I Forge Iron

leaf blade sword in the works

Steve Sells

I just finished rough grinding this 24 inch leaf blade, out of 5160H. The width at the buldge is 2 inches, the widest part at the base is 2 1/4. thickness at base is a little over 1/4 inch and less than 1/8 at 1 inch from tip.

The fittings will be continuing the willow theme, in Wrought Iron/Tool steel damascus, with some 5a figured walnut for the grip and scabbard.

I will post more when I get her polished, and mounted :D

5722.attach

5723.attach

Edited by steve sells
typo

This is the pic I was sent by my client I have no clue as to origins, or time, but since his deposit check cleared, I am happy to do it for him.

I am not sure if he is a re-enactor, but I was told he is big on RPG's. While I don't do pure fantasy, I liked this idea of a willow leaf theme. If this is way off of histotic design, please don't tell him until after I get paid :D

5742.attach

I own "the Celtic Sword"; but must say I don't recall any irish iron/steel blades of that shape; of course the Irish re-enactment group I was president of did Y1K Ireland so my early research is not as strong as I would like; can you tell us what it's based on?

You're right on the nose Thomas. Iron blades of that style typically show up during the transition from the Late Bronze Age into Early Iron Age because the Continental metalsmiths were often reproducing bronze styles in iron. However, that doesn't seem to have occurred in Ireland. Other than some socketed axes, the Irish seem to have quickly ditched bronze styles and chose not to attempt to recreate them in iron, unlike the Continental Celts.

If there were are any surviving swords of that shape found in Ireland they were almost certainly an imported item and not a native item. (Just like the single anthropomorphic sword found in Ireland).

• 3 weeks later...

History, cultural context and customer aside, that is some fine looking work. For my book, forging two straight lines with four curving mirror image bevels all symmetrically is no small feat. Heck, for me, not melting the tip off is an accomplishment. Great work! I too will enjoy and appreciate any photos you post. Thanks for sharing!

• 1 year later...

I just sent this out today:
total weight 1.174 kg / 2 lb 9.4 oz. PoB @ guard
25 inch blade of 5160, double tempered.
over all length 33.75 inches.
cross guard width 11 inches.
All fittings are of old wrought Iron, folded 4 times, etched with dilute ferric chloride.
Wood stabilized hybrid English x Clairo fiddleback walnut. satin finish

post-2529-12681798710038_thumb.jpg

post-2529-1268179877941_thumb.jpg

"total weight 1.174 kg / 1 lb 9.4 oz. PoB @ guard"

Steve you got a typo in here as 1kg is 2.2 pounds; shouldn't that be 2lb 9.4 oz?

Sounds a bit hefty probably has a real solid "chop" to it; where is the COP on it?

Thanks for pointing that out Thomas, I just corrected my typo on the weight. My scale is only metric, and I misread my math. Weight is in part due to spine of .31 inch thick. till the 1/3 nearest the tip.

Percussion: I don't know exactly. Before mounting I hacked a 3inch limb off the maple tree, it cut clean. I didn't really feel anything, very solid on the cutting through most the middle portions of the blade.. This was commissioned for a LARP, by a sword forum member, who is a Japanese martial artist. Client didn't want any nickel or brass on it, so I went for the restored antique look with the wrought, and the grain of the wood.

Thank you for the comments, the Client wanted a Willow leaf theme, so I did the guard as down swept branches, and the blade is the shape of the leaf. I don't really do fantasy but this one got my interest, took longer than planned but I like the final result, but as always I wish I had more time to do more to it. My First pommel was a failure in that it did not match the pattern of the other wrought, so I remade it and folded one extra time to thin it out and its much better this way.

Personally I like a sword to have the smallest guard possible. But this has perfect balance, I am just waiting to hear from client after he uses it, as that is what really matters most.

the focus is bad, but here is a rear shot showing how it attaches to a belt. also wrought and pinned.

Very punny Pete, and no problem Kevin. Part of my problem was getting the size to look and feel right to me, as we both agree smaller guards are preferred, Unless the man paying the bills says otherwise, but it worked out, and he seems to be pleased.

Now, may I PLEASE have a normal blade order? lol