I Forge Iron

I have no tools

Hi everybody reading this, I am 100% new to blacksmithing, I want to know what is the best way to start black smithing. I want to make my own tools so for the time being I would be using something like a store brought claw hammer to forge as much as possible until I can forge my own hammer. Also was looking at using a big thick piece of mild steel as a makeshift anvil for the time being until I am sure this is something I will want to continue.

I am not sure if this is in the right section so if by chance it is in the wrong place I apologize.

Thanks for taking the time to read this in advance.

Hello, Loki Smith! Welcome to IForgeIron. 

First of all, thank you for putting your location in your profile settings. We have a number of Australian members, and you may be able to connect with them for information about what tooling is available near you. 

We have many, many threads here on IFI about how to get started, what you need at a bare minimum, what to look for, and so on. Rather than repeating all of that, I strongly suggest that you budget a big chunk of time to read over the forum as exhaustively as you can, looking in particular for threads on getting started, building a simple forge, makeshift anvils, and the like. You will learn a lot, and you'll be able to ask much better-informed questions.

For now, just let me say that you can forge with a claw hammer, but it's not a great idea. If you're planning on getting something from the hardware store, look for what's called a "drilling hammer". Again, this has been discussed already at length, so take a look for those conversations as well.

Best of luck!

Well hello, ... I'm impressed that you understand State-of-the-Art tools are not needed, in order to begin "hammering".

And further, I believe a willingness to improvise, is a fundamental aspect of Blacksmithing.

We see quite a lot of inquiries from beginners, who are essentially asking "where can I BUY all the things I need" ?

Which, in my estimation, misses the whole point of becoming a Blacksmith.

The question I think they should be asking, is "how do I go about making the things I need" ?

Purchasing Agents "buy" things, ... Blacksmiths "make" things.

Good Luck in making yourself into a competent craftsman.

From one beginner to another let me suggest perhaps looking at flea markets or swap meets. That's what they're called here in the states, not sure if they even exist in AUS. Basically a bunch of people selling antiques, tools, random stuff in booths. Failing that perhaps garage sales. I have gotten a bunch of chisels, punches, hammers, and such at these for very very cheap. Most of the hammers I paid 1-2$ US for, most of the chisels and punches 0.50$.  

Also I can't suggest the "Abana controlled hand forging" program enough as someone who's currently working my way through it. Good diagrams and descriptions with a heavy emphasis on safety. 

I went into blacksmithing with the same goals...and ended up giving in and buying some tools cheaply as Charcold suggests.  After two years in it I am still miles away from making my own hammers.  I have certainly made the tools I needed in order to make the tools I needed to make an item.  It is a rewarding journey.  

But be cautious.  Don't rely on minimalist tooling that is also dangerous.  Tongs, for example, done wrong can result in red hot steel flying in random directions.  Aside from safety, poor tooling can also make blacksmithing toilsome and, well....not fun.  If your tooling results in frustration think about cheating a little so that you feel yourself getting somewhere and have positive experiences at the forge.

Welcome aboard Loki, glad to have you. The gang has covered the important things I'd usually suggest to beginners.

Good eye protection is THE most important piece of gear you need. Next is NO synthetic clothing at the forge, anything more than around 300f that touches it melts it, sticks to your hide and deep fries it. This is NO FUN!

Try to divorce the philosophical desires from common sense necessities. Wanting to make Everything yourself, is a philosophical goal but you have to learn to do it. Just buy the basic stuff, making hammers isn't a beginner project unless you're participating in a hammer making class. Tongs take some basic skills, they're not advanced smithing but they're not a good beginner project. If you focus your first sessions on the skills you'll need to make tongs then they become just another exercise. 

Even the most spectacular examples of forged iron cathedrals, etc. are just precisely performed basic techniques assembled in ways to make the end products.

Good tools to make as a beginner are: chisels, punches, drifts, nail and rivet headers, nails. You'll use all of these in future projects and you can practice basic skills on things that won't hurt so much to ruin. Oh believe me you're going to ruin steel, we all do, get used to it. ;)

Have you decided what kind of forge you're going to make? Base the decision on the fuel you have most available, too many of us have built things only to discover we should've based the decision on resource availability. Forges are high on the oops! list. Don't get complicated trying to design the perfect, ideal or . . . whatever things till you've used one for a wile and know how it works and how you use it. This goes for all the tools, it's WAY easy to get carried away and make dust collectors.

Welcome to the addiction, it's more fun than a bucket of . . . something fun.

Frosty The Lucky.

The turm is "boot sale" as in selling out of the trunk if your car. 

a 1 1/2- 2 # (750-1000g) ball pein, cross pein or double jack hammer is a good start. I don't think your going to have much luck forging the punch and drift you need, much less the hammer head with a carpenters hammer.  

But with a few basic tools to start most everything else you sertainly can forge yourself, if you can find a striker

Where is that video of people forging with rocks for hammer and anvil...

I'd learn the skills first and then make the tools, what's that quote about “Always get over heavy ground as lightly as you can.”

With the skills you can tool down amazingly;  I can forge weld a billet using a hole in the ground, a rock and a hammer and a pair of pliers; however trying to *learn* that way I'd probably have died of frustration first.

Welcome to the forum and to smithing, I think the above replies have stated what you need to know and the only advice I can offer in addition is to make sure all your relatives, friends and neighbours know what you are attempting. You never know what people have sat in the back of a shed just waiting for a reason to dispose of it! Plenty posts here refer to gifted tools and materials, it happens all the time, people just need to know you may want whatever they are throwing away.

Thank you all for your replies, it has given me a few things to consider. 

A forge I am considering to build is a propane one with a venturi inlet I seen a video by Jarom Rush on how to build his forge. As he does not ship down to Australia I want to build one similar to his design. Here is the video 

its pretty easy from the looks f it, just 7x7x9 inch square with a few welds and it is pretty much done. Is this something that would last a while for someone interested in building tools and knife making. Some Mjolnir pendants are already being planned. :-) 

G'day Loki Smith ,

best advice I can give you is hook up with 1 of the local smithing groups here in Melbourne . They'll set you on the right path .

Here's the links to them . ( just don't tell them I sent you or they'll charge you double membership fees ) ... :)

http://www.abavic.org.au/

http://www.blacksmithing.com.au/

Dale Russell

2 hours ago, Charles R. Stevens said:

If you do your home work, they will dang neir bend over backwards to help. Well acualy as they are old farts, they will atleast stand up a bit straiter...

"When I stay straight, I’m right as rain,
But when I bend over, there’s a stabbing pain" ~~~

Underdog

Welcome!

as to the number of smiths from your neck of the woods just to name a few, look at this thread.

Littleblacksmith

• 2 months later...

I would like to welcome you to the group advise.. keep learning. Knowledge is power. And pratice make better ha. You will find that alot of Smith's are here to help you work through your problems. Work on control of the hammer and offsets. As they help alot. Stay active on the site. I've been reading here for yes and still show a newbie ha . Ask nothing wrong with not knowing.