I Forge Iron

Hi all! A mate of Ausfire hoping to add some content.

Brasso

Hi!

I have been pestered (joke) into coming here by Ausfire.... So I thought I would introduce myself...

My name is Morris Hunter... and I work with Ausfire.

We first met back in 1985 If I remember correctly....I was 10 yrs old.  We had a new year of school to look forward too, and a new teacher...!

That teacher turned out to be a lifelong mentor of mine! As a kid at that age, I was totally not prepeared for what was about to happen.

In grade 5.. I learned that Science was fun! I also learned that mathmatics was important!

Anyway, Mr. C (Ausfire) and I work together now. You have all seen the quality and imaginative pieces he produces.

I hope to be able to produce some (Casting)(mostly) photos of some of my work in the future.

All the best,

Morrie.

Hi Morrie,

Good see you decided to join the forum! I told you there was a lot to be learnt from this site. I know you have done a bit of lurking and reading the posts, so good on you for joining in. What Morris didn't say in his introduction was that he has already made some impressive progress with his brass casting. He uses my forge to melt the scrap brass and just yesterday he created a very respectable brass belt buckle with a raised anvil design on a textured background. I hope you post a  picture (Frosty will tell you - we LIKE pictures) and perhaps get some advice on how to attach the necessary parts to the back of the buckle. There are some very knowledgeable and helpful folks on here.

I once cad'd my 165# PW anvil's shape and then printed it at different scales till I got one I liked.  Cut it out and applied it to a piece of plexiglass and then cut and filed that till I had a plexiglass positive that would work for making petrobond oilsand casting molds and then used drill bits to create the sprues and vents such that the vent works for making the projection to insert in the belt holes and the sprues were filed and sized to take a crossbar for the belt end to go around.  I ended up casting it in silver as it was still cheap back then. 

Welcome aboard Morrie.  Ausfire is already a highly regarded contributor here...you went ahead and made him a hero.  He was clearly one of the special teachers they make movies about.

Look forward to some pictures of your castings.

Lou

Thanks everyone! Yes, Ausfire sure does some neat stuff. I have watched his demos daily for a few years now and never get tired of them.

As for pics, I am working on that... still learning the forum and seeing how good my new phone camera is etc..etc..

Testing a photo now to see...

I have heard you fellas like pics.

20170716_151229.jpg

12 hours ago, Dave51B said:

Nice.... Brasso....Sounds like you two are having to much fun. I suppose now yer gonna tell us you get paid to play together.

Life is Good                      Dave

Dave,

I notice your avatar photo. We won't tell you that Morrie (Brasso) does our daily engine starts - playing with six of the most immaculately restored John Deere tractors.

Life is indeed good.

1 hour ago, ausfire said:

Dave,

I notice your avatar photo. We won't tell you that Morrie (Brasso) does our daily engine starts - playing with six of the most immaculately restored John Deere tractors.

Life is indeed good.

With that being said.....Now, I know you guys are having way to much fun, and I am really (can't say PO'ed) jealous. I have to do a search to see how far you are from my brother-in-law......maybe have him go and harass you guys....I suppose next yer gonna tell me they are all 2 cylinder tractors. I do have a few of those here.        Life is Good             Dave  

Ok, you guys are safe......he is 28hrs. away....in the ACT......He He.......               carry on           Dave

3 hours ago, Dave51B said:

I suppose next yer gonna tell me they are all 2 cylinder tractors.

Yep, all 2 cylinders.

A '37 AOS Orchard tractor, '32 GPWT- OTS Wide Tread, '34 GP Beaner, '37 B Model, '37 BR and... wait for it...... A 1916 R Model Waterloo Boy. All fully restored and running. 

4 hours ago, Brasso said:

Yep, all 2 cylinders.

A '37 AOS Orchard tractor, '32 GPWT- OTS Wide Tread, '34 GP Beaner, '37 B Model, '37 BR and... wait for it...... A 1916 R Model Waterloo Boy. All fully restored and running. 

Very nice line up you have there...Do you get to work them any? There is a tractor club, about an hour east of me in Rushville In. that has 2  lineshaft buildings that I would love to belt up one of the unstyled A's to. Not much in life sounds better than an old 2 cyl. JD under load.....                     Life is Good               Dave

Hi Morrie. I don't know how I missed your intro. Must be nice to work with someone for so many years without having to. Say a relative who can't find employees.

Nice belt buckle, I see you know to how light a photograph. We'll have to work on your choice of background though. ;)

Frosty The Lucky.

On ‎26‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 2:15 PM, Brasso said:

Yep, all 2 cylinders.

Morrie, you are a cruel man. Poor Dave is still wiping the drool off his keyboard. Do you think we should risk a photo of the Waterloo Boy to make him weep?

28 minutes ago, ausfire said:

Morrie, you are a cruel man. Poor Dave is still wiping the drool off his keyboard. Do you think we should risk a photo of the Waterloo Boy to make him weep?

Hey no  fair.......2 against 1.....I'll just add a little meat to the pie...(oh, I love meat pies by the way) I have my tissues handy.....Life is Good                     Dave

Alfalfa patch 2005 002.jpg

OK....I'm better now. I think I will be able to reply....got the eyes dry and twitches gone....Thanks guys, You have a very nice lineup there. Very nice.....I see the paint is still on the steel wheels. Do you get a chance to take em' out and work em' a bit? To me having those sitting in a barn not working is...wait for it......as bad as having an good anvil for yard art.... such a waste. I heard some rumors of some nice tractors in a shipping container headed Aus. a while back. Hmmm.... Brasso, you best be taking good care of those! I bet they sound good in that metal building....Thanks for the pics by the way.     Life is Good  ( In Aus. too )           Dave 

Na Dave, these don't get worked. We start them up daily for our visitors to hear and see running and that's about it. Sometimes we will take one or two to a local agricultural field day. We have an old grey Fergie that can do a bit of work if the need arises. The Deere's are to stay in showroom condition. Yeah, they do sound nice in the shed but the fumes can be a bit much for some people.

All the best,

Brasso.

It's OK, I understand the showroom condition thing. The regular start ups make me feel a bit better. I notice there are no oil stains on the floor under them. Unlike most working tractors, that have an occasional drip. Do you have much trouble with condensation in the transmissions and final drives? In my area, I need to crack open the drain plugs once in a while to let a bit of water out.

Yes, I would think it would get a bit fumie in there if ya start all of em'. Most people don't realize it's about a 12 step process to start an old Deere. And each tractor has it's own little quirk. Again, very nice line up and I still think you guys are having way to much fun...

Thanks Guys                              Life is Good              Dave

No trouble with condensation Dave, altho I had the wide track cylinders fill up with fuel once. That was NOT fun. Also filled the sump with fuel (gasoline). Had to drain and fill a couple of times to get that right. Turned out that the fuel tap is off at 45 degrees... NOT at the factory 90 degrees and overnight EVERYTHING filled with petrol (Gas i spose). I found out because the flywheel felt hard and squirted liquid petrol from the de-comps for a lot of turn-overs. VERY slow turnovers so as to not ignite. Got that cleared and drained and replaced the sump oil a few times and good as new... Lesson learned... Know how your fuel tap works. As for oil leaks... we now have sawdust trays under all the tractors, English cars, American cars, all Nations motorcycles and small engines. EVERYTHING here leaks a little bit...

All the best,

Brasso