Jump to content
I Forge Iron


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

About Brasso

  • Rank

Profile Information

  • Gender
  • Location
    Herberton, QLD, Australia
  • Interests
    I find everything in the universe interesting. Maybe not doof doof doof music but I'm sure there is something to be learned from that too...

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. Ausfire has internet issues and can not log in at the moment, he asked me to post a photo of his adjustable twisting jig.
  2. Hi guys, We finally got around to making another video. I hope it is okay to link to Youtube.
  3. You can almost see your face on that well used anvil!
  4. My pleasure. There's even a Kookaburra laughing at you right at the end!
  5. A slow motion video (phone) of the bounce of Ausfire's anvil. A Kohlswa I believe. I apologize if I have posted in the wrong place or format or anything else. I'll let Aus add any details. Produce_0.mp4
  6. What do you feed Stanley Ausfire? Congrats on the champion ribbon!
  7. Hi Rick, Is this the sort of thing you were thinking about? This was one of my first prints and is pretty rough. I just gave it a quick scuff up with sandpaper and whacked some cheap artists acrylic paint on it. With a bit of filler and some more sanding I think it would make an acceptable pattern for a mould? The only glass work I have done was making beads a long time ago but without a kiln I had problems with them shattering without the annealing process. The STL file is available on Thingiverse if you can find someone with a 3D printer, or I could print you a couple up and post them to you, but I am in Australia so postage may be slow and expensive. All the best, Brasso
  8. That is some nice looking knife hardware John! I've had my Tarantula for a few weeks now and feel I've learned a lot, tho there is a lot more to be learned. After having a good play around with what it can and can't do, now it's time for upgrades for smoother, squarer finer detailed parts. Definitely not plug and play and definitely not for you if you are not a "tinkerer".
  9. Wow Aus! Your photos make it look so simple! 1. The pattern. Green jewellers wax. Scaled from a google images pic to 90mm length on my pc screen then traced (paper on the screen style) and transferred to wax. Carved using mini milling machine, hacksaw, wax file, scalpel blade and various other methods. Cut in half with hacksaw and locating pins epoxied in. 2. Flat half of pattern, lightly powdered in the cope or drag... I can never remember which is which. 3. Ramming a bit of sand 4. Cracked a crucible but proceeding anyway. 5, 6 and 7. Powdering the parting surface with an old tin of Johnson's Baby Powder. 8. Pulling the pipe after ramming the top half. 9. Separated the two half. Looks good. 10. Cut the runner? with pocket knife and press loose sand back in. 11. Pour. Without degassing or anything fancy. 12, 13. Played the waiting game. It is like opening a Christmas present. Thanks for letting me use the forge and taking some lovely pics Aus! Any tips and tricks, questions or constructive criticism welcome. Brasso
  10. Thanks guys. $20 US is about $27.50 Aussie and that sounds pretty reasonable. I hadn't thought that far ahead Frosty. I was just going to make a few of them for fun, but they might actually sell so we'll see. At 200g or 7oz on a hardwood "stump", they would make a nice paperweight.
  11. Hi all. I've been working on this for a while and finally got one poured today. The pattern was carved from green jewellers wax and I used homemade greensand for the mould. This is the first casting from the pattern and it turned out pretty well. There are still a few things I want to tidy up, but I am quite pleased with the result and wanted to share. I only took a pic after it was done because I thought I'd have to make a heap of refinements to the pattern, which I still have to do but nothing major. I'm absolutely sure that Ausfire will want one of these, so I will snap a few pics of the process of making his
  12. Hi Janghas, as Aus said, I did manage to smelt some metallic tin from cassiterite, although not a lot. All I did was mix the cassiterite with fine charcoal and a spoon full of Borax for good luck, threw it in a crucible with a layer of fine charcoal on top to keep oxygen out, and set it in the open forge. I wound the handle for about 15 minutes, allowed it to cool somewhat, then tipped the whole mess out and allowed it to cool right down. Not expecting results, I was quite surprised to find a few blobs of shiny metal among the rubbish. A few bits the size of corn kernels and more like bird shot. 2 or 3 trials later and I had just over an ounce of metallic tin. Next time I will grind my tin finer as I was using alluvial stuff that I panned myself and was a bit coarse. Also I would not charge the crucible as much because it expanded on heating much more than I expected. Good luck with your experiments and stay safe. Brasso.
  13. Glad you like it!! I hope it doesn't go "straight" to the pool room... I need to know if it will wear well. I have a dozen or so to make for a local club and they need them to last! Twas fun making it.... enjoy Aus.. The "A" stands for anvil and the 001 is obvious.
  • Create New...