I Forge Iron

Finally! First knife

Dodge

The blade started as 11 layers of Lennox commercial band saw blade alternating with 10 layers of steel banding. Both were 1.25" wide by not quite .06". The 21 layers were eventually forged into 63 layers. The pattern is a combination of ladder and raindrop. The handle is "bovine ivory" (beef bone) with brass hardware. I processed the bone at home and will not do it again but it was an interesting experience. LOL The blade is 4.5" and overall length is 8.5". Its also my first sheath.

5639.attach

5640.attach

Thanks, Peyton. I have to say, this wasn't done in a weekend ;) and there's a lot I would do different if I had to re-do.

Mark, I bought the raw bone from a butcher. Had to boil in a TSP solution to remove meat, marrow, grease, etc. Took the finish off the cabinet above the stove. Mrs. Dodge wasn't happy. (They need refinishing anyway. I said, "Its a start!") Then, figure how to cut to get the best usable pieces. I thought I had enough to make several knives, but as it turned out, I had to glue two pieces together. Might as well have done a full tang. Then there's the health issues with grinding bone. What a mess!! I really like the natural bone look, but next time I will just buy it ready to use. You still have to take precautions when grinding, but is not as bad as starting from scratch. I'm glad I did it though. Just another item I can add when I write my memoirs. LOL

LOL Steve. Photography certainly does this one justice, and it will never be one that anyone was sorry they bought. Besides, how could I sell my first born ;) Anyway, thank you and everyone else for your kind words.

Boiling obnoxious substances is what the great outdoors--or a junked stove in the shop was designed for!

My wife has made that clear to me as well! Alos to her as she sometimes dyes fibers for spinning and the dyes and mordants can be toxic as well---even the natural ones.

Thanks, Peyton. I have to say, this wasn't done in a weekend ;) and there's a lot I would do different if I had to re-do.

Mark, I bought the raw bone from a butcher. Had to boil in a TSP solution to remove meat, marrow, grease, etc. Took the finish off the cabinet above the stove. Mrs. Dodge wasn't happy. (They need refinishing anyway. I said, "Its a start!") Then, figure how to cut to get the best usable pieces. I thought I had enough to make several knives, but as it turned out, I had to glue two pieces together. Might as well have done a full tang. Then there's the health issues with grinding bone. What a mess!! I really like the natural bone look, but next time I will just buy it ready to use. You still have to take precautions when grinding, but is not as bad as starting from scratch. I'm glad I did it though. Just another item I can add when I write my memoirs. LOL

GREAT LOOKING knife!
Hmm! I can get all kinds of bones ! My grandpa is a butcher. LOL :D

Sweet looking knife Dodge. Thanks for sharing. I like the idea of your handle. Can you explain a little more about the usage of bone. For instance, why did you have to do the handle in pieces? Is it an inherent limitation with the dimensions of the bone, as in its walls are just so thick, or some other reason? How about the hardness and density of the material? Does it need sealing? Do you think it will stain easily? Etc???

Thanks Phil,
The leg bones (Tibia?) are just too big in diameter to use as is on anything but a very large knife. The smaller (Fibula?) was the wrong shape. I still would have had to use two pieces and a lot more grinding. That dust is NASTY! Perhaps there are other bones that would be more suitable but thats what my butcher had when I wanted to buy it. It is a very hard material and drills like real hard plastic or "Bakelight", but it will split on the exit if your not careful. Wall sizes vary greatly along the length. Thickest in the center and thinning and increasing in diameter at the ends. Many people stabilize bone. I did not. I have heard that it takes stain very well and I almost did but decided I like the natural look. I have many scraps I plan to experiment with tho ;) Right now all I have on it is Pledge. (It was handy LOL) I plan to put MinWax on it. I anticipate it yellowing with age but this is fine with me. Bone is a very nice material for handles but I would buy it ready to use next time. For more on the subject search the keyword, "bovine ivory". JPH (Jim Hrisoulas) explaines it well on another thread here.

Thanks John and others.

John, Do you use TSP in the process? When I did, I noticed that the top layer calcified or developed a very white chalky surface that had to be scraped and sanded down to get to the smooth "bone" colored bone;)
Are you using precautions when cutting and grinding? I hear the health hazards are bad enough to make this much more than an option! I didn't learn this until I had cut and ground quite a bit with out a dust mask, but I use one all the time now or do as much sanding as possible with wet or dry under running water to reduce dust hazards. Hope I didn't close the barn door too long after them pesky horses went on the lam :(