I Forge Iron

Jasen's smithing progression.

Jasent

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you cgl.  Bear oil has many uses.  Was used like money at one point.  Not so common anymore.  Thinking about bear makes me hungry for huckleberry pie.  Only had a hour in the shop so I didn’t get to finish the hammer.  Hopefully tomorrow I can get it done and start another using a different method 

1 hour ago, JHCC said:

My uncle used to rub it on his scalp to keep from going bald. It didn’t work.

:o  I’m surprised, been told I will put hair on your chest B)

,Bear oil does have many uses still applicable today:  it makes an excellent leather conditioner, it can be substituted for lard in nearly any recipe especially for pastries, it makes a great lamp oil (smokeless), can be used as a lubricant for metal (including firearms), it can be used to make soaps, and it can be used to treat skin issues such as:  dry skin, chapped skin and as a salve alone or as a base, and makes great pemmican! 

Been working on hammers this week and was really getting sick of my striking anvil being too short.  So a made a new stand for it.  It’s louder and I’ll probably fill the legs with sand and oil and cap them off.  It’s perfect hight now! Tested with a 2x4 and 4x4.   Still have to add a few touches like a swinging tool tray and such.   

9C507519-6F1D-49AF-A9EF-35B025449555.jpeg

Started on plant hangers yesterday.  Guess I’m ready for spring.  Also did one like my leaf coat hooks but it’s hanging in the well house for painting.   Textured with my new tools.   May have todo some branch plant hangers

A8AE084D-9E41-43FF-AC9D-EC969FDB928D.jpeg