I Forge Iron

Jasen's smithing progression.

Jasent

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I forged the taper then punched the pupil hot then filed to shape.  Also did another eye punch I haven’t got to test yet.  

Thank you cgl. I must have watched brain’s video 10 times at half speed before I started this one

im not quite happy with the muzzle but I think I know what I need to do differently next go

I like this one a bit better.  Played with the mane a bit as I would like my horse heads to be more unique.  May try my feather texture next on the mane. I am happy with the muzzle 

i need to make myself self a better horn.  The bick I did just isn’t cutting it

BBFE9F91-8342-4080-976A-C4EA9D5ED37B.jpeg

Love the eye punch, especially the tear drop shape.

I've seen some where they use a fuller to draw out the mane like a leaf or knife blade, and I like the look it gives. Kinda like wind going through the mane. I don't have any of my tools, but I did a quick mock up with clay, a lighter(fuller), a knife(chisel) and a pencil(large and small ball punch) to show what I mean.

Now you have me wanting to go back to the 3d horse head that started my owls

IMG_20200127_113936480.jpg

IMG_20200127_114739415.jpg

Wow, that is really cool..   Unless you have a reason not to.. I'd put a leg/foot on the bottom to make contact with the face of the anvil.. Make it just a little bit taller than with the downward pressure. 

This would stabilize the tip of the bick more..  

That is really, really cool..  My happy face turned on when I saw it..  Well done. 

Did my first stainless knife. Forged from 5/8” round. Unknown SS that will harden. Forged to final shape except for filing the edge.   I have no tools for polishing so I tried draw filing it.  Think I need more practice as it was tough keeping the file clean. Tried oil tried chalk ended up using chalk and just cleaning file ever few pulls. May just need to sharpen the files.   Was fun project.  Scales are from broken broom handle. Pins are aluminum.  

91AE12E6-5A95-4F02-8A2D-7FA947C9A37E.jpeg

FAE9C608-B52D-44CF-A7E2-DAEC33270152.jpeg

8BB0E2F6-7A31-403F-BAE3-A7504BA3A3D0.jpeg

How long did it take you to forge the knife? I've been practicing in 5160 and it's taking me so long I'm probably ruining them. But I'm new to forging that material. I'll have to do a lot of filling also. I do have a 1"×30" belt and disc sander, but that's about it. It's a good thing I like filing more than I used to. Good work as usual