I Forge Iron

Forged or ASO?

LOCATION  price can  vary by 50% just in the USA and we don't know which of the 100+ countries that participate here on the World Wide Web your are in.

Here in anvil poor New Mexico USA I would expect it to go for US$3 a pound or more.  Back where I used to live I'd offer $2 a pound.  Other places will vary.

Look up the ball bearing test as it can identify a possible issue.  Also that type of anvil should ring when tapped.

33" long would put it close to 300lbs. That being the case anything under $1500 would be an acceptable price but I have seen them go for more than $2000 because as Charles said

the TV shows are driving the price. If I were going to spend that kind of money I would look at some of the new anvils that are made in your part of the country. Rhino anvils in particular but Nimba anvils also. They are more than excellent.

Seattle WA 

Anvils are crazy expensive up here it seems...

Welcome to the forum. If you put the location in your profile you might be surprised how many of the gang are close to you and we will not remember where you are ten min. from now. In my case that will be when I click on the next thread.:lol:

In my area that anvil would bring $700-$1000 if it passed the rebound & ring test and had no hidden damage.

33" long would put it close to 300lbs. That being the case anything under $1500 would be an acceptable price but I have seen them go for more than $2000 because as Charles said

the TV shows are driving the price. If I were going to spend that kind of money I would look at some of the new anvils that are made in your part of the country. Rhino anvils in particular but Nimba anvils also. They are more than excellent.

Well, I won the auction and got the anvil for $810. It was an online auction and I was not able to look at it in person, (or drop a bearing on it). I hope it is as nice as it seems and has no issues. I'll pick it up on Friday and see if I scored or not. 

Welcome to the forum. If you put the location in your profile you might be surprised how many of the gang are close to you and we will not remember where you are ten min. from now. In my case that will be when I click on the next thread.:lol:

In my area that anvil would bring $700-$1000 if it passed the rebound & ring test and had no hidden damage.

I will try to figure out the profile thing tonight... I'm kinda new to the inter-web as I've only been on the line for a little bit. :P

I will try to figure out the profile thing tonight... I'm kinda new to the inter-web as I've only been on the line for a little bit. :P

It's easy, go to your name (top right) and it gives a dropdown list, click on profile then up in the RH side there is an edit button. Click on it and a page where you can put in information.

From the anvil picture it looks like you did OK.

It's easy, go to your name (top right) and it gives a dropdown list, click on profile then up in the RH side there is an edit button. Click on it and a page where you can put in information.

From the anvil picture it looks like you did OK.

Thanks! Got the profile going too.

I'm 3 mi south of town. Have you heard of the Northwest Blacksmith Association? There are smiths all over. Check out blacksmith.org.  I'm a hobby Smith with limited time and tools, but I'm totally addicted and I'm really glad I've found IF I and NWBA to shorten my learning curve.

I'm NW of GF on the Engebretsen Rd. I have heard of NWBA, but I have not contacted anyone yet. I'll look into blacksmith.org too. Thanks for the tips.

Nice looking anvil. I'm gonna bet you won't be disappointed when it comes home! Looks like a Trenton, by the way...

Thanks, I'm really stoked!

Nice looking anvil.  I have 4 that are in semi-storage, as I am building a forging shed now behind the main shop.  Last time I pounded iron was around 1990.

I am in Port Angeles, not far from you.

I joined the NWBA a couple of months ago but have been very disappointed with the lack of participation by others.    Seems like a dead site to me.

I try to get to every monthly event I can, which are usually held in Longview wa. These generally have an instructive demo and an open forge time. Yes, the website seems to have less forum traffic than here but that doesn't mean nothing is happening. I find it very worth my time including a 3 hr drive each way. NWBA is a regional organization and the region is large. Some events are held in Oregon too

Nice looking anvil.  I have 4 that are in semi-storage, as I am building a forging shed now behind the main shop.  Last time I pounded iron was around 1990.

I am in Port Angeles, not far from you.

I joined the NWBA a couple of months ago but have been very disappointed with the lack of participation by others.    Seems like a dead site to me.

Good Morning John,

I am just across the puddle in Victoria. I go to Longview for the NWBA Spring Conference. It is worth the drive. Dean Moon is in Port Townsend, his wife takes care of the NWBA web-site and Forum. They are good people to meet if you can stretch your legs that far. The forum isn't as active as when Grant Sarver was driving the ship, but his sudden death, took the wind out of him.

Vancouver Island Blacksmiths Association have their monthly meetings the same day as the NWBA monthly get together in Longview. If you want to take a day or two trip, walk/jump on the Coho and I will pick you up on this side. We can spend a day or two, Touring and Forging.

Send me a PM if you are interested.

Thanks,

Neil

So, I got the new anvil home. I took a wire brush to it to see if I could make out the markings.

i was a little disappointed by the auction house as the dimensions the listed were not right. They said it was 33" x 5". It actually measures 30.25" x 4.25". 

The stump turns out to be a dried up cedar log. Very light and severely cracked. I am making a new pedestal out of offset 2"x12"s (a design I saw on this forum).

i did the ball bearing test and got as low as 75% in a couple of spots, but 85% +/- 5% over most of the face.

i took a couple of pics of the markings. Can anyone help ID it from them?

i will weigh it Monday, but for some reason I suspect it will only be 185 lbs ...  <_<

IMG_0218.JPG

IMG_0219.JPG

IMG_0217.JPG