I Forge Iron

Jasen's smithing progression.

Jasent

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought it looked hard too. Was fun! I knock it over the edge to open it a bit then do the rest over my fuller and clean up over the anvil.   Then pean the edge on the edge.  Then scroll the top and bend it over.  Was pretty quick really

Good day in the shop today.  Made my first brooch.  89C3E2E0-0151-441A-964A-01600E137B7C.thumb.jpeg.1fc5acfc84bb0659fb8f83dbd2ed468c.jpeg

Did a pair of curve bill tongs for small round stock that’s a pain to pick up out of the forge. 24th pair

1A0C50AC-2CDC-47F8-BB1F-1CD2A433F2A1.thumb.jpeg.025ebcae4fc6af506d2e06a5b66f328a.jpeg

And a new soft hammer. 4.20 lbs for my struck tools1E2D9527-B5D6-497B-AD1E-1ADEBFDA3A69.thumb.jpeg.4bdb61cffdd9911a7eea410cec0aea81.jpeg

2F1EDE31-477A-4454-9BD3-D9A304262016.thumb.jpeg.96bc3a590879ede98cf6e6524f7cdced.jpeg

Thank you cgl 

The pin slides nice but I think in use the twist would keep it from shifting.  Was super simple to make.  I’m not sure I like the termination but I wanted it to be snag proof.   The knife works very well for chopping.  

Oh that's nice. I think I'll do the same with the one near me. I usually use varathane paste wax, but I need a food safe finish. Would be neat to support a local business and promote that in my work and farm. We are big on" buy local" and we provide eggs and meat so I'd like to give back where I can. 

Well they are sold out at the moment.  We prefer to buy local as well.  For my steak flippers I’ve been wiping down with bacon grease and baking at 475 till they stop smoking. That seasons them very nice and they are not sticky.  Basically same as I do for my cast iron pans.   I’ll keep my eyes out for bees wax and continue to use the BLO for the non cookware till then.  Though people are liking the painted coat hooks.  

Today I’ll have to shovel a path to the smithy.  We’ve had over 2’ of snow in the last few days.  Got over a 40 hour week in the last 3 days plowing and more snow coming Thursday- Monday. 

I have never used BLO on anything that touches food.  Just recently started using it on decorative stuff.   Before that I just used canola oil on everything 

i do have some bear oil I should try.  It’s great for cooking!

Well bear is also not kosher or halal.

I expect most of us know that Boiled Linseed Oil contains toxic driers in it and so is not food safe; but there is always new folk, especially young people who don't know and so repeated mentions are a safety factor.   Now edible linseed oil sold at health food stores is supposed to be one of the fastest building seasoning agents.  (Ran across that when I was browsing on seasoning cast iron to see if anybody had a better way than what I grew up with.  I also found the lye soak to remove crudded up gunk which is safer for the cast iron than the "burn it clean" method.)

3 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

Well bear is also not kosher or halal.

That is to say, it is both trief and haram. 

3 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

edible linseed oil sold at health food stores

Usually as “flax seed oil”.

Spending my highschool years in a community that was heavily jewish (and having read the restrictions in our bible study) I was pretty up on Kosher; but I had to look up on the restrictions for halal---bears fall under the "no omnivores" clause.

Back to chewing my cud and hiding my cloven hoofs!