Jasen's smithing progression.

Jasent

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, CrazyGoatLady said:

. I'm probably too picky and fiddly with my stuff though. Keep it up :D

I get that way with new projects some times.   With something like this I’ve now made 27 of these.  Was kinda therapeutic as I didn’t need to think. Just let my hands do the motions.  

Yeah I hear that. Over the last month or two, I haven't gotten a lot of time at the forge. Not much of making the same things with everything recently being different Christmas gifts for different people. With the exception of the leaf key rings. They were getting quicker and not having to give it as much thought after awhile. When I start something completely new, it seems it takes forever and sometimes several of not so great efforts

Summer, spring,fall I’m working  or hunting.  Typically trap in the winter but just didn’t have a pull for it this year.  Fur prices are low and I got steel in the bin.  May as well stay home with the wife to be and pound steel.  

We have 28 chickens, 27 rabbits, 6 goats, 3 dogs and 3 humans besides myself. Roughly have half the livestock we did this time last year. Maybe I'll have a little more time this season. Blacksmithing is my luxury so unfortunately, it has to go the back burner sometimes. Your making good use of your time. I'm glad your getting to do so much of what you love 

Yes that’s how I been doing it once I realized what pain it was doing it on the bench.   Plus it was too cold in the smithy for the paint to cure well.  Hung some bailing wire in the well house and that was so much better!   Paint cures nice and I can paint the whole thing with out touching them.  

Got 7 hanging in there now that should be ready for pick up today.   

Been rearranging the smithy this week.  Was just getting too cramped.  Hopefully today I can  work in there and see if I like it better.   

I have no shortage of wire on the farm.  Literally find it everywhere it seems.     

These are the first products I’ve painted and I think they look nice.  It’s faster than waxing or oiling.

Im happy to get some returns on my forging.  I should get some more steak flippers done up before spring.   May do some bottle openers today if I get a chance. Broke my Ladle  yesterday so that will be first fix.