I Forge Iron

New Knife Law in Texas

Mark Ling

Thought some of Ya'll other Texans would benefit from hearing this.

This law though does not go into effect until September 1, 2017.

https://kniferights.org/legislative-update/action-alert-knife-rights-texas-illegal-knife-repeal-bill-hearing/

Littleblacksmith

17 minutes ago, Jackdawg said:

So it will be perfectly fine to carry a knife with a 5" blade in to schools etc?

Just as well you have such a good health care system over there, oh wait.......

"These knives may be carried throughout the state except in a narrow list of places such as schools, colleges, correctional facilities, houses of worship, and bars that derive more than 51% of their income from alcohol sales. Minors are also restricted as to when they can carry these knives."- Texas Knife Law Reform Bill

pulled from the article above. I just noticed it also mentions restrictions on minors, I will have to see what those restrictions are....

The thing is, what's the big deal if it is illegal to carry them into schools, the people who would don't care about the law. Heck, with enough motivation you don't have to have a knife to hurt someone purty badly.

Littleblacksmith

When I was a kid, I had to carry a knife to school to play Mumbly-peg during recess.  Nobody ever thought anything about a boy carrying a pocket knife to school in those days.  Worst that was likely to happen was cutting a finger while sharpening a pencil.

I wish we could carry knives at school. I have sharpened many a pencil with a pair of scissors, would have been nicer if I had a knife with me. we've had quite a few kids bring knives to school, I know of one in town who brought a gun. The knives were brought by "accident" though.

Littleblacksmith

Thomas,

I was posting with tongue in cheek about the Biro brothers invention of the ball point pen. 1943. (er ball point quill.).

The steel point pen was patented, in England, by Bryan Donkin 1808. And Lewis Waterman invented the fountain pen in 1884.

Incidentally, there were two obstacles to overcome in order to make the ball point pen practical. Namely a suitable ball and the more daunting task of formulating an ink that would flow and instantly harden when it reached the writing surface.

But fellow IForgeIron citizens do NOT take my word for it. Please consult this reference for the stirring details. It makes for gripping reading.

http://blogs.ubc.ca/etec540sept10/2010/10/31/the-invention-of-pen-and-paper/

Back to smith related subjects!

SLAG.

I remember walking onto a plane carrying swords with no problem. My SAK has pretty much been around the world before they stopped letting me take it on the plane---ant they did allow pocket knives on a plane for a long while with gradually increasing limits, like length of blade or the silly one no serrated blades. (which was silly as they allowed my SAK because the blade was not serrated; but the next one over was the wood saw that was "aggressively serrated")

• 1 month later...