I Forge Iron

Forged or ASO?

Nice looking anvil.  I have 4 that are in semi-storage, as I am building a forging shed now behind the main shop.  Last time I pounded iron was around 1990.

I am in Port Angeles, not far from you.

I joined the NWBA a couple of months ago but have been very disappointed with the lack of participation by others.    Seems like a dead site to me.

I've been to Port Angeles a few times to visit family.  My father-in-law is from WA and his nephew is Dan McKeen, your town manager and once fire chief.  It's a beautiful town.  I'll be out that way next summer if plans don't change.

Lou

Yes on the weight.  Please be sure to run your 2x12's Vertically and not a criss cross horizontal stack!  (We have a CL guy out here trying to sell a chunk of rail on a piece of plywood atop a criss cross stack of 2x4's with a hollow center which he claims quiets the anvil.  I guess he is unfamiliar with drums.....he extols it as "THE BASE IS SUPER STURDY AND HOLLOW ON THE INTERIOR WITH SPACES TO TAKE THE RING OUT OF THE ANVIL" .  12.5" piece of rail with no work done on it mounted on scrap lumber US$100--- I wonder if he's related to P.T.Barnum?)

Yes on the weight.  Please be sure to run your 2x12's Vertically and not a criss cross horizontal stack!  (We have a CL guy out here trying to sell a chunk of rail on a piece of plywood atop a criss cross stack of 2x4's with a hollow center which he claims quiets the anvil.  I guess he is unfamiliar with drums.....he extols it as "THE BASE IS SUPER STURDY AND HOLLOW ON THE INTERIOR WITH SPACES TO TAKE THE RING OUT OF THE ANVIL" .  12.5" piece of rail with no work done on it mounted on scrap lumber US$100--- I wonder if he's related to P.T.Barnum?)

Yeah, I saw the crib style base online and thought that it kinda defeated the purpose of having a quality anvil...

im going for something like this:

IMG_0221.JPG

(On edit)

My base has 8 - 2"x12" pieces, offset by 1"  then another 2"x12" on each end that is 3/4" longer to capture the base of the anvil.  The base measures 12 1/2" x 10" which will work out perfect for my stackup.

Ive got the first half glued and clamped up in the shop (my clamps are not big enough to do the entire stack. I've got enough threaded rod to run through the finished pedestal in 4 to 8 places). 

Beautiful!

I hold my stands like that together with the large hot galvanized bolts they use for guardrails out here---they show up at the scrapyard on a regular basis.  Also the eyebolts from utility poles, my local scrapyard is where the local electrical coop scraps their stuff.  I drilled the holes using an electrician's drillbit used to drill between studs in a wall. (My wood was free oak floorboards from a horse trailer---a very "rustic look"

Beautiful!

I hold my stands like that together with the large hot galvanized bolts they use for guardrails out here---they show up at the scrapyard on a regular basis.  Also the eyebolts from utility poles, my local scrapyard is where the local electrical coop scraps their stuff.  I drilled the holes using an electrician's drillbit used to drill between studs in a wall. (My wood was free oak floorboards from a horse trailer---a very "rustic look"

The pic is not of mine, I grabbed it from the interweb... My base will be a bit bigger and I am using treated lumber left over from my pole barn. 

I bet yours is really nice looking with the oak. I'd love to see a picture of that!

I wouldn't call mine nice looking. It's worn and weathered oak and I didn't do any sanding or planing but I did make several stands, the best pieces are a set of shelves on one wall.  I did a couple of stands with the seconds and then noticed that I was one stand away from having *every* anvil on a stand so I made the final stand from not 3rds but more like 17ths...Horses can be rough on wood....

There were pictures of them here at one time; I can try to get another set when I go back up the hill to teach on Oct 14.

To make them I cut the boards to size with the front and back ones a tad taller to trap the anvil. Then I lined them up on the open side of an I beam to get the bottom level. Pipe clamped them together several places and drilled the through holes. Then drove the bolts through and snugged them down and voila d'gambler an anvil stand!

One more pic.

i can't quite make out the maker's initial. Sometimes I see an "M" or an "N", and sometimes it looks like a lazy "Z".

what think you?

IMG_0223.JPG

The out of focus pic actually shows the mark better than the sharper ones I took... go figure.

• 3 weeks later...

Here’s the pedestal I spoke of making.

It’s not as nice as one made of a hardwood would be, but it wii do for now.

i used some old treated 2x12s I had left over from my pole barn. I glued them together, through bolted them with threaded rod, sanded it down a bit and then charred and finished with a light wire brushing to remove the slivers an splinters. It added a little character, that suits the106 year old anvil that is perched upon it.

But function over form... right? The anvil fits snug and sets solidly. It is working really well. 

BCD7AA24-3E95-454E-9E02-7D9E393AD64F.jpeg

9 hours ago, Irondragon Forge & Clay said:

I like it and it looks like your dog is thinking, oh boy a new post to visit.:)

If that were my rat terrier there would be a puddle already, he christened all of my posts before he passed away.

ha, fortunately the pup is a she... no leg lifting or christening! She was just hurrying to photobomb my picture..

IMG_20171007_123746377_HDR.jpg