I Forge Iron

Any blacksmiths in Puerto Rico?

I was hoping you would post  again. Im not in puerto rico but I have a question for you. Hows it going down there. The news is saying still alot of people without electricy. And they keep talking about aid and help going there. Have seen any of this? Do you have a place to live? Is the food truck going to be fixed? Sorry for so many questions but the news reporting might not be accurate to whats actually happening there. 

Well the owner of the food truck decided to move the restaurant to a building nearby, and is working with a generator. i worked a couple of days, still not working much really. Probing the new site to see how the new place behaves and if it gets clients like the old location. 70 percent of the island is still without power, and the 30 percent that has, is not reliable and that's a rough estimate, comes and goes, where i live, at my grandmas home haven't seen electricity in over a month, my mother is in the 30 percent, so comes and goes there. There's areas really affected by the storm, ones more than others. Less than 2 weeks ago my friends were still opening roads to people still trapped in the homes up in the mountains, there's roads and bridges collapsed in areas where the sea or rivers where close. I've had bad stomachache for the last 3 weeks until 3 days ago, probably because of water not being treated correctly. To he honest ive seen more help coming from between ourselves more than anything else. From the "outside"

Situation is tough, im getting by better than most, because i have lots of family near me so i have resources. But there's a lot a people going thru almost survival situation.

But im making little to no money at the moment. So im looking for better job opportunities.

It was a very powerful storm. Id say it damaged 3 out 5 of every light poles in the island in some way at the very least. Maybe half thrown to the ground.

On a side note im trying to gather blacksmithing equipment and knowledge from around, blacksmithing on the island is not sometheing you see really, so mostly is things people have hoarded from a long time ago. I wanna make a little money from the trade.

i dont mind the questions, hope i answered sufficiently clear, english is not my first language.

I lived  in a friend's  wooden house up in the mountains in Cidra for a couple of years, and left 3 years ago. That house is destroyed. And that's the situation some people are living. My home is basically unscathed, but houses of concrete not made well constructed or wooden homes are trashed, all around the island. And areas with tendencies to flood saw the most damage of all in my opinion.

peace.

Estoy trabajando en Mexico, no problema!

This may be a good time to pick up "old stuff" as people clean up after the destruction and so many a shed and garage, even factory building have failed and need to be cleaned out for rebuilding.  As usual finding which ones might have had something interesting is the issue and talking with folks is the answer.

True Thomas, but at this moment, im not precisely with abundance to fill my cars gas tank and go around sadly, im in ecomode hehe. Not really making money at the moment, im really putting my resources in either getting a good paying reliable job and healthcare. Ive had a little trouble with my health lately. So im trying not to spread myself too thin, at least for the time being until my situation normalizes a bit.

There is equipment around that i would take for my litttle shop if i could, but i can't make proper offers for people to  let things go.

I did not know you knew some Spanish, awesome btw. What are you doing in Mexico?!

A couple of decades ago, one of the big hurricanes to hit Florida took out a large number of Cuban mahogany trees that had been planted a hundred or so years earlier, and an enterprising woodworker went out with a flatbed and a chainsaw to salvage what logs he could before everything got shredded by the recovery crews. Did very well selling the resulting lumber to fine cabinetmakers, since Cuban mahogany has been largely unavailable for a long time.

Sounds like something i wouldn't know anything about, but nonetheless interesting. Very nice. Thomas.

Same here with other woods, ive seen people salvaging wood lately, i actually took a few pieces of a mango tree that fell close by and one is my anvil stand, the other my forge stand and another is my wood chopping block and hand sawing block. JHCC

• 3 years later...
  • 5 months later...

I have no idea. If there are any left. My late grandfather Maseo Lamboy as he was known was a true blacksmith. I'm obsessed with finding his anvil as he passed his trade talents to his sons but the youngest who sort of stayed with the craft didn't appreciate it except car mechanics and they got rid of his anvil years ago. I would have appreciated it and possibly would have donated it for historical purposes. Unfortunately I have no idea how to trace it coming to P.R. or going.

Do not be concerned with things over which you have no control.  That anvil has moved on, you need to now look for something that can be used as an anvil to address your needs.  Anything heavy can be used.  JABOD as a forge and a 2 pound hammer and your good to go.

• 9 months later...
On 11/1/2017 at 9:54 PM, Zeap Nehpets said:

Hoping not to be the only person working metal in my island hometown. 

I want to learn blacksmithing but I haven't found anyone that can teach me, I've learned some of the basics but I don't know how I wrong I am or how right I am.

Johnavy, welcome aboard from 7500' in SE Wyoming.  We're glad to have you.  Please read the "Read This First" section if you haven't already.

While it is always better to learn from someone else there are many of us here who are self taught.  I had been forging with only hard copy books for guidance for about 12 years before I even met another smith.  Today, with the internet and videos and fora like this it is a lot easier to be a lone eagle than it was in 1978.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

• 4 months later...

Saludos from sunny Puerto Rico . I just joined this page and saw that you were searching for more blacksmiths in the island . I've been blacksmithing for many years now ( since I was 14 years old) . I mainly focus my work on "armorsmithing ", and hace been helping in the restoration /fabrication of cerrojos for El Fortin San Geronimo (currently closed due to repairs of its structure). I set up a little blacksmith shop there . But had to take everything with me back home while the ICP finish up the repairs. 

Cualquier cosita a las ordenes !!!

20210123071342_IMG_0618.jpg

• 1 year later...