurt or killed buy an example you set? 

This might help smith things for you, your being treated like an equal. if I was the one needing a "sit down" the other members wouldn't sugar coat it for me either. 

3 hours ago, Charles R. Stevens said:

This might help smith things for you, your being treated like an equal. if I was the one needing a "sit down" the other members wouldn't sugar coat it for me either. 

I can tell you that you ain't kidding. I spent all day with my nephew building the anvil stand and here is what Thomas A Powers (his own bad self) said about the height.

If you had researched here you probably would not have thought it...Some of the "old" blacksmithing books suggest it; but then they were doing a very different craft in some ways---got a striker or 3?

That is a "zero sugar" comment I thought I had done my research so I took the comment as the constructive criticism is was meant to be.   

3 hours ago, eseemann said:

Problem being this is the second video ive seen from you and just like the first one extremely dangerous practices are shown as "tutorials" along with general disregard for ppe.  If both of these videos where produced prior to your time on this forum and you are now embracing and instructimg on proper safety.  Then i sincerely apologize and thankyou for taking the time to post instructional videos and would appreciate a link to your current work.  Please understand my criticism is meant only to drive home the point that if you are going to "instruct" than 100% of your actions need to reflect safety to ensure that anyone who sees your video does not harm themselves from information you passed on.

We the general membership don't get to see all the posts taken off line for inappropriate comments nor the PM's from moderators and administrators trying to bring a poster back into the TOS of IFI. This site is not owned buy a giant corporation mining it for information to be sold to marketers, it is solely owned buy Glenn Conner. The small advertising income the site generates helps partially offset its operating costs as do T- shirt sales (Glenn's day job "donates" labor, and materials). Himself, the other administrators and moderators all volunteer their time. This place and the mass of information preserved here is a service Glenn and co offer us free of charge, but at the end of the day we are guests. Glenn is a dang sight easer going and fair than I am, he gives you every chance to overcome a case of cranial rectumitis. But in the end if he gives you the boot you must be some special kind of jerk. If you insist on using Mrs. Conners flower boxes as a urinal, what do you expect?   

As the experienced people here say, You have to Work at getting banned here. To any respectable person, the rules are easy to follow. We all slip up now and again. It happens, but when respectable people get a warning they see it for what it is and adapt and become better for that warning. Disrespectful people will keep on. Kind of the same deal with forging  

I've been warned over a typo before and also over a phrase I had used the same week when talking with my Pastor----in Church!  I survived to make a few more posts....

It's Glenn's ball and so Glenn's rules!  I well remember cleaning up my language when my kids were born and now having to keep it clean for the grandkids...With luck I may have to watch my tongue with the great grandkids some day.  Not a problem for me.

Please re-read the terms of service if you have any questions. Basically No fussing, No cussing, No personal attacks, and stay away from discussing religion and politics. Recently added was be respectful of others.  This has nothing to do with blacksmithing. It does make IForgeIron a G rated family forum, a comfortable place to visit, and a place where anyone can visit and learn about blacksmithing. We expect the members to be ladies and gentlemen, and act as such. 

Each month, IForgeIron has visitors from over 150 world wide countries, and from most all demographics. We simply ask them to follow the site rules.  When any member does not follow the site rules, they get warned.  Several warnings and they get banned. 

This thread is now closed.