I Forge Iron

Can you ID this found tool?

Kozzy

A local farmer when cleaning out his old barn ran across this tool sitting in the old forge.  Obviously, it's a piercing tool of some kind--but the back of the head doesn't have any hammer marks or wear.  It's not particularly hardened, either:  At best a low mid-hard toward soft.  That implies to me that it wasn't for piercing metal when forging but you never know.  Leather harness punch usually hit with a rawhide mallet?

Heck, it might be obvious to someone with more tools in their toybox than me.

I'd just like to be able to give a more definitive answer than "pointy thingie which would hurt bad if your Brother decided to test it on you"

Thanks

By "forge" in this case, I mean shoeing forge at the farm.  No possible way there was a power hammer (the 80 year old farmer would have remembered that).  Also, this particular farmer didn't acquire any of the tools when the only shop in the county with a power hammer went out.  He's cleaning out old junk from his Dad's days there and the family has had the farm for 100+ years.

I agree that leather punches are generally tubular--but something to pierce leather was the only thing I could thing of that was farm related for such a tool.  They ran a lot of mules and did do a lot of basic harness work.

Just now, Frosty said:

Something to break up coal? Nothing jumps out at me though, maybe a use will come to you.

Frosty The Lucky.

That's an interesting thought.  The lump coal that people used in their furnaces around here was quite large and I can see a farmer using that in his shoeing forge and needing to bust the pieces.  Explains the lack of any hammer marks on the back of the head too.  He said point was a bit mashed and he "resharpened" it a bit before he brought it in.

Sorry--I forgot to add that the tiles in the first picture are 12" square so the overall length is 16-1/4".  

And sorry if my earlier response to you sounded snotty at all.  That was not my intention.  My only intention was to express that a power hammer was unlikely and I was still grasping at straws with no good ideas.

9 minutes ago, Kozzy said:

Sorry--I forgot to add that the tiles in the first picture are 12" square so the overall length is 16-1/4".  

And sorry if my earlier response to you sounded snotty at all.  That was not my intention.  My only intention was to express that a power hammer was unlikely and I was still grasping at straws with no good ideas.

Snotty?! :blink: Brevity isn't snotty it's just not wasting words to no good purpose. Please don't let the recent threads make you over sensitive, even when you're ticked off you're a pretty nice guy. You'd have to abuse a: child, lady, horse or dog to offend Charles.

Frosty The Lucky.

3 hours ago, Charles R. Stevens said:

That about sums It up, Jerry. 

I just calls em like I sees em Charles. I've watched you take some pretty pointed abuse here and keep an even keel.  Like gentling down a rank horse. Brother you're going to have to ornery up a little to make Curmudgeon.

Frosty The Lucky.

I dont know if im stating the obvious, but it looks like a metal punch on a handle. possibly meant for widening a hole after one is made. Its not too far fetched that it could be a specific tool he made because he needed it. Farmers tend to make a tool instead of going to the hardware store to buy something.

Just a thought

46 minutes ago, Dave51B said:

I'm going to "guess" ice breaker for stock tanks....               Dave

That's a good one too--and follows the KISS principal well.  In the first photo, you can see the last 6" of the "handle" has been squared off which to me, implies there might have been a wood handle at one time over that section.  However, the end of that is simply hardy-cut and I don't see any provision to keep a handle on there.